Review of 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by leafman60, Jul 1, 2012.

1. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking if you are quoting mpg and ltr/100km of fuel you are looking at the larger imperial gallons

I'm getting around 38 miles per US gallons right now..but the engine is still tight at 2200miles
  2. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat. :cry

I tell ya, if I win the lottery so money wasn't an issue, I'd open a Guzzi shop around here in a heartbeat. It wouldn't make $$$ (hence the need for the lottery winnings), but it sure would be fun and if done right would really help the brand. As-is I think there are a lot of us around here in this "limbo" with no good dealer close enough to handle the big problems. :waysad

-SM
  3. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    I don't know diddly about Munroe, and the horror stories could be completely widespread, well-known, and true, but fwiw, I've heard very bad reports about dealers in Colorado's Front Range, yet have had nothing but fantastic results/service from them. If Munroe is your only option for a Guzzi, why not check them out more thoroughly. Would be a shame not to get the bike you really want, when the dealer was really at least OK. There often are two sides to a story.
  4. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    An old pal of mine works at Munroe....the perceived thought/opinion of the dealership Is a bit surprising.
  5. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    You make a very good point, but how do you check them out other than to take your precious in there and have them fiddle with it? Unfortunately I've heard consistent "bad things" about them, and I've yet to read a single positive comment from someone who had them work on their bike. They're not accredited with the BBB, which is always concerning, and they do have a complaint listed that was not resolved to the satisfaction of the person who filed it. At least it's not a long list of complaints, but still.

I guess it comes down to this: Do I want to risk a $15K+ purchase that I may not be able to get fixed if it breaks because there isn't a good dealer (for warranty work) within a day's drive of me? Well, that's the big question.

-SM
  6. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    :nod

Munroe is a shop that had a good reputation the whole time I lived in northern Calfornia (grew up and lived there most of my life)
  7. NonDairyCreamer

NonDairyCreamer incomprehensible

Oddometer:
    Walk in and start asking questions. The response and interest in you, or lack of, will give you a good start. Ask for a tour of the facilities but do so when they are not busy. Introduce yourself to the techs, managers, owner etc. They seldom get this and you might be surprised how well they respond and the memory or you showing an interest in their work will be remembered when you come in again by better service and closer attention to your concerns. In one shit hole I worked at we had a couple of customers that brought in breakfast, pizza and beer on Saturday at closing and in general were really nice. We didn't short change the assholes but who do you think got the silk glove treatment, the free storage, the discounts? And the best customer oriented places I have worked were not members of the BBB. As for an unsatisfied complaint, have you investigated the complaint to rule out the nut case possibility (read: ADV inmate :lol3), or some "oil in the isle made me fall" loser? I've seen enough of these to suspect any one that is not polite and rational when bringing in a complaint. And I've heard consistently bad things about me but to quote Jessica in the Who Framed Roger Rabbit? flick, " I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way".:1drink
  8. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    All fair points. Since they are 2 hrs away round trip, rather than "walk in" I called them and asked a few questions. From the second they answered the phone, all I got was attitude and it went downhill from there. Simple questions like "do you have a Guzzi certified tech?". Maybe the guy on the phone was having a bad day, who knows. I have bad days too, but it's no excuse to being a little sh*t to a customer asking a few basic questions. It all just added to an already uncertain deal.

Like I said though, until your baby is in their shop and you get that first hand experience, I think it's a crap shoot. Time will tell if I'm willing to risk it.

-SM
  9. NonDairyCreamer

NonDairyCreamer incomprehensible

Oddometer:
    NOT a good start and I don't want to belabor this more but the same shithole I discussed had super mechanics but a fool for a manager, an illiterate and incompetent service manager and churlish asswipes that worked the counters and picked up the phones in parts and accessories. But we got a lot of service business from people who bought bikes at other dealers because they knew we had some great techs. Behind the attitude on the phone you talked to there is still someone desperate to make a living with huge expenses to carry. If you were to give it one more chance and got the same response a letter to the owner(s) would be appreciated, I'm sure of that. Even the owner of a shithole wants to succeed and if he or she does not know how bad things are when they turn their back their business can evaporate before they know what happened. You and others interested in keeping a good shop in that area might make the difference. I hope something works out for you, I've got eight hours to the nearest dealer to put some not so relevant perspective on the drive.
  10. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    Again, very good points NDC, and point taken. :thumb

-SM
  11. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    First of all, congrats on the new bike, and thanks for the write up....:beer

I've got a few pics of your bike too, and got to do the seat test on it while I was up there in June. Sure is a purdy thing, I hope you get many miles of enjoyment out of it as well. :ricky
  12. Fasttrak

Fasttrak Captain Crash

Oddometer:
    I have not bought anything from Munroe but have heard some horror stories in several forums for this dealer. If you really want a good dealer drive the bit extra and stop by Elk Grove Power Sports, just outside Sacramento. I looked and seriously considered the Stelvio, they have several NTX in stock, but ended up buying the Tiger Explorer. My experiences with this dealership has been nothing short of stellar. The service manager, Brian, seems to know his bikes and is a great guy to work with. Two weeks after buying the Explorer I hit a deer, CHP had bike towed to a towyard and Brian sent his guy with a flatbed to get my bike to his shop, that is service!! He is getting the bike repaired with the insurance and going to hold my bike in their lockup until I can get on my feet in four months. This dealership has about twenty different Moto Guzzi in stock when I was there two weeks ago. They had a black and burnt orange NTX.

