Serious about West Virginia??

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Guy Young, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty new here, but have been riding for a number of years (~40), and a few of those years have included many miles in my roots state (dad was born/raised there) of WV. With the purchase of an A16 (2002) KLR in January of 2003, the WV roads I travel have increased substantially. Those of you who ride there on a regular basis know there’s a potential for adventure waiting around just about every bend. It’s that kind of place.

But wait, there’s more!!!

Besides the riding, there is a major cultural environment in them thar hills just waiting to be discovered. To find out just what’s going on monthly, may I suggest you consider taking a look at two publications put out by the state:

Goldenseal, and Wonderful West Virginia.

Goldenseal (in black and white) tells of what was, and Wonderful West Virginia (in living color) pretty much informs you of today. I use them both to point me in new directions, and to explore places where a town may no longer exist, or a roadbed that carried a gazillion linear feet of timber out of a hollow decades ago. Like I said, there’s a potential for adventure waiting around just about every bend.

You can subscribe to these publications through the following links:

http://www.wvculture.org/goldenseal/

http://www.wonderfulwv.com/

Please, rest assured I have NO affiliation with either of the above. I just want to share a couple of excellent magazines that may permit you to enjoy the roads we love all that much more.

With the increase in unemployment due to mine, timber, and steel mill closures, the state has come to the realization that there just may be gold in them roads. There has been an increase in activity to try and entice us, the motorcyclists, to the state (the Gov. rides!!). I, for one, am willing to take advantage of the opportunity; I’ll be over there this w/e. J

Update: I forgot to mention another useful book last night named West Virginia County Maps. Literally, this is a collection of county maps all put together in one, (somewhat) handy publication. The black and white maps appear by county, listed alphabetically and they show every road (and some trails) that have been scratched out of the WV landscape. The only downside is its size – 11" x 16", which makes packing them away a PITA, unless you have left your bags on the bike before heading out.

I bought my first edition in 1995, and they are now in their second (maybe third) printing. Price is $18, which includes shipping, and they are available from:

County Maps
    Puetz Place
    Lyndon Station, WI 53944
    608-666-3331

They do not have a website, but if you’re in the Marlinton area, stop by The Old Clark Inn (http://www.oldclarkinn.com/) and ask to see the book. I sent them one for area reference several months ago.

Guy
    A16 KLR (Isabel)
    A10 Concours (Rose Red)
    Richmond, VA
  2. dean-o

dean-o Dabs often

Oddometer:
    i wish i had tme to ride up & join ya!
    dean
  3. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dean III
    Tennessee??

4. dean-o

dean-o Dabs often

Oddometer:
    it be me guy! i find this to be an interesting place to come to.
    dean
  5. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    My aching arse!!

We haven't seen each other since the rally I hosted in 2000.

We need to get together again one day.

Serious!!

I can do road trips!!

Guy - the other Young!!

:1drink

6. dean-o

dean-o Dabs often

Oddometer:
    dean
    the other white meat...:lol3
  7. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update:
    I forgot to mention another useful book last night named West Virginia County Maps. Literally, this is a collection of county maps all put together in one, (somewhat) handy publication. The black and white maps appear by county, listed alphabetically and they show every road (and some trails) that have been scratched out of the WV landscape. The only downside is its size – 11" x 16", which makes packing them away a PITA, unless you have left your bags on the bike before heading out.

I bought my first edition in 1995, and they are now in their second (maybe third) printing. Price is $18, which includes shipping, and they are available from:

County Maps
    Puetz Place
    Lyndon Station, WI 53944
    608-666-3331

They do not have a website, but if you’re in the Marlinton area, stop by The Old Clark Inn (http://www.oldclarkinn.com/) and ask to see the book. I sent them one for area reference several months ago.

Guy
    A16
    Richmond, VA
  8. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello there Guy.. Nice to meetcha..

Perhaps we should take a spin around the country side sometime..

