Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 04:36 AM   #5431
UTURN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinifex1 View Post
I picked mine up 6 weeks ago. So far got the topbox, centre stand, Tankbag , and a second hand set of vario panniers. I find it has a little more punch than the wife's F650gs, and feels very steady on the road. May look at sourcing a Dakar tank and fitting that.
Hey Guys
Talking about a larger tank, has anyone had the Touratec 37ltr tank fitted to the Tao yet.

Cheers UTURN
UTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:11 AM   #5432
Abrahamster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
1st gear clutch issue

While exploring part of the TETS this weekend, I noticed a quirk with my clutch that seemingly happens when the bike is warmed up. When pulling out in first gear, there seems to be a "flat" spot in the clutch. I let out, get power, accelerate and then suddenly, mid-release, I lose all acceleration and the bike almost cuts out completely like it is getting no gas. I have to get way off the gas (but not all the way), keep releasing, and then everything is fine. This doesn't seem to happen at all in other gears, although the shifts are much faster. Any ideas?
2003 Super Sherpa "Stella"
5 year old Malamute "Abrahamster"
Abrahamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:33 AM   #5433
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
That actually sounds a little bit like the problem I was having....did you notice a rougher idle when stopped or with the clutch pulled in?

I still need to spend some time checking all the connections, but I strongly suspect something electrical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM   #5434
alskee750
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Fork Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Hasenwerk,

+1 on the great looking bike! You make it look easy. It looks just like a "bolt on" replacement, although I know there is much more to it. I imagine there was a lot of work with the ignition switch, steering limit stops, and steering lock. Any close up pictures would be very interesting. Did you keep the ABS? How did you do it? Kept the original hub? If yes, a custom made axle? What about the ABS sensor? Many questions, I know... Sorry;)

Thanks
Window, I can take a stab at it for you. If I recall reading Hasen went with the 48mm forks which are a later model. I went w/ 46mm forks, I really wanted to keep my front fender as I like the look. So that took some trimming underneathe of some plastic (by the horn mount)to get clearance for turning the front wheel w/ the behemouth forks. Once all that was cleared I fabbed up some brackets for the horn and fender out of aluminum. I really think it's alot more stronger now that before.

Steering stops: drilled and tapped two holes on the stop tabs and screwed on some SS bolts. I now have good clearance and nothing touches when fully turned either side.

I had to loose the steering lock. I mean it's there but I never use it on any bike so that was a no brainer. Could be something to look at in the future, but for now I'm ok with it.

As for abs, I kept it as well. Has, made a bracket and so did I. I like his better than mine. I like things to look neat and like it belongs there, so I really like aquatics version. Much beefier than mine for sure. I'll PM him soon.

I kept my OEM front wheel and brakes. I got the axel kit from HOH as they were revalving my forks. That is literally a bolt on project, easy peasy.

Ignition bracket: I found a diagram of a ignition bracket and copied it to a sheet of aluminum and cut away. It works pretty good and doesnt look that bad. I'll see how well it will hold up in time.

Sorry no pictures or close ups. But I can do it over the weekend and post it up. Since you live so close, I can drive your way one day and have you take a spin if you like so you can see the difference.

Hope that helps..

I call her the mind fucker:

74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM   #5435
windowto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Window, I can take a stab at it for you. If I recall reading Hasen went with the 48mm forks which are a later model. I went w/ 46mm forks, I really wanted to keep my front fender as I like the look. So that took some trimming underneathe of some plastic (by the horn mount)to get clearance for turning the front wheel w/ the behemouth forks. Once all that was cleared I fabbed up some brackets for the horn and fender out of aluminum. I really think it's alot more stronger now that before.

Steering stops: drilled and tapped two holes on the stop tabs and screwed on some SS bolts. I now have good clearance and nothing touches when fully turned either side.

I had to loose the steering lock. I mean it's there but I never use it on any bike so that was a no brainer. Could be something to look at in the future, but for now I'm ok with it.

As for abs, I kept it as well. Has, made a bracket and so did I. I like his better than mine. I like things to look neat and like it belongs there, so I really like aquatics version. Much beefier than mine for sure. I'll PM him soon.

I kept my OEM front wheel and brakes. I got the axel kit from HOH as they were revalving my forks. That is literally a bolt on project, easy peasy.

Ignition bracket: I found a diagram of a ignition bracket and copied it to a sheet of aluminum and cut away. It works pretty good and doesnt look that bad. I'll see how well it will hold up in time.