Fasttrak
    Ken
  13. Luma46

Luma46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed your review, you were expressing my own feelings. I had come off a 2006 12GS and while I never had any serious problem with it in 46k kms, I am glad that I opted for the 2012 NTX. My only complaint is that GS's engine and tranny were more refined, the Stelvio seems to be a bit noisy and clunky especially when hot. I am working on it with heavier oils in tranny, will see...
  14. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ken. That's where I just went to check out the NTX. I had never been out to Elk Grove before, and was impressed with everything I saw. Staff, facilities, you name it. All very professional. Looked like a top notch outfit. They also have a Guzzi Master Tech there, so that's a plus. It's a little far to go at 4 hrs. round trip, but if I only need to see them for "issues", it's not that bad. :thumb

Thanks again. Heal up quick! :freaky

-SM
  15. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Fasttrak

Fasttrak Captain Crash

Oddometer:
    So glad you made the trek out to see these guys, I truly was blown away by their straight forward and honest treatment. I have never left a dealership and felt like I got the five star treatment like I have from these guys. From the parts guy, Alan, to their service manager, Brian and the funniest sales manager I have yet dealt with, Matt, these guys are very different from the the dealerships I have dealt with around the Bay Area. They work hard for your business but I never had that feeling like it was forced or contrived, being an outside sales rep my bullshit radar has a very high gain for this.

I honestly looked at the drives out there for first service as just a fun excursion and Brian, the service manager, made sure their guys were ready and got my bike back to me in very short order. I will keep my eyes peeled to see what you end up buying, I am guessing a Stelvio NTX is in your near future :D

And thanks for the get well wishes, so far it is just painful to watch these beautiful afternoons go buy and know I can't get out and enjoy it on my new bike. Couple more months and I will be out tearing up some roads around Nor Cal.

Fasttrak
    Ken
  17. uzidzit

uzidzit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I love my new Stelvio, a few Concerns that have been voiced,
    The brakes are 2 finger with a good initial bite, the gear box is goofy smooth, there is some mechanical noise(no worse than my old 1200gsa), BUT this bike wants you to ride her hard!!! It has a wonderful sense of “wanting to get moving”. When the road gets twisty keep the revs between 4800-7k and there is tons of butter smooth fun. Less power than the explorer(who would know as it has a better bottom end punch), I have the suspension set for two up full load and it is not bad. I may up rate springs a bit but it will be plenty stiff for most folks.

[​IMG]
    <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 468pt; HEIGHT: 351pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_0 alt="Armitage 002.jpg" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="Armitage 002" src="file:///C:\Users\Maggie\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape>
  18. uzidzit

uzidzit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The factory bags on the Stella will induce a very gentle weave to the back end at about a buck and a quarter, so if you are burning the girl, leave the bags at home!!! without them she is rock steady to about 135-140 according to the Garmin.:D

Just a word to the wise Remember to clear your trip computer it records top speed, and you do not want to have that screen pop up at the wrong time...:wink:.

oh yea the wind screen position does not seem to influence higher speed stability much, but lower is a tiny bit better
  19. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another little issue with the Stelvio that I have noticed is the propensity of sand to blow up through the fork tunnel at speed on dirt.

I received my fenda extenda from england a few days ago and I'm going to try it as a possible solution. Looks like dirt/sand is thrown up by the front wheel and slung upwards into the wind flow that carries it up the forks and over the tank right into your face.

Years ago, when the first new oilhead BMW GS models were introduced with the new beak, they did not have a full front fender. The lower fender was only a half fender that extended downward on the back side of the wheel. The beak was intended as the front mud guard, I guess. The first time I rode one of them, I noticed that sand would fling out the front of the lower half fender and blow back over the top of the lower fender and up over the tank into the rider's eyes. BMW quickly extended the lower fender to a full fender to remedy the situation.

I'm think the Stelvio problem is similar in nature with the sand being thrown up from behind. I will report back later.
  20. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you picked one up........ especially from Rider's Hill. Great folks!

Please update us from time to time as it breaks in and if you ever have any issues or quirks.