Central Valley Dual Sport Rides more fun good times

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by dsrider, Jul 18, 2007.

1. PotentialScat

PotentialScat aint

Oddometer:
    I've seen big bikes with luggage up there before, shuteye too. Cattle Mountain would be the easier fight.
  2. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    If I can figure out some where for the kiddos June 8th and the BMW ride is crashable I am thinking about going 2 up with Caren. I'll have to see offroad agressive a group it is going to be. If offroad mellow it would be perfect for both of us. If offroad agressive... Hah, maybe not.

New barely DOT front for the 530 came in today, just waiting for my forkseals to appear then I will git'er all back together.

After that TLR forks and front tube and maybe, just maybe, all the toys will be ready to hit the trails.
  3. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can always call Tanner for details of the ride. My guess is it's R1200GS friendly. Aggressive never.

As for Shuteye I've been told to lower the gearing another tooth on the countershaft for a particular downhill section that has caused many bruises. Anyone riding a 500+ pound Adventure Bike to the top and back should get a reward.
  4. PotentialScat

PotentialScat aint

Oddometer:
    $10 worth of leftover easter candy from the dollar store and they'll never know you were gone.
  5. Rearsteer

Rearsteer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, YEs, YES! Thats the ride I want to do when we go. I hope someone wants to do it also.
  6. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:

Yes, I'll go! I wanna leave some orange paint up there,too.
  7. GreeNug

GreeNug 210x2

Oddometer:
    Good call, that is a hardcore trail. Tried to ride up it once a few years ago and it kicked me in the balls, had to turn back down hill. I can find the trail from the bottom but always have trouble finding that bitch from the top. I've been down it on a mnt bike years ago but was following someone.
  8. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    Ordered a 48 tooth rear yesterday (stock is 42) and it already has a 16 on the front. 16/48 will be shuteye/bald mountain gearing, 17/48 will be fire road, 2 up, and commute to work gearing and 16/42 will be Death Valley and back gearing.

Current gearing (16/42) is too tall, shifting into 6th @ 70 it luggs... Cruises @ 80~85. Thats gonna git me tickets, so no bueno for commuting daily.
  9. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Why not just have 15/16/17 counter shaft sprockets to go with one rear? 46 or 47, it would be a whole lot easier to switch um out with the same result...
    Changing the rear is a PIA.
  10. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    I won't likely ever go back to the 42... With a little luck I'll have a 19/17 or 17/17 kit within the next six months and thats where the 42 will end up. And if I wanna keep up with JP on his DR I need goat gears to get the front wheel up.

And there is that whole school of thought that using smaller diameter front sprokects is a tighter turn radius for chains which is harder on them blah blah blah... Its just koolaide man just drink it.
  11. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more!
  12. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Haha, I'm drinking some right now.

Less teeth = faster wear but I've been running a 13 front on the 525 forever and havnt noticed excessive chain wear. I think it's a myth......I got almost 6K miles out of the OEM 13 tooth counter sprocket. I'm on the third chain, I like to keep good chain and sprockets on it. It's not worth the risk of chain/sprocket failure considering the places we ride.
  13. styger

styger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PC how was the green hill? And your knee?
  14. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Luke, I canceled last night because I rode up to Grant Grove early yesterday for work.
    The leg is much better, but not 100% yet.
  15. Rearsteer

Oddometer:
    I have taken my BMW up to Shuteye and down to Hite Cove. Not a mighty 950 but still a pig.
  16. Rearsteer

Oddometer:
    Cool, I hope Adam comes. He know where all the good stuff is at.
  17. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Monti wants to be like Riceless, he's preping for the Rubicon.....
  18. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Yes he does, Adam are you leading?
  19. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    Anyone riding this weekend?
  20. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Justin, I'm hopefully picking up a new bike today or tomorrow and want to get a ride in, not too remote though incase there's issues with it. Ill let you know when I do.