Goodbye April Pachaug Dualspork Camp-n-Ride

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by akarob, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Ken F

Ken F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It hurt some riding and the next day.Hurt less than less ride so guess its getting better.
  2. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are bypasses for the real hard sections and the group usually will stop before the section to give the new guys a heads up about what's ahead.
  3. Dirt Roads

Dirt Roads Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Much appreciated. :thumb

Since it'll be kind of a long haul in a short weekend, I'm going to drive the truck out. Last night my wife twisted my arm till I agreed to buy a bike carrier that mounts in the truck's hitch. Ought to be pretty convenient; we'll see.
  4. Drewha

Drewha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cycle Gear is advertizing one for $99 bucks I think. 50% off or something.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/...og&utm_medium=ecatalog&utm_campaign=aprilecat
  5. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    You're free to ride with anyone you want, but the ride I'll be leading will not include any trails remotely that difficult. Most of the people coming to this ride will be bringing the "big girls".

I just broke down and got a Therm-A-Rest sleeping pad today. Being new to the whole sleeping pad thing, I'm pretty impressed. Upon initial opening, it didn't puff up too much on it's own - but with a few deep breaths, I finished inflating it and it's quite firm. It packs down to about half the size of my uncompressed sleeping bag too, which is nice.

I also spent some time modifying my new (to me) soft bags so they will mount to the luggage racks. They were Swedish military surplus backpacks originally. It's coming along well and I should have them mounted tomorrow. I'll most likely post up a picture, but you can check them out in person soon enough. I really couldn't be happier with how they turned out. It's too much to describe in words, but I'll be happy to show them off to anyone willing to listen.

I'm planning a full weekend (Fri, Sat & part of Sun) of exploring and pre-riding the trails too. If anyone of the locals would like to join me, that would be fine - just expect a disorganized day with lots of stops to fiddle with the GPS mixed with some (hopefully) enjoyable riding sprinkled in. Here's to a great weekend.
  6. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    I like new people and new places. I want to check out the logistics and look into coming out. :)

greg
  7. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's a hike from PA - but if you want to come up and relax in the woods with us, do it. It's a nice park we camp in I assure you. Secluded, but close to things at the same time. The rangers let us make a good fire and hang out as long as you want. I'll update the first post in the thread for the new-comers with the exact place to turn into the park. If you do decide to make the trip, PM me for my phone number, just in case you need it.

I'm still working out a route for the Saturday ride. By the campout, I'll have something really enjoyable put together - and pre-ridden on my 990. It'll incorporate a lot of dirt roads, mostly maintained. That means there will be a few challenging spots for the big bikes - but nothing to be afraid of, no deep water crossings. I'm actually heading out tomorrow to check out some new terrain, and looking forward to it.
  8. Bikenstitches

Bikenstitches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've done a few PA camp-n-rides; you won't be disappointed. Going outside your home base just adds to the adventure!
  9. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    1st post is updated with directions.
  10. Dirt Roads

Dirt Roads Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania certainly has its share of great riding, but I agree, it's nice checking out new faces and places. See you there!
  11. Ken F

Ken F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like my girls light and skinny. Easier to throw around.
  12. Tammy

Tammy Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer:
    Now you do know that's not nice right :lol3
  13. ChrisRiedinger

ChrisRiedinger Specialized

Oddometer:
    WE all knew he was talking about his lady bikes :lol3
  14. Capt. REDBEARD

Capt. REDBEARD TWECO

Oddometer:
    I have not been riding very much lately - and if I am not out of town for work I was planing on getting out there Thursday night or Friday am and letting the 2 stroke rip for a double loop Friday and the same on Saturday (if not super hung sat AM).
  15. MATPOC

MATPOC Long timer

Oddometer:

Down to $89

while clicking around on the site and similar products I just came up on something that I have not considered before

Doing the math I need roughly a 10,000-12,000 lb hitch to carry a full size motorcycle: Bike (wet) ~450 lbs + carrier itself ~50 lbs =~500 lbs and will require 1,000 pound tongue weight rating, which is generally 10% of the hitch capacity.
  16. ChrisRiedinger

Oddometer:
    Was following a guy with a double hitch carrier with 2x KTM 4-stroke enduros on his Honda Pilot on the way to Hell in the Hills last year. I can't imagine he had more than 1" usable travel in his rear suspension, and I swear I saw daylight under the front tires coming over some of those rollers on the entrance street :lol3:clap:freaky
  17. DariusFriedel

DariusFriedel Slicker than an M59

Oddometer:

Yeah, right. Quit telling unfathomable stories. Next you'll be telling us you bought a 2 stroke KTM but can't show it to us yet because your doing head work on it. :1drink
  18. ChrisRiedinger

Oddometer:

:shog
  19. DariusFriedel

DariusFriedel Slicker than an M59

Oddometer:

Who in their right mind would believe someone would attached two 4 strokes to a Honda Pilot. :rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Yea, that's s scary looking.