Airhead for the adventure

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by hootch, Dec 30, 2012.

1. hootch

hootch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have that a "74" R75/6 that I got super cheap. It runs, but will need a some TLC. How can I set this up for dirt/long haul adventuring considering my 29" inseam? HPN's are nice, but they are super tall! Does anyone know of a way to get 8-9 inches of suspension travel and still have a seat height of under 32"? I currently ride a 02 1150GS, so am no stranger to heavy tall bikes. I'm hoping to make this bike have good suspension, reliable, and at least 60 hp. Hopefully the day will come when I can take this bike and see the world. This will be a 2-3 year project as I'm finishing my Bachelors right now. Lots of time to gather parts. I just need some ideas of frame modifications or replacements that will work for my application. There are some awesome bikes in the dirt bike section here, but I couldn't touch the damn ground with them! Thanks
  2. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check this thread out for some ideas, as you will soon be bombarded with opinions. There are a lot of things that can be done if you have the budget. My personal opinion, get the bike running like a top and throw some dual sport tires on it, then ride the holy shite out of it. You've got to figure out what you need by exceeding the bikes limitations. It's cheaper that way:D No way to keep it on the short side if you want to increase your suspension travel. You can always dish out the seat. Good luck and keep us in the loop.....and post a pic of the bike.!
  3. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something like this wouldn't be too hard to do. Husky front end and an extended swinging arm

[​IMG]

or

I think that this was the laverda built prototype of the original G/s looks a very useable machine.

[​IMG]
  4. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    Yep ... it's a DRZ400, made by Suzuki.

:hide

My '85 Monolever has 9" up front and about 7" in the rear ... and my seat height is at 34". I removed an inch of foam, and designed my own rear swingarm. It will be very difficult to get 8-9 inches of travel without doing some serious frame mods. Now, you can get 5-7 inches of travel (still a great trail rider) without going big on the mods.

Edit: Meet the Dobber.
    [​IMG]
  5. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    It depends what you mean by long haul adventure, if you are talking about riding around the world I would suggest that you overhaul the bike and take it as it is. When in developing countries you will rarely be exceeding 50 or 60 mph so don't need 60 bhp, I have travelling in South America with a friend on his ex-police R80 twin shock and it went everywhere my GS went without a problem. Unless you partcularly want this style of bike a standard /6 will go anywhere with a pair of knobbly tyres and some GS handlebars.
    Here is a link to a write up about a friend of mine who rode around the world on her R60/6 in the 1980's which may be of interest.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_0705_elspeth_beard/viewall.html
  6. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:

And for a long time she has been traveling together with a good friend of mine on his standard 75/6.
    That bike did 400.000 km on that trip.
  7. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    exactly. there's a difference between building a dirt bike and building a bike that will travel the world. I think what you want is something bulletproof that will run like a tank. I'd work on bracing the frame, subframe, build good luggage brackets, bashplate,etc. a good pair of modern heavy duty shocks, fork rebuild and dualsport tires and that bike will go damn near anywhere. A dirt bike isn't always an adventure bike.
    as for the mechanicals, go through the engine, compression check, etc. get to know that bike like the back of your hand, know how to take it apart using the tools you will be carrying. have the tranny rebuilt, new bearings, shift spring,etc, the tranny is the weak link on these bikes. upgrade the charging system, and make sure the starter is good. do a total rebuild on the carbs, and carry a spare rebuild kit, it doesn't take up any room. as for the ignition system, I'd leave the standard points, and simply carry a spare set, last thing I would want is for some fancy elec ignition to go up in smoke in east bumfuck, points work, and can be easily replaced. like said above, your not gonna be worried with absolute performance, BUT you will want the bike to be as bulletproof and sturdy and you can make it.
    keep us posted on your progress.
    while I have a garage of bikes, and usually ride my r100r/gs bastard, and plan on getting a new wee strom, it would be my trusty 78 /7 that would be bike I'd choose to do a trip such as yours, and it would get all the mods I've mentioned above, and a bunch I'm sure I'm forgetting right now!
  8. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with mark, I travelled around the world in the 70s and 80s 2 up, on stock road BMWs, the only modifications were koni's on the rear, harder springs up front, thick base gaskets to lower the compression and electronic ignition. Not many real problems and lots of dirt roads. In those days dual sport tyres did not really exist, Dunlop K70s were about the only choice. Roads around rhe world might be better now, but you will still spend much of your time under 60mph, so economy and low speed performance will be important. By the time you have added panniers and stuff all that lovely long suspension stuff will be just farkles.
  9. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    Long suspension is really about speed -- it has trickled down onto civilian bikes from the race crowd. The faster you want to go on rough terrain, the more travel you need. If you slow down and enjoy the ride, you don't need 8" of suspension. You say you want to "see" the world, not "race" the world. So...see it.
  10. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is another of Birgit with partner Sam, again it does not show her bike very well but suffice to say it went everywhere Sam's GS did on their travels together.

