Tablets

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Grizzwald, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Grizzwald

Grizzwald Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is anyone using a Samsung galaxy or I touch player on their bike for the radio and mp3 usage ?
  2. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk

There was a thread on this a few days ago, didn't try real hard but I didn't see it. Interested though.
  3. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I use an iPod Touch via Bluetooth into a Sena SMH10 to listen to music on my bikes.
  4. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" via blue tooth to my helmet headset is very nice. :dj :muutt:kurt:dunno

:lol3

Q~
  5. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    I got a Nexus 7 for Christmas that I am tempted to use on the bike.

I might even mount it over the KLR dash as my heads up display, but I worry about the vibes.
  6. Reislust

Reislust Still alive

Oddometer:
    fabbed a removable mount for my truck dash, was thinking about building something up for the bike. Mine is also a Galaxy Tab 2 7" you'd be amazed at all the things you can do using the android app Tasker with regard to music functions and ignition triggers...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    Wow, well done :clap
  8. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Nice work!! :clap:clap:clap
  9. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    I got a Nexus 7 also and thought I'd like to use it on the bike but when I tried the GPS app in my truck it was horrible. Seems it won't work properly when there isn't any wi-fi access which is stupid.

It'd still be nice for BT music to the Senna but will changing songs etc require a stylus or one of those special gloves??
  10. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    It SHOULD work fine without wifi connected, but you need an app that downloads the maps for offline use. OSMand is good and a member here has made a motorcycle specific version called Dual Sport Maps. Although you can also download regions for offline use in Google Maps.

It kind of depends on your gloves. Thick winter gloves wont work, but thin summer ones will....at least well enough to hit the track forward button.

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk 2
  11. GaM

GaM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about using a nexus 7 since I lost my gps on a trail somewhere. I use dual sport maps on my android phone. I read where some guy mounted one and vibrations were just to much so he put it in the map section of a tank bag. I've been looking for a very thin tank bag, I don't really like those big lumps stuck out in front of me.
  12. Reislust

Reislust Still alive

Oddometer:
    Yeah, while the tablets have a gps chip, they need a data connection to receive the maps and plot routes unless one of the aforementioned offline map programs is used. You can use the tether feature to provide WIFI access to the tablet if your phone has it or if it's a rooted android or jailbroken iphone. I have had limited success by plotting the route within WIFI range and then leaving, it seems to work unless you exit the maps app... For the moment I have used an old otter box on top of my Bags Connection tankbag mount to provide a somewhat water resistant home for my tunes. Google voice is getting pretty good for voice commands and my Cardo Scala Rider Q2 makes for a seamless interface. Don't have any good pics of it with me...
  13. Balootraveler

Balootraveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use an Itouch with Scala 2 works like a charm, just wish I had better speakers
  14. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are dozens of offline map programs.
  15. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uhh, user error... That's the Google maps app. Download copilot or some other asp that works offline (you can also download Google map data for offline use but it won't calculate routes for you).
  16. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I'm using an older non touch iPod nano that has buttons. Works much better than the iphone did and I can pause or skip songs easily. I have it velcroed to the RAM mount that used to hold my iphone 4.
  17. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    If you have a Sena SMH-10, you can skip tracks forward and back using the jog dial on the Sena. No need to touch the tablet at all for that.
  18. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    The newer GL tank bag is pretty thin and the Nexus fits like they were made for each other.

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collections/giant-loop-gear-collection/products/diablo-tank-bag
  19. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    That's good, one issue solved, thanks.
  20. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    Recommend any one in particular?

I've looked at a few but I'm no tekkie can't really decide which is better.

I don't mind using my Zumo and the Nexus if they can display slightly different maps, say one zoomed out further and one close to show the small routes and trails.