Is my brother looking for the impossible?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mas335, Feb 10, 2013.

1. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    My brother has been talking about buying a smallish dual sport bike, he currently rides a NX650 which to be honest is too big for him. He has his mind set on something that may not exist, everything I suggest doesn't meet his criteria so I can use some suggestions.

Under $2,000 and closer to $1500.00
    preferably Honda
    street legal
    electric start only
    250-350cc
    seat height 32" or less
    oriented more towards the road, he's really a poser when it comes to off road riding, doesn't like getting his bike dusty!.

I suggested a DR250 or 350se with a lowering kit if they even make one, I think I have been told they do but how much it will drop the bike is unclear. He's vertically challenged and couldn't even sit on my DR350.

Even if the lowering kit would work the biggest issue with the DR350 is that decent electric start DR's run a lot more than his price range and are hard to find.

I also suggested a NX250 which I have owned 4 of, other than the crappy rear shock it would be a good bike for him but again, hard to find in decent shape and in that price range and would require the pricey aftermarket shock with preload adjustments, he's not a light weight.

Any help is appreciated
  2. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    He could look for a used Sherpa or XT 225
  3. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    I like the Sherpa idea but I'm not sure I have ever seen one for sale anywhere around here (NC), it would be very hard to find but a great idea.
  4. hscrugby

hscrugby "That guy"

Oddometer:
    Ifixfords has sherpa for sale near raleigh but higher priced than he is looking. :-(
    Just keep stalking craigslist you will find something. There is a dr650 nicely setup with a bad transmission for 900 in wake forest. If he is a bigger guy that might be an option
  5. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    DR200? A number of vintage bikes could fall in the mix but not with e-start.
  6. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yamaha TW200
    nice little bike - holds its' own on the road and looks like a cool little dirtbike.
  7. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but he wants smaller, he already has a 650. He just wants a light weight "play bike" that will never see a highway.

Is that a imates name you sent?
  8. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
  9. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Thanks but 250cc is his limit, he really wants no less than a 350cc but those choices are limited.
  10. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Long timer

Oddometer:
    DR 400. It's bigger then 350cc and they come with electric start. DR 650 to DRZ 400 is about 50 lbs diffrents in weight.

Why not chop off some weight on the bike he has. Change the muffler, dump the back pegs, one mirro, hack out some metal, and go with a light weight battery. He can get some lowering links, and get rid of the any thing that looks heavy.

Light weigh chain and sprokets, help a lot to. How heavy is his bike if I may ask ???
  11. hscrugby

hscrugby "That guy"

Oddometer:
    Yes that's an inmates name

I have seen a few two stroke plated or platable KTMs in the < 2000 range.
  12. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are some cheap Chinese and Taiwanese units out there that aren't bad for the money, especially if it;s not really going to be abused in the dirt.
  13. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    another vote for an xt225
  14. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    Super Sherpa?

Great little capable bike.
  15. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I say go ride and let your over picky brother wave at you by the side of the road. :evil
  16. CNRED

CNRED It'll be OK Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mark,
    His price point is a little low, but there are a few good XL250l's still out there. Most are not e-starts though. If he were to step up a little, the Honda CRF230L is a pretty nice machine. It was up-staged by the CRF250L last year. I have a few miles on my 230 and love it. After many years on Transalps and NX650's the 230 was a bit of a departure from my usual riding style. I still have both my NX's but I seem to be putting more miles on the 230 then the others. Easy to ride.
    Don
  17. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the Super Sherpa. It fits his criteria perfectly. Be patient and you'll find one. Once winter is over, the used bikes will begin popping out of the garages and barns looking for new owners. :deal

If you're willing to travel a bit, here's one for sale now:

http://savannah.craigslist.org/mcy/3595412991.html

[​IMG]
  18. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    What about an older CL350 scrambler or similar? They're easy to find for well under that price point, for $1500 you can probably find one in very good condition. Smallish bikes with a low seat height, pretty sure you can find one with e-start, they're definitely street legal and more road-oriented than any dual sport, but he'd still be able to ride it on gravel roads. Plus, they're pretty cool-looking.
  19. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Hey Don, I told him you can't find much for that kind of money, he's not going to ride it much and just doesn't want to spend much on it. I don't know much about the CRF230 but I thought they were relatively new and out of his price range. They also look very small, kind of like the DR200 which to me looks like a big mini bike. I'll take another look at them.

Weren't you planning on doing the TAT, surely not on the 230?
  20. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    I think I know what bike you are speaking about but aren't they kick start only and fairly old? He's not a mechanic and getting a CL350 in decent trouble free condition are not easy to find around here plus wouldn't he be on ebay for parts?