ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM   #3661
tennyis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
Added mirror extenders with a ball mount on one side today.

I can see the road!

Now what should I add to the ball mount? DVD player? iPad? Microwave for popcorn?

How the heck do you tighten one of those anyway? Hand tight with a little blue Loctite?
Hand tight with loctite should do it. I'd use it for a microwave.
tennyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM   #3662
bungees
epsilon semi-n00b

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
Now what should I add to the ball mount? DVD player? iPad? Microwave for popcorn?
Mmmm...
Attached Images

Engaged in the animating contest of freedom.
bungees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #3663
bungees
epsilon semi-n00b

Fuel Filter

Maybe too soon for this as the bike has only been on the street just over a year, but I am wondering, as I didn't see it listed in the maintenance schedule...

Do any of you Vee2 owners know where the fuel filter is located? It looks different than the Gen 1 Vee assembly fiche, which is probably a good thing, as that replacement filter goes for $250 - $300 (why most do the external filter mod).

Link to in-tank pump assembly: http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemp...4c82/fuel-pump

Items of interest in the diagram:
2. Strainer
3. Reservoir cup
4. Joint
7. Regulator

But no filter listed, other than the strainer?
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #3664
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306
Tousled Motorsport in Twin Cities dropped Suzuki. Skeery thought. Their ATVs don't sell and the Strom isn't moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Today, 08:22 AM   #3665
bungees
epsilon semi-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPath View Post
Tousled Motorsport in Twin Cities dropped Suzuki..... the Strom isn't moving.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been looking hard at the new Strom (V2) for some time now. It may well be my next bike. Great bike; great value. I haven't ridden one yet, but from all I have seen, the bike is well loved by its owners. Suzuki did a great job with the chassis. Top notch handling and brakes, good suspension. Excellent lighting. Comfortable ergos. Significant weight reduction. Smooth running engine, slick shifting tranny and a new slipper clutch. Good instrumentation and control layout. Nice integrated factory bags available with a very slender profile, if you don't need a lot of capacity. Not an off-road menace, but it's not billed as such, either.

The only thing I question that Suzuki did with the update is the revised tuning they applied to the motor. Looking at a dyno chart for the SV1000, that engine looks like it had a great bottom end. Yes, the torque peak is at 7500 rpm, but it makes 70% of peak torque by 2500 rpm and still lays down 110 hp at the wheel by 9000. With the added displacement (increased port velocity), dual plugs and improved engine management, that 2500 rpm twist could be even higher. They already added some flywheel / alternator mass to improve tractability, and that's fine for this type of bike. The old SV redlined at 11K, but it was done by 10K. The 9200 rpm redline on the Strom is probably due to short duration, high lift cams they installed to juice up the bottom end. But, the SV already had a great bottom end. If the Strom was a truly dirt focused machine, I would see it, but this bike is essentially an adv styled roadster that will live on the street, by and large. The new engine is surely competent, maybe even more "useful", but is it really exciting? Suzuki could use a dose of that right now. It creates buzz and sells bikes.

That being said, Suzuki's sales were up a little last year in North America. What really concerns me is the very poor Asian (and European) sales. Suzuki cannot continue long on the path they are on. Back in the 80's they were very innovative, as I recall. The air/oil cooled GSXRs especially. They need some big ideas fast, before they lose the ability to implement them.
Attached Images

Old Today, 09:48 AM   #3666
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,336
Most popular accessory add on for GS1200WC, MS1200, KTM 1190 / 1290 owners, extended warranty packages.

My most vivid memory of a MS1200 demo ride, topend clatter from the 16 opening / closing rockers and unacceptable vibration levels through the bars and I'm a Ducati booster going back to the bevel drive days.

The positive feedback from current owners, making it's way into the motorcycling community and dealers smart enough to have a demo Vee II always available, will ensure this jewel of a bike a long production run.

This bike is an extremely competent roadie adv touring mount, for hardcore enthusiasts / motorheads, uninterested in the allure of a gastank's roundel.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:42 AM   #3667
bungees
epsilon semi-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
This bike is an extremely competent roadie adv touring mount, for hardcore enthusiasts / motorheads, uninterested in the allure of a gastank's roundel.
996DL
That's just it. It seems to me the motorheads are going over to the Euro marques you listed (and buying the extended warranties ). Even the "old man's bike" BMW boxer now makes 10% more horsepower and 16% more torque to the wheel, PER LITER, than the Suzuki. With shaft drive. Yamaha has a new triple that is getting great reviews also, and a lot of performance minded buyers are going there too.

Please understand, I'm not picking on the Strom. I'm probably going to buy one. I just think that others comparison shopping the bike have a lot of choices out there. I wonder if the perception is like Honda still milking the VFR mill after all these decades, and how outdated it looks now. But, Suzuki has done an admirable job with the Strom's engine. From idle to 6500 rpm it hangs right there with the Versys 1k, which is based on the N1K powerplant (a stonking beast). Maybe the big 150 HP Euro twins just have all the press jaded, and Suzuki will just have to build one too!