Need Itinerary Advice for 10 Day Trip

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by SEWERMAN, Oct 19, 2013.

1. SEWERMAN

SEWERMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ill be flying to LA from Alaska and renting a 1200GS for 10 days end of Febuary through March, I need some local advice. I'm interested in the "must rides" for a bigger bike. I've done some limited riding in Death Valley and was thinking of hitting DV again in route to Nevada. I'd like to minimize the pavement but I don't need to be winching my bike up and over anything to gnar-gnar. If you can turn me on to some GPS routes that would be cool too. Just looking for some good riding, camping and time away from to much snow. :ear
  2. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    Sounds balsy on a rental. I like your style. How much to rent a Gs for ten days?
  3. SEWERMAN

SEWERMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About 150$/day.
    Looks like there's not much riding to do by the lack of suggestions.
  4. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly. There is no riding here in Nevada. :D

Death Valley is still getting straightened out after a couple of huge storms. Getting over the mountains between LA and NV can be hit or miss at that time of year.

There are tons if roads, trails, washes, snake tracks, etc..., to take out here.
  5. RocknTroll

RocknTroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We don't all sit around the house on the weekends :lol3

Have a couple destinations in mind and hit sortest route on yer GPS, it's taken me on some great roads.

Mojave is a pretty wild area to see just don't stay in the "nicer" motel there in Baker.

Maybe down to Sandy Eggo over to the Salton Sea and up into Death Valley

Lockwood Valley rd to 33 back to the coast.
  6. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    If you go through Death Valley, I would say Titus Canyon is a "must ride". The basement tour at Scotty's Castle is pretty interesting if you are into residential engineering solutions.

Red Rock Canyon and the Mojave are pretty interesting too.

In 10 days you do do a loop: LA>Mojave>Red Rock>Death Valley>Las Vegas>Lake Havasu>Escondido (Stone Brewing Company)>LA
  7. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    go up the coast, and zig-zag the coastal range, tons of great GS riding, even if most of it is paved. at most you'll hit rain that time of year. have a flexible itinerary so you can hole up where ever you happen to be for a day or 3 if you happened to get smacked by a big wet, usually these alternate with weeks of nice weather. definitely try and get up to the santa cruz/san mateo/marin/sonoma/mendocino stretches of the coastal mountains.

see the pashnit website for tons of great road touring ideas. don't even think of going to Yosemite, or anywhere in the Sierra in the winter, it will be socked in solid snow with all passes but a couple major highways closed permanently until mid may/june.
  8. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    That's the attitude! :clap
    :rolleyes
    check the http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/hwytables.htm
    a bunch of stuff is closed that time of year if you want to do any passes.
    thats all I got :lol2
  9. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is he going to do for the next 9 days? :rofl

Keep checking this Death Valley thread for conditions updates.

After the monsoon season we had here in Las Vegas, lots of the desert has reset and roads may or may not exist or be passable.

Red Rock here in Las Vegas is OK. The really cool place is Valley of Fire, about an hour north east of Las Vegas.

Elevation at that time of year pretty much eliminates a lot of Utah and northern Arizona from being motorcycle accessible.

For really nice weather and NO F*CKING SNOW, head south to Baja.
  10. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

:deal