Currently living in Lakeside, always looking to go riding.:freaky
  9. KLTMAN

KLTMAN Aviator

Oddometer:
    Guy,
    Time flies when you are having fun, hard to believe the dog days have come and gone and the leaves are coming down. Did you catch the review in Back Roads of the Dog Days Rally?
    I am in F'burg for a few weeks, if you are doing a ride anytime, let me know. I am exploring back roads closer to home on my F650.
    Walt
  10. UberXY

UberXY Patent Pending

Oddometer:
    I went to college in WV and spent a lot of time camping, caving, and riding around. My riding buddy and I just went up thru Smoke Hole canyon today, a nice short 250 mile ride.

If you want to go to a very interesting ghost town, try to find Volcano, WV, which is not far from Parkersburg. This was a booming oil town just after the civil war. They had this weird system of drilling rigs that were powered by a central steam engine with an array of cables and pullies strung all over the place. A lot of equipment is still there in the woods, as well as a few old buildings. The town had its own railroad.

Check out Dolly Sods and see how timbering and the ensuing peat fires reduced a massive old growth forest to a moonscape.

Also, there are ghost towns in the New River Gorge, but they are an effort to get to.
  11. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Walt,

The Mid-Atlantic Fall Foliage ride is this w/e out of Pat's in Luray. Why don't you head west and join in the festivities??

[SIZE=-1]NE [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]VA Fall Foliage Ride and Camp, OWO, Rileyville, VA[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Dates: 10/20/2006 to 10/22/2006[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Desc: Fall Foliage Ride and Camp, OWO, Rileyville, VA 20-21-22 October, Fri, Sat, Sun Pat and Sharry Sprague will host a weekend camp and ride at their home seven miles north of Luray. This will be approximately a 280 mile ride on Saturday from OWO, with camping available there Friday and Saturday nights. The ride may be shortened 20-40 miles if desired. A continental breakfast will be served Saturday and Sunday mornings, barbecue on Friday night, and a chili with fixins’ supper on Saturday night. Lunch on Saturday will be on the road. Come ride with friends, make some new ones, and see the beauty of Autumn in the mountains. To get to the Sprague's, from Luray, VA, ride north on Rt. 340 about 5 miles. When you see Springfield Elementary School on the left, go about 1/2 mile further and turn left on Rt. 661 (Cavalier Rd). Rt. 661 becomes a good gravel road. Ride 8/10 mile and turn right on Beylor's Ferry Road. Go 4/10 mile and their house is the third driveway on the left (#421 Beylor's Ferry Road). Turn left at the "Wheelie" and allow Buddy and Baarchen to sniff you. They are friendly and glad to see you. Please call Pat and Sharry at (540) 743-4874 or email at psprague@shentel.net so they can plan the food requirements. [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Email: Pat and Sharry Sprague [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Phone: (540) 743-4874 [/SIZE]
    Guy

12. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Volcano isn't far from where I own the mineral rights on some property there in Wirt and Jackson Counties. In fact, just had a family reunion in Elizabeth last month.

There are some places up in PA where I used to hunt up near Kennerdell (not Kennerdale) that had that same system of driving remote well heads. They had one single cylinder engine with a huge flywheel that ran off of raw natural gas. The engine drove a major bellcrank that operated a series of push-pull rods that fanned out in spokes from the engine. Very impressive to a young kid.

OK on Dolly. Been there several times:

http://www.mindspring.com/~gbyoung2/misc/rides/dolly/

:evil

Have yet to hit Smoke Hole. Maybe this w.e.

Guy

13. Zrexrob

Zrexrob Back in the South...yep!

Oddometer:
    I been to the Marlington/Snowshoe area many times this year. It's got the best sport and dual-sporting roads i've ever ridden:1drink
  14. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back atcha Gramps!!

I'm on the southside near the intersection of Belmont and Turner Roads. Work over near the airport on Eastport Blvd. (across the RR bridge on Laburnum from Nabisco).

I get out as often as I can, at least once a month with the 'local' COG riders (Local = VA, WV, MD, PA, & DE).

Would luv to meet up with you sometime. Drop me an email note when you have something in mind, and I will do the same. If I haven't added my addy to my profile, I'll do same after I type this.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Guy