Kush Sprockets

Discussion in 'OZ Vendors & Flea Market' started by BigDuck, Jan 3, 2013.

1. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    agree would love it work out
    here is my 7000km report
    after a 150ish km of dirt yesterday
    i think it might be buggered
    teeth are still good
    bulged rubbers now torn

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many tires did that outlast?

That's not a lot of distance for a street bike but maybe enough for what it's being used for? Should be easy to just replace the rear sprocket, looks like the chain and front sprocket may outlive two rear Kush Sprockets? Maybe more?

3. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    same issue i had seems its back to the drawing board ......had about the same amount of k's on my other 1 and same thing happened
  4. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Chain sprockets & tyre went on at the same time.Got more km out of tyre with the kush.
    I ride around 50 street 50 dirt,was hoping for km out of it.
  5. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    7k is a lot for a dirt bike to get out of a rear sprocket so I think it pretty acceptable amount of k's.

Be nice to see a fatter sprocket so that the rubbers have more surface area in contact with the metal.
  6. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Even with the amount of road use though?

What may make it worse is that the rubber Cush area is stuffed but the teeth look like there is a fair bit of wear left in them. Riders will feel they are throwing away something not worn out.
  7. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    True, i got 7500k from front and 14000k from rear on cross Australia mainly dirt ride with JT sprockets, chain is still on and ok. Was going to test kush but it arrived in stock too late for departure.
    D606 rear 5300k on same ride.

Ken is mobile.
  8. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that is logical, would work well.

Ken is mobile.
  9. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would think 7,000k is roughly either side of 12 months for the average 50/50 dirt bike, and 12 months from a 100 buck sprockets sounds ok to me. I would normally budget 7,000 - 10,000k from a chain and sprocket set from the relatively easy life I give a bike so it seems like a good option to me, unless im missing soemthing and im sure youll jump in and let me know if i am :D
  10. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    I mustn't be average i did 7000 in 4 months. I was just comparing km to the sprocket i removed which had 7000km on it and was just showing slight wear but not needing replacement prior to fitting the kush. Maybe i need to ride my bike less .
    Their must be a solution to getting these to wear in the rubbers but not fail.The teeth are hardly worn maybe due to the cushion effect of the design.
    I like the idea and would like to see it work well.
  11. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ryan! Just saw your sprockets for the first time. Great idea! Seems that 5-7000kms is your max now? What if you double drill the sprockets, countersink from each side and then flip the sprocket at 5000 kms?? Paul, have you ordered one yet??
  12. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    flipping sprockets aint to good for chain wear and at 250 a chain stuff that
    7,000kms is bugger all my last jt sprocket got 20,000 the supersprox i have on atm has 9,000kms on it and looks new

i want them to work but seems just cant get over the bump of the rubbers squishing on the weight side ..same as my original ..the 1 i have now only has small k's on it so it still holds up but looks like it will fail
  13. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sprockets are consumable items, why throw them out if half the rubbers are still good and the teeth are new on one side. Wear the chain quicker?? Of course but I will throw away parts when they are completely warn out.
  14. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    No Gordon, Ive got a talon cush drive wheel

15. watagans300exc

watagans300exc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like most on here I suspect, I am a "Time Poor" rider and while I fully support any idea that adds a bit of mechanical sympathy to the drive line, these sprockets seem not entirely ideal. I just could not enjoy the ride thinking my sprocket my self destruct mid ride in the middle of but fuck nowhere.

I went with a RADMfg cush drive hub (Direct copy of a KTM unit only billet aluminium and prettier) and will stick with SuperSprox sprockets where I get over 14,000k per unit.

Keep going with the idea Ryan, it is a fantastic solution to an age old and expensive problem with adventure riders on non cush drive wheels.
  16. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :deal

Keep working!
  17. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Even though mine was worn to point of being able to move the 2 sections by hand, it could still be ridden just a little jerky.The busted rubbers are on the side that would be loaded by rolling off ,not driving.
  18. wassie

wassie Life is too short for traffic.

Oddometer:
    How about using polyurethane instead of rubber
  19. Farmer Roy

Farmer Roy Long timer

Oddometer:
    umm, for my WR450 and my intended useage of it, i'd be quite happy to get 7000km out of the kush sprocket - i was originally budgeting on 5000km and still reckoned i was ahead compared to the full on cush hub conversion.
    Also, as WillS says, even if the rubbers fail doesnt mean you are stranded by the road, they will still drive
    so far i'm very happy with my sprocxket, & if they last to 5 - 7000km, then i will continue to use them
  20. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    edit
    it is the driving side that failed .