Shock rebuild in Edmonton

Discussion in 'Canada' started by rob1313, Jan 11, 2013.

1. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to have the rear shock on my 08 Varadero rebuilt. It's up to 34,000k in 2 seasons and wallows pretty bad. The local honda dealer sounds like they can do the work but I wouldn't mind finding an inmate familiar with suspension rebuilds who doesn't mind teaching me how to do it. Anyone out there with the skills and time to teach?

*EDIT*
    Seems in their wisdom Honda made this shock non-serviceable. I know sasquatch used to service the strom ones, anyone out there doing the same kind of work, or know of someone, sasquatch suspensions is no longer
  2. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob
    Maybe talk to the guys at Triple M on Argyle. I've not had any work done there but in exploring some issues they seemed pretty knowledgable.
    Or you could bring it down here where I'm still waiting after a week for the locals to finish my 990's shock. :-(
  3. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. I've spent the morning exploring options.
    Ohlins, either $650 or $1200, for me the $1200 is the best choice, then I'd have to do the front end. That's a fair amount of coin for a bike I'm not in love with. Might explore trading it in..... The bike show is this weekend....
  4. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I got a rebuild kit for my KLR shock from a place in California...I'll see if I can find it in my archives.

EDIT: Found it, took a minute...

Race Tech (www.race-tech.com) 1501 Pomona Road, Corona, CA 92880-6959, USA, Telephone (909) 279-6655, Fax (909) 284-0417
  5. bwallca

bwallca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Steen Hansens is an authorized Ohlins repair shop, did an OK job on mine and have a good reputation.
    Ben
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rob
    There are people here in Alberta who can put in a valve to your non servicable shock maybe you will see one at the show.
    Here in Calgary out in Chestermere is Dave Clarke at Ride Concepts 403 999 4286
    I had mine originally done at Sasquatch but the nitrogen bleed away after my trip to Inuvik so Dave re charged it for me. He took the valve out and repaired it as the job was not done correct by sasquatch He put in new seals and the price was reasonable.
    There was a suspension company at the Calgary show, I can't remember the name.
  7. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Cal,

That's the info I've been looking for. Thanks, I'll give your guy a call next week and see what he can do for me. I appreciate the tip.
  8. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    There is a shop called RT Suspension around Edmonton. He did a clinic at Riverside last year. I'm trying to find a contact for you.
  9. E-town dirt dude

E-town dirt dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rob...it's a double edged sword for you...your front shock never needs rebuilding due to the amount of time the front tire is pointed towards the sky...subsequently putting more weight on the rear shock :D
  10. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    Rob I just sent you a PM
  11. bkoz

bkoz test

Oddometer:
  12. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
  13. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm talking to a couple suspension shops now abotu my best path the get this bike improved.