990 stock muffler heat

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Lennys, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Lennys

Lennys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a new 13 990 adv baja.Cant belive how much heat is put off just before the mufflers, im sure this is do to the restriction in the stock mufflers, has anyone seen a drop in temp with after market slip ons.
  2. stephanektm

stephanektm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had this problem with my 950 2009! Burning restrictive mufflers! Got them off real quick! Put some wings on there! Problem solved!!!

Sold my 950 in may this year so now im stuck with the same problem on my 990 baja as well!! So guess what? Changing those damn mufflers!! Crazy hot those things!! There's a catalyctic converter in there!! No wonder they heat up! Pretty sure i could cook an egg on em! And they weigh a ton!!

So of course if you change the mufflers you will see improvement!! Dont forget to get the akra mapping as well! Good heat and good luck!
  3. Lennys

Lennys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went on a 50 mile run today on PCH to get away from the heat next to the ocean and i had shorts on , HOLLY CHIT if i got a red light my legs were cooking ,im a FMF fan so i think this will be my choice.
  4. stephanektm

stephanektm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My girlfriend got hot behind the knees cause of those mufflers! Seriously hot!! I found 2 fmf's Q4 almost new for 375$! Pickin'em up on tuesday!! Can't wait!! Oh yeah!!
  5. Lennys

Lennys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me know how they work(heat/sound ) for you.
  6. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    i replaced my stock ovens with a set of CF Leo's and now i can touch the silencers after a ride without gloves. the header still gets hot, but the silencers are much, much cooler.

laramie :beer
  7. Lennys

Lennys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im thinking i may also make some heat shilds out of alum or wrap them with heat wrap