2013 Giant Loop

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by OlafofOregon, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    yes the GB has stuff sacks and there is a dry bag upgrade option too.
  2. OlafofOregon

OlafofOregon Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Bill - In 2013, the Great Basin Stuff Sacks will be available as an optional accessory, not included with the Great Basin Saddlebag. Customers repeatedly asked us if we could reduce the Saddlebag price if we pulled the stuff sacks out. We couldn't do this before, because they were produced and sold as a single assembly and SKU. Now, by separating them, the 2013 Great Basin Saddlebag is actually cheaper than before (MSRP $399), and riders can choose how they wish to customized their kit (with Great Basin Dry Pods, Great Basin Stuff Sacks or their own inner packing bags). Here's an earlier post. Enjoy your new Coyote Saddelbag! Let us know who it's working out for you. Cheers, Harold
  3. TouratechUSA

TouratechUSA Made For Adventure

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  4. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    It also gets a bump in capacity from 10.5L to 13.5L...

On another note here's a crappy pic of the Moto Overland booth from the Vancouver Moto Show that shows the new reflective details on some of the new bags :eek1

[​IMG]
    The Coyote is on the left on the 525EXC (Zigzag on the handlebar) the Fort Rock top bag is on the floor by the F8 and you can even just see the new Great Basin shining behind the F8s back wheel. Bright! :thumb

Dave
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  6. toowheels

Oddometer:
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  8. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Any chance the Coyote dry pods will be available individually? I only use the center banana-shaped stuff sack now. I'd like to get the new dry pods, but $100 is too steep for the one bag I'd use. Thanks!
  9. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
  10. Rainier_runner

Rainier_runner Heh..?

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have the actual outside dimensions of the Siskou panniers?
  11. Minsk99

Minsk99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Siskiyou look awesome! Nicely done. Is there a way of running a cable through the bags in order to lock them and secure them to the bike?
  12. Beemermcr

Beemermcr Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer:
    One idea for soft bags: I've used Pac-Safes on each side, with all the gear secured; then secure the cables to the frame. About as secure as you can get without going to hard bags. It does make access very slow.

Paul
  13. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon

I'll be down at Giant Loop today for a meeting. I will get dimensions of the Siskiyous for you then and post them up this evening. Any other questions I can get answered while I am there talking with the boys?

I don't think the dry pods will be available as single pieces, but you have a good suggestion. I will share it and see if there are options to separate the bags. A likely solution would be to network with someone here on ADVrider to share the cost of a Coyote dry pod kit. You could arrange to split the cost and get the center sack out of the deal.
  14. Schannulleke

Schannulleke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, please measure the same dimensions as the previous Great Basin was specified, but then on the new 2013 Great Basin:

Can you provide the dimensions of the new 2013 version compared to the dimensions of the previous version?
    Dimensions (fully packed):
    55" - bottom of pannier, across top to bottom of other pannier bucket
    9" - height of bag in top center
    7" - distance from inside to outside of pannier bucket bottom
    12" - front to back in top center

And also the dimensions of the Siskiyou in a comparable way to the Great basin.

Thanks in advance.
  15. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    Here measurements for the new 2013 Great Basin Saddlebag - they are approximate, as the amount of gear packed into the bag changes the shape of soft luggage.

• Dimensions (fully packed):

56" - bottom of pannier, across top to bottom of other pannier bucket
    Basically the same as before, with a little more "doming" on top due to increased "front to back" distance.

10" - height of bag in top center
    Again, the difference here is mostly a result of the "front to back" measurement below allowing the top to arc more when stuffed full.

6" - distance from inside to outside of pannier bucket bottom
    This dimension didn't change - I think this is simply a more accurate measurement taken at very bottom of the "leg."

14" - front to back in top center
    This is where/why we picked up an additional 10 liters of volume (60 vs. 50), by adding nearly 2" in this plane. No change in the way the bag mounts or rides, just a bit roomier for sleeping bags and other lightweight, bulky gear in the top.

Hope this helps!
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Here is my new Fandango tank bag on a DR650 with an IMS gas tank.

The cutout on the bag base allowed me to move the tank bag up on the tank and move it over the gas cap some (Acerbis gas cap. fits all IMS tanks). You have a wide range of location to position this bag.

My previous tank bag needed to sit behind the gas cap. This caused the bag's rear edge to be angled out and up (vrs straight up & down like this bag) & thus the top rear edge was right where my crotch was. Because of this, it was in my standing space and was not good. I was constantly banging into the bag when standing.

Giant Loop's design changed all that. The gas cap cutout is deep and thus I could move the bag far enough up the tank and forward. This created the standing room I need but I moved it not so far forward that the bag interfered with the bars. My final placement was that the bars & controls barely touched the front of bag and gave me tons of standing room on the back side. Very happy!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. Squishy

Squishy Elastically-kinematic.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Fandango info Eakins. Was wondering whether 1 would fit on my IMS XR4 tank, now i can see. Although would have to put the stock cap back on (the Tusk 1 being higher & with snorkel).
    Thanks for the photos.
  18. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Hey Squishy,

Both Giant Loop's Fandango and Diablo Tank Bags work well with taller gas caps and vent hoses since the underside of the tanks bags are tunneled. You can see that in eakins pic when it's flipped up.

You can really see it here too:
    [​IMG]

That combined with the large harness cut out makes them fit tall fuel fill style tanks very well as shown and allows them to fit further forward too.

Cheers,

Dave
  19. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Siskiyou Pannier Measurements

12" Pannier front height
    8" Pannier rear height
    18.5" Pannier length
    8" Pannier width
    Lids 8.5" wide x 16" long

[​IMG]

Mounts and Hardware spacing
    LidBuckles & CamStraps 11" center
    ConnectStraps 10.5" center
    ConnectFlaps 15" long x 11" wide
    Max inside width of Panniers 20"

[​IMG]

The Great Basin is the saddle bag with a cable pass through. I saw the cable in action yesterday and it is an excellent design feature.

The Pac-safe is an excellent product! I want to try one on the bike and see if it is an effective solution to the security question.
    Slow access has been my concern, but slowing down access is always part of the security process. Anyone wishing to truly protect their bike mounted accessories will be happy to deal with some extra steps to get through their security devices and still have their stuff attached to the bike.
  20. Schannulleke

Schannulleke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the measurements of the GB & Siskiyou.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.