The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Ya, i know where the spark plug is, but you see where the spark plug wire goes once it exists the valve cover? under the plastic piece and around the cover....
  2. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    there is nothing special about where the injector is. It is in a better place than it used to be but it is now where virtually every other engine has its injector. Even the first Kawasaki 750 turbo engines had the injectors there. Its certainly no where close to being DI
  3. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    I think we could both be right...clearly the spark plug wire runs up in that area as can be seen in this pic, but there is also clearly a port to the intake for either a sensor of some sort or injector.

[​IMG]
  4. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Found a better picture of the intake....yes, definitely an injector as can be seen by the light blue color signifying gasoline.

[​IMG]
  5. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From image posted by EJ_92606 (just realized that you are in my backyard, I am north of Hwy 5), this means, that the thick cable is carrying fuel and not fuel vapor. Leaving it exposed to outside prankster to cut the cable. Further, it seems that they fastened it with 1 screw.

But the good thing is that they placed it where it would not easily break through accident of some kind. I hope extreme heat from the cylinder do not cause problems with the cable while it sits on top. It looks like it is touching the cylinder.
  6. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you include the carburated R bikes bikes the fuel line has been in the open for the past 90 years. How is this any different (other than unlike the carburated bikes you can't drain the tank by cutting this line).
  7. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Montauk: Great pictures!!!
  8. RetrogradE

RetrogradE Banned

Oddometer:

1. We don't even know what the bike will cost yet, so to extrapolate the cost of plastics is a strange past-time.

2. "Not very much money" is a relative concept, but I've found anything "OEM" isn't cheap at all.
  9. Kevin Dixon

Kevin Dixon HMFIC

Oddometer:
    Anyone worried about tire selection for the new size tires?
  10. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    You must have missed the 'swap' part. In addition, I thought his point was a good one. There are only a few panels, unlike a car...take em off and have em sprayed if you don't want to buy new. If a few hundred bucks is an issue, I think you shouldn't be looking at a $20k bike.
  11. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't have choice, water cooled can come in one of three diff tires all same size just diff manufacturer
  12. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was using the cost of the parts off of a current model year as the basis for my statement. I would be amazed if they were dramatically different in price, I suppose we'll know the real answer soon. If one wants to change the color of their bike without sacrificing their panels and the resale value of their bike, swapping panels or buying oem painted ones is a cost effective way of doing so. Well, at least I think it is.

Thanks EJ.
  13. Kevin Dixon

Kevin Dixon HMFIC

Oddometer:
    Coming from a K16 with a crappy selection of available tires this is the only thing that worries me. Oh well hopefully the manufacturers come out with something by March.
  14. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
  15. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeap! good catch. The BMW rep at the Long Beach show this weekend also confirmed that the LEDs have been DOT approved. :clap
  16. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Curious about that feature, is it still there?

[​IMG]
  17. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
  18. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    They wouldn't be able to sell the bike otherwise. I've got five bikes in my garage of various vintages and every one has a DOT embossed on its headlight(s).

- Mark
  19. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Of course they would....without the optional LED headlights. :huh Just the same as they sell bikes in the US without the LED turn signals that come on the same models in the rest of the world because they are not DOT approved.
  20. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    all I can say http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rNXP2ndT9M