There are more photos of both bikes and riders here. http://www.sam-manicom.com/photos/#!lightbox[402]/7/

[​IMG]
  12. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    don't let the R1200gs guys see those pics, some of them think they invented adv touring!:rofl
  13. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    not to derail the thread, but does anyone have any substitutes for dirt bike handlebars instead of gs bars? bmw seems to want a few bars of gold for a set of handlebars, while I can get a set of dirt bike bars for 20-25 bucks. yeah, I know gonna have to grind em down a bit for the controls, but 25 bucks compared to 162 bucks????? The bmw execs must want to drive mercedes!:lol3

I like the bend and height of gs bars, what dirt bike bend would be similar? lots of modern dirt bikes have rather flat bars that won't be comfortable for me, and yes, I already have risers, I run a heinrich tank that puts me about 4 inches further back in the seat.
  14. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are a few dirtbike bars that have that much rise, but generally ATV bars are a cheaper substitute and have plenty of rise.
  15. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    1978 R80, somewhere in Peru 1981

[​IMG]

Prepping R90/6 in Australia

[​IMG]
  16. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be watching this one too. Must be the winter blahs that have me dreaming of doing the exact same thing with Otto (my R100T). I have been perusing CL for KLR 650s and DRZ 400s. But I would rather spend that $$ on upgrades and updates for Otto. The fenders and the exhaust are what I am struggling with. The stock fenders on a non-GS airhead are too close to the tire IMO. The exhaust is too low, and I need a good bash plate for the sump pan (I have an extended "deep" pan).

The other thing I already know about my bike is that the 32/11 final is way too tall for technical hill climbing or slow trails. Not sure how your R90 is geared but look into that. As Jenna says, get it a-runnin' and find out what YOU actually need, rather than letting any one else's bike dictate what needs to be done.

But honestly, making an non-fared BMW work on dirt roads only requires pointing it down one . . . :D
  17. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the the low fender.
    For most of my trips I use my 93' R80 mono. But the low fender can clog up pretty fast.

[​IMG]

And my girlfriend's R100R has the same problem :D

[​IMG]

I could make some pics of my sump guard that has been working great for the deep sump if your interested.
  18. ignatz72

ignatz72 call me iggy

Oddometer:
    Prutser, I'd like to see picts of the nifty over-cylinder bag racks...
  19. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep - that's what I thought. My fender is different, and I think I can space it up on the stock fender brace to get more clearance.

I would love to see that, and I hope the OP finds it useful as well . . . :ear

Does your exhaust get into the dirt/mud/rocks often enough to be a "problem"?
  20. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    On some river crossings it would be helpful to have a higher exhaust.
    But the low exhaust allows you to use symmetric pannier racks and helps to keep the weight low.
    I would never change the exhaust on this bike for a high one.
    The only thing that might be a problem, would be that the exhaust sticks far behind the mounting point.
    On rough tracks it wears the exhaust gasket (only the mono lever) or can cause the mount to crack.
    Although I never had the problem my self, even after 600.000 km but I've seen it many times.

I'll make a few sump guard pictures and post them.