Sorry no pictures or close ups. But I can do it over the weekend and post it up. Since you live so close, I can drive your way one day and have you take a spin if you like so you can see the difference.

Hope that helps..

I call her the mind fucker:

Alskee,

Thank you for taking the time to answer! Really appreciate. While I am not planning to do a fork conversion, at least not anytime soon, my technical interest is definitely picked. I like to know "how it's made", if you know what I mean. And, since we only live a couple of miles (and a hefty bridge toll:)) apart, I would love to meet up with you and take a closer look. Maybe even go for a ride together on the weekend, or something.

BTW, do you know of any good places in our area to go easy off road? I mean something I can do two up, nothing technical, or really challenging, just to get of the pavement. I keep looking and come up empty handed.
windowto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM   #5436
windowto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Aquatic,

You are a true craftsman. Awesome work! I'm very impressed.
windowto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM   #5437
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
Thank you kind sir.

Quote:
Aquatic,

You are a true craftsman. Awesome work! I'm very impressed.
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM   #5438
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTURN View Post
Hey Guys
Talking about a larger tank, has anyone had the Touratec 37ltr tank fitted to the Tao yet.

Cheers UTURN
Touratech's tanks arn't 37L in capacity, just brings your bike to a 37L capacity.

If you are looking for a much cheaper alternative in extending your that works very well, check out my vendor link in my signature. This mornings fill (fuel light on for 15km) was 18.5L, so that will get me 500km / 300 miles before the next fill at highway speeds - there isn't a section of road in North America that has a distance greater than that between fueling stations!

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM   #5439
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post

I am assuming your steering lock doesn't work because you centered the lock cylinder and your steering range is reduced? What you can do is install the lock cylinder / steering lock off-center a tad so that you can lock everything.

My setup is a 2004 450F - same internals as the 1999 to 2003 46mm forks, just 48mm tubes and it leaves me the option to go to 2006-2013 forks if I want to.

Did you reduce your suspension travel? I kept mine at the full 300mm but to keep the suspension geometry the same I used 450F triples with the necessary 10mm spacer and then lifted the forks to the second grove around the top of the fork. Within 5mm it is stock - including the handle bars. But there is no way I could keep the stock beak as at full compression the wheel would hit the front and not just a little bit. The $30 YZ fender doesn't look too bad!

In the next week I will write up a full HOWTO for my YZ conversion.

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM   #5440
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
The 48mm fork internals have a hydraulic stop system rather than a bump rubber (YZ 46 leave it out, WR and other makes fit it), Technical Edge and KYB have a parts list for both you can download to get all the part numbers for ordering parts direct rather than through Yamaha
Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM   #5441
alskee750
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Alskee,

Thank you for taking the time to answer! Really appreciate. While I am not planning to do a fork conversion, at least not anytime soon, my technical interest is definitely picked. I like to know "how it's made", if you know what I mean. And, since we only live a couple of miles (and a hefty bridge toll:)) apart, I would love to meet up with you and take a closer look. Maybe even go for a ride together on the weekend, or something.

BTW, do you know of any good places in our area to go easy off road? I mean something I can do two up, nothing technical, or really challenging, just to get of the pavement. I keep looking and come up empty handed.
Window, I totally understand and it would be nice to meet another Tao owner espeacially that your so close. We'll plan something soon.

As to easy off road, hmmm. Most of my riding is solo and it's up north in the Catskills. I take my gps and normally the night before start reading about roads that are in "Layin down tracks". You'll find a shit load of stuff. Then You can make a whole day out of just exploring. Beautiful scenery up there too. I have some tracks I can share, just pm.
Soto Moto Adventures
Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM   #5442
alskee750
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenwerk View Post
I am assuming your steering lock doesn't work because you centered the lock cylinder and your steering range is reduced? What you can do is install the lock cylinder / steering lock off-center a tad so that you can lock everything.

Did you reduce your suspension travel?

In the next week I will write up a full HOWTO for my YZ conversion.
Yes my steering lock is centered. I didnt really care much about it but I see what your saying if I get it off centered a tad. Good tip.

Suspension travel was reduced gathering info from all that have gone that route. HOH did the work but mine is from a 01 YZ250F. Looking to go off the path this weekend, lets see what it can do.

If you write up the How To, I can always chime in w/ my 2cents.
Soto Moto Adventures
Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM   #5443
alskee750
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
Thank you kind sir.
I PM'd you about the ABS bracket for the Sertao. Would be interested to test it out and I can post pic's up once installed so that others who go the YZ route can have options.
Soto Moto Adventures