Dolomites info needed

Discussion in 'Europe' started by strommer, May 20, 2009.

1. strommer

strommer Ride for balance

Oddometer:

As I am planning for a trip to the Alps and/or <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Corsica</st1:place>, can any of the riders who know the Dolomites area help me with this question:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Can I ride into one of the towns / villages in the Dolomites and expect to find a decent priced hotel / BB room without prior reservations ? I would not mind riding on to the next town to look some more but would not want to spend hours riding around looking for a place. <o:p></o:p>
    I would be there in July or August, it would be from Monday to Friday, so not over a weekend. <o:p></o:p>
    Any ideas ? <o:p></o:p>
    Any particular towns and hotels you may recommend in that area? <o:p></o:p>
    Thanks

<o:p>(My apologies to the Mods if this belonged under trip planning ??) <o:p></o:p>
    </o:p>
  2. Possu

Possu de-nOObed!

Oddometer:
    Plenty of accommodation in the Dolomites. Any town that doubles as a ski resort in winter will have plenty of hotel rooms available in the summer i.e. Cortina etc.
  3. jopos

jopos Enjoy

Oddometer:
    Hi Strommer,

You find a lot off info and video about the dolomites on my website: www.LifeIsJoy.nl

Enjoy!
  4. ekkemu

ekkemu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The towns that are also ski resorts have a lot of private houses that you can stay in. They look like regular houses, not hotels or something, but actually they are for rent and they are usually cheaper than the hotels. And there are tens of them in most ski areas! Carezza, Val Di Fasa, Cortina, are quite big ski areas. We paid 90 eurs for 7 nights / person in winter (I went skiing there). In some cases the owners don't live there and you will have to look for them (look for a phone number on the door or anther address nearby).

If you end up in Carezza, you can go at this address: Kanig-Laurin-Strasse Nr. 1 and ask for accomodation.

Carezza has a wooden motorcycle statue at the entrace, so I suppose ppl there are motorcycle-friendly :)

Take care,
    Adrian
  5. ekkemu

ekkemu Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No problem with finding a place. You will have the range of everything from 4 and 5 star hotels (priced accordingly) to "Zimmer Frei"s ("Free Room" in German (that's "free" as in available, not as in without cost)) - which is a room in someone's house - the original B&B.

Cortina will be pricey. Pocol, just up the hill west from Cortina, is a bit cheaper. I recommend the Piccolo Meuble in Pocol. Nice people.

Check out the Hotel Olympia in Arabba - it's a biker place. The Hotel Evaldo in Arabba is also very biker friendly, but is a 4 star hotel.

Lots of accomodations in Corvara in Badia to the north and Canazei to the west. I've never had to check more than one place in the area to find a room.