Folding Trailers - any expeience out ther?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by folknride, Oct 25, 2009.

1. awonderfulworld

awonderfulworld Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    All trailers with GVWR 4536KG or less are admissible: RIV

I bought a harbor freight trailer and the process was easy - you don't even need to go to the vehicle export office - just go to any crossing (I went to the peace bridge) and pay the $200.
  2. mixedup

mixedup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i emailed for a quote on one of those pod-ium trailers a while back and have yet to receive a response.

that pricing is even higher than the kendon (too much)....
  3. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    Wow, that's about double the price of most of the double bike trailers I listed (about 4x the price/bike)! That's more like the Bimota of bike trailers!
  4. NaeKid

NaeKid Ancient member, eh?

Oddometer:
    I CAD-designed a "take-down" trailer that was supposed to haul a Harley (my boss and my father both own one) - but - the design was never put into steel. The theory behind the single-hauler was to make it easy to shrink in size for storage, or a quick-take-down (no tools required except for the wheels) for even less storage-space. I figured on a couple hundred dollars for materials + tires to build it.

It never got built because of the licence-plate issue. Here in Alberta, home-built trailers have to go through hell just to get its plate, and, in BC, it also needs to be insured ... :eek1

If someone wants to take a chance on a trailer, professionally welded (CWB certified) and ready to go, let me know and I would be willing to make the steel-version proto-type for ya.
  5. Gladly

Gladly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    any thoughts on just going with a versa-haul type carrier?
    (I guess this would depend on the cage that you're hauling with)
  6. mixedup

mixedup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    apparently "pod-ium" is restructuring and currently not producing trailers. so they're not an option.
  7. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    I need a trailer and would be interested but your comments about getting a homebuilt certified got me worried. I did a search and it looks like it justs costs $50 to get a VIN from Alberta for a homebuilt. Have you heard differently?

Importing a trailer and paying $200 for the privelege seems like a waste of money.

Can you share some details of your design?

Features I would like:
    - some form of suspension (torsion type preferred).
    - Ability to carry one or two bikes
    - Folding or breakdown capability

I may just by a $800 CT special but they dont seem to fold, so that's a big PITA.
  8. NaeKid

NaeKid Ancient member, eh?

Oddometer:
    From my understanding, the trailer needs to be inspected by the RCMP for things like lights, structure, etc - receipts shown for each and every part in the trailer (wires, lights, tires, rims, hubs - everything) at which point you pay your fees to them, they create a VIN and it gets stamped on.

Then you visit registries and pay again for the plate.

A basic run-down of my design:

Slide-tongue to shorten / lengthen trailer as required for hauling or for storage - or - take completely apart for storage.

Formed 3/16" CheckerPlate track for the tires to run inside w/ front-wheel hoop for support.

No suspension - high deck height or low deck-height depending on the direction that the axles are locked into place... (portal-up or portal-down). I figure that the suspension of the bike would be sufficient - tie the wheels down and call it good.

The wheel bolt pattern is 5 on 4 1/2" diameter - stubs taken from the trailing-axle in a Pontiac 6000 - wrecker-parts for next to nothing or dealership if you want to spend the big-bucks.

Wheels - basic steelies (take at the same time from the wreckers) with PrincessAuto fenders to keep the spray-level down.

Lights - quick-connect to lights mounted directly to the axles - will need to pull the wires apart when removing the axles from the trailer-body.

That's about it. Like I say, I designed it to be very cheap, so using wrecker-parts saves some money, a new coupler and lights - that's about it. The steel (square tube and formed plate) would be the most money at a couple hundred bucks before welding.
  9. Sask_pirate

Sask_pirate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    here in sask it was pretty easy, within the defines of a homebuilt, you could define your own serial number and then pay for the plate. i suppose they could have asked to have it inspected but as i mentioned back up a ways , as long as it has the necessary lights, reflectors, and safety chains ( yeah don't forget te chains) you should be okay to go....
  10. motocharles

motocharles n00b

Oddometer:
    I recently found a Canadian company that actually legally sells these after a hell of a long time searching. The one I bought is this one
    http://foldingtrailers.ca/products/mightyfold-4x8-folding-utility-trailer

Sorry to bump an old thread. I've been lurking around the forum but only recently signed up so trying to do my best to contribute some useful info where I can.
  11. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    I know this is old, but I built a trailer in 2009, single 3500lb axle, 6X9 deck... and an agent for Alberta Registries came to my house, asked if there were any other numbers stamped on the trailer (showed him the one on the axle) then he set about riveting the VIN plate to the frame and stamping in the new VIN. I asked about a fitness inspection and was told that the burden was on me to know the rules and when/if I was ever stopped by police, then the trailer may be subject to inspection and any deficiencies noted and dealt with.

Overall a simple process (then) to get the trailer on the road... couldn't say if things have changed since though.

I'm going to build a folding bike trailer one day too. Some great ideas in this thread.
  13. CordR

CordR Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

No need to apologize. I'm actually just starting to look at options. I like the idea of a folding trailer, but everything I had seen was too expensive. Something like this may fit both my budget and my limited storage space nicely.

Thanks for posting.
  14. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    This guy in White Rock is the local dealer in Metro Vancouver.
    http://www.inmotionimports.ca/

I bought my Kendon bike lift a couple yrs ago, and he had a selection of trailers in stock. I'd hazard to guess he would have bought these during a time when our currency was stronger than now.
    If the trailers are built as well as their bike lifts, it's the only option I'd look at to carry my $20,000+ bikes.
  15. motocharles

motocharles n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks CordR, I felt the exact same way.. The other options were just way to expensive. This sweet little trailer is less than half the price and works great. I also don't have the space for it so folding was my only option,,