New Vespa 946

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:
    I`ve only seen a couple of dealer ads proclaiming the ability to take orders.
    Mind you,taking orders and people`s deposit money isn`t always the same as being able to come up with the goods.
    There`s rumoured to be only 50 of them coming to GB.
  2. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not my style, but style is a subjective thing. I can understand why someone would want it because of it's looks, and there will likely be quite a few well heeled buyers out there that just have to have one. I'd spend my money on a GTS300 Super, and some gas.

Just my opinion, but Vespa needs to be careful. They already sell premium priced scooters, I consider them the H-D of the scooter world. But this model looks like it was designed strictly for looks, a rolling sculpture, a piece of jewelry. I see a valid comparison to the new Indian motorcycle, which will most likely be a piece of seriously overpriced artwork on wheels, a status symbol, rather than a practical transportation vehicle. Current Vespas (and most H-Ds) are at least fairly practical.

I actually wish Vespa had made an exact cosmetic copy of one of their '50s model scooters instead, only with modern quality and reliability. I also wish SOMEONE would make a traditional looking scooter with a manual transmission. I'd be waiting in line for that one. Owning a Stella, the benefits of a manual transmission are so obvious. It's to bad the Stella is to unreliable to take trips on. I have no doubt this thing would climb Pike's Peak, if it didn't overheat and seize. It certainly has the gearing for it.
  3. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
  4. John Bentall

John Bentall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMG scooters in the UK is advertising it for £7,200 (including 20% Sales tax), making it almost exactly twice the price of a GTS 125, and it is build to order only.
  5. sintegua

sintegua Principiante

Oddometer:
    A Vespa will be always a Vespa, but.... 9,000 euros is a lot of money (at least for me). Visually, I'm sure it's an eye catcher. Also, Motorcycles are big guy's toys, so.... if someone has the money on his wallet, it's and interesting and "historic" bike to have.
  6. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you check Euro prices against US prices you can cut straight across most likely. 9,000 Euros might equal 9,000 bucks, at most. For a vanity ride (who needs a 946?) that might give it an exclusivity cachet. Expecting it to be sensibly priced is to ignore the context of the machine.
  7. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
  8. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Oh and if anyone wants one, it's coming out in mid-November.
  9. kconville

kconville Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer:
    Well, it is is undoubtedly, unequivocally, and most certainly, THE most beautiful scooter I've ever seen or could imagine. And, I'll probably never own one.

Take some of those styling cues, keep a pet carrier (smaller, no doubt), and utilize the large frame and 300cc.... and I'll start saving my pennies.

Damn! Vespa's got a knack, don't they?
  10. HornHonker

HornHonker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yikes, I thought it was going to be a 1 liter scooter !!!! :freaky
  11. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Looks like pre-ordering is done though I never heard it was going on... Anyone heard anything about this?
  12. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes, it was a quiet event, some minor buzz made of it by Piaggio and in turn by some dealers but thats about it. Personally, I don't get it but thats just me....

On MV, several dealers and dealer employees have already said they've ordered more nits than they have pre-orders for.

I don't believe these will be unobtanium for those whom havent pre-ordered...especially at $9946 + fees.
  13. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    If I had money to blow...

[​IMG]
  14. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  15. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I am not sure that the "hand made" video justifies the price but it's pretty cool.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9DSYdfoe0FQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  16. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    $10k for a 150cc scooter :eek1
  17. k3ith

k3ith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I thought it'd help me pick up one of the girls in the ads for it, I'd think about it, but without a pillion where would she sit? :evil I'm guessing we'll see a few pics of celebs on one, but I don't expect to see one in person.
  18. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    10k.....I'll wait for the Chinese Knockoff.
  19. tbonestone

tbonestone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    on your lap... Where else??? :rofl:freaky
  20. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    I give Piaggio credit, the 946 may be impractical, and overpriced, but in the best Italian tradition it does exude style.

They have managed to create a profile unlike anything currently built by anyone. Yeah, the Chinese will probably steal the design, and one could argue all day that it's underpowered, or overpriced, or that a Honda PCX is more practical.

Those things may all be true, but this still wins on style alone, and how it will force other manufacturers to look at their own scooter designs and realize the bar has been raised. Rarely does the world look to Italy for practical, cheap and mass produced.

You all probably won't buy one, and neither will I, but scooterists everywhere are better off since Vespa has taken another step to advance their iconic brand.
    The Virginian likes this.