R80 G/S variances

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Detroit Steve, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Detroit Steve

Detroit Steve Homely Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought an 86 R80 G/S recently, without looking too closely. With some investigation I have found 2 style of gas tank, one with a raised filler neck and the flush gas cap. The other thing I noticed is shiny/polished wheels or dull aluminum wheels non polished.

What years had which parts?

Thanks,

Steve
  2. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    Well, there was the g/s tank, the GSPD tank, and the ST tank. (possibly an r65 tank as well?)

Even though '86 may seem like yesterday, it was 26 years(!!) ago; parts could have been swapped more than a few times.

Do you like it?
  3. Detroit Steve

Oddometer:
    The bike is a HOOT!

Overall the bike is very original with even wear and and tear that reflects the 42,xxx miles on it. White with the blue side stickers. When I got the bike it came with two sets of wheels and tires, one set of dull aluminum and the other set polished.

thanks for your insight.
  4. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe the flush gas cap started in '83 with the STs. Also, earlier G/Ss had a 2.15" x 18 rear rim made by a german manufacturer (can't remember the name) later G/Ss got a 2.5" X18 rear rim made by akront. Early G/Ss had the rear brake cam pass through the gear oil in the final drive with two o-rings to seal, later had a sealed tube passing through the final drive, so the cam was dry. Post '85 got the better valve seats for unleaded gas and the better shimmed rocker gear, but also lost the infamous circlip in the trans. A lot of '81s had problems with nikasil flaking off the barrels in spots.
  5. Rucksta

Rucksta SS Blowhard

Oddometer:
    '81s had holes in the side rails of rear subframe and the side stand mounted to the crash bar with a bolt rather than the pin & two circlips of the later models..
    Pre 05/82 had a different pitch on the helical teeth on 5th gear.
    Post '83 we started seeing shiny exhausts, some black chrome.
    Battery cradle seems to have changed dimensions at some point post '81 but that could be post sale replacement not sure.

Can't think of any more AW seems to have covered the important items.

P.S. '81s had bolts securing the rear wheel rather than the later stud, cone & nut.
  6. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not my early '81, but it could have been changed later
  7. Detroit Steve

Oddometer:
    Another other thing that doesn't add up with my G/S is the oil cooler. It has the crash guard mounted oil cooler like an R100GS. Previous owner claims it came that way new. My bike is a 1986.

Lastly am I the only one who thinks the BMW headlight number plate thing is a fashionable effective noise/turbulence maker?:rofl
  8. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

PO doesn't have his facts straight. No R80G/S had an oil cooler. Period.
  9. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sounds as though you have paralever gs crash bars, oil cooler and petrol tank.

The Paralever tanks can look pretty good if you spray them white and fit some of the cheap stickers off Ebay, they do a passable copy of the very expensive Dakar tanks for your bike.

This is Bernados from Portugal

[​IMG]
  10. greentreephrog

greentreephrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mate, I have a cure for those who worry about variances from 'standard' - buy an Ariel.

I own/ed an Ariel Square Four (I have just given it - i.e. inflicted it upon - my son). The Ariel fraternity, being into restoring our motorcycling 'heritage', is always looking for the correct (note that word, it is the root of all manner of evil outcomes - broken marriages, frozen friendships, quietly withering acquaintences) configuration of a certain model of bike. Fortunately I was able to avoid such a situation, because I learned very early on in my 'apprenticeship' that Ariel manufactured and sold motorcycles, not museum pieces. In other words, the had a habit of putting on a machine the parts that were in store at the time.

This is not the disaster that it may sound, and I am sure that production practices have improved as time and geography changed, but it taught me to never worry too much about what someone (including authoritative documentation) said was the standard. Remember, the manufacturer is in business to produce and sell bikes, and a certain number have to go out the door every day. Model differences, stock levels and other factors may affect what is actually produced.

I think the Brits have a few terms - 'anoraks' and 'train-spotters' come to mind - to describe those given to endless, and eventually futile, arguments about what is 'correct' in any given model. I don't discount the enjoyment to be derived from such discussions, but regard them as essentially meaningless, at least to those who just want to get on the thing and ride it to enjoy!

It has an oil cooler - good for you. The PO says it came from the factory that way - does it affect your enjoyment whether he is correct or speaking through his arse? Probably not. Is it a good thing - maybe. Is it necessary? - depends on the riding conditions. Are you going to remove it if some book says it wasn't there when it left the factory? - up to you. Just enjoy a piece of low-tech, well-designed, relatively cheap piece of motorcycling history. I have an '83 g/s - not the best at any one thing, but of all the bikes I have owned it is the one I will never sell.

Rant off!
  11. Detroit Steve

Oddometer:
    I might have given the wrong impression. The R80 G/S is new to me and not my first Airhead, but a different animal none the less. My preference is to leave well enough alone and ride the stupid thing with the shiny wheels and an oil cooler which I think looks good. The air deflector will have to come off to cut down on turbulence and I will make something up that works better for longer trips.

Thanks for everyones help.