Portland Weekend Adventure: Summer Lake Hot Springs

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Scott_PDX, May 8, 2014.

1. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    A couple of times a year I try to meet my brother someplace between where I live in Portland Oregon and where he lives in Southern Oregon. Last year we met up in Florence, on the McKenzie River, and in Bend. So far this year we met up in Brookings, for the April Fools ride, and now, this past weekend decided La Pine would be a good place to meet, and explore the general area. This always give us an excuse to ride a bit and do some camping and have a little [tame] adventure. I think I'll tell this story mostly with pictures.

The weekend started, as all of these trips do, with a run down I-5 to escape the sheeple then up and over Santiam pass. I stopped at the top to take a picture of Mt Washington in the distance.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The good old R1150GS loaded for Adventure!!!
    [​IMG]

Arrive at La Pine State Park to find my buddy Gary, who I also talked into riding with us once we mentioned Hot Springs, already set-up and chatting with other campers. Since this was mostly going to be a road run, he brought this pretty beast of a bike.
    [​IMG]

Chris hadn't arrived yet, so we set-up camp....
    [​IMG]

....mmm Adventure Spirits, in convenient packaging (still haven't tried it).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris showed up shortly later, and we spent the evening catching up.
    [​IMG]

Breakfast of champions the next morning.
    [​IMG]

On the way outta the park, Gary spotted a viewpoint and got all excited...
    [​IMG]

...for good reason!!! The Deschutes river meanders along this area. In the distance you can just make out the Newberry Crater, which holds East Lake and Paulina Lake. Next time we may meet up there, once the snow melts.
    [​IMG]

Headed south out of La Pine heading toward Silver Lake, but first, a little off-road riding on inappropriate bikes.
    [​IMG]

Okay, the V-Strom and GS are appropriate, but the VFR certainly wasn't. Gary rode it like a champ though!

[​IMG]

All to see this Hole in the Ground, where the Earth burped. Alas, I had the wrong bike to ride down to the bottom...next time!
    [​IMG]

So, onward towards Ft. Rock!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After checking out the park at Fort Rock, and doing some hiking, we zoomed off towards Christmas Valley. Yes...this is Oregon Still. It's not all rainforests, hipsters and loggers.
    [​IMG]

Then rode 8 miles north down some of the worse washboard to see Crack in the Ground.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was about 20 degrees cooler down here, and still ice in places. Would like to come back sometime when I have more time and hike the length of it and explore.
    [​IMG]

By this time, we had built up an appetite, so we went off to the Cowbody Dinner Tree, for two 30oz Steaks, and a Whole Roast Chicken. The plan was to use the left-overs for breakfast/lunch the next day. These serve a BIG meal here and it is quite a unique experience. The menu consists of two items: Steak Dinner or Chicken Dinner and you have to reserve you meat ahead of time. Cast only and bring a BIG APPETITE. http://www.cowboydinnertree.net/
    [​IMG]

After gorging ourselves, we rode the rest of the way down to Summer Lake where we gassed up at the one business in town. Be sure to stop there if you are ever in this area and support these small businesses. Love this big country.
    [​IMG]

Gary, started playing around on the empty roads on the way down. We saw like 2 cars in the Hour from Silver Lake to Summer Lake.
    [​IMG]

Then quickly setup camp near the hot-springs building.
    [​IMG]

Just in time to enjoy the sunset. Took some pictures then hit to pool(s).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The outdoor pools aren't much, but the view to Winter Ridge is grand indeed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of interesting things to take pictures of.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next morning, we barely made it outta camp and the weather unleashed on us. No big deal, we knew it was coming and were dressed for it. Still, riding long distances in the rain, is surely part of the adventure.

Loving that these bikes are getting me out to places in my local areas that I’d never go to. We are luck to live out here, and I look forward to more weekend adventures to break up the office routine that saps my soul.

2. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Always hopeful yet discontent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your photos make me sad, so very very sad.

I am lucky to get a small hill out here in flat land.

Your trip looked like a lot of fun, and those are great photos. Thanks for sharing.
    LifeCycle likes this.
  3. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Lucky to live here is right!
  4. NotAllWhoWanderRLost

NotAllWhoWanderRLost So many roads to ease my soul...

Oddometer:
    Despite some crazy weather it looks and sounds like you guys had a great weekend. Thanks for sharing the RR. :thumb
  5. motor_roy

motor_roy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ride. I'm headed to that area next weekend on my way to Tahoe. Your ride report is making me want to leave today!
  6. tundradirtbiker

tundradirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting, great pictures
  7. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Great ride report Scott. :clap
  8. Scott_PDX

Oddometer:
    You should stop by it's a good stop on the way. Jealous of Tahoe, I need to bet back down there, I love the rugged Sierra's.
  9. Mr Dual Sport

Mr Dual Sport Is no longer on ADV

Oddometer:
    Great pics Scott! 1 week sooner and you would've encountered about 20 of us down there. Snow too! You hit it on a great weekend.
  10. chokozip

chokozip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of my favorite places.
    Looks like it was a relaxing trip.

Sent you a PM on a trip idea in the works.

Sean
  11. motor_roy

motor_roy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode by there yesterday while racing thunderstorms. I will be headed back there someday soon. I really wish I could have taken some time to actually enjoy it a little more. Fighting frequent rain showers and trying to get somewhere took a lot of the joy out of it. There are some absolutely amazing views along Hwy 31.
  12. Scott_PDX

Oddometer:
    :ddog Well?

No PM, from the great white north. What you been tieing up some mouser flies for them pikes?