CVT vs manual transmissions in World.

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by ArtCuisin, Nov 10, 2013.

1. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    Let's hope it works this time! :lurk
  2. Shirker

Shirker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The city of Vancouver, Canada, just mandated that all new houses must have lever door openers. No more doorknobs (except at City Hall).
    Crap! Those circular doorknobs were so much better than these newfangled pos.

Damn, I'm turning into JerryH.:D
  3. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

September 8, 2009 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. announced today that it has developed a new automatic transmission, the CV-Matic*, which can be used in combination with Cub-style engines.

Mention is made that the NEW compact CV-Matic makes it possible to fit this new technology into the same space as the traditional cub-style auto-clutch transmission that's been in use since the cubs release in the 60s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. John Bentall

John Bentall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did not mean your question was answered in post #3, I meant the OP's question was answered in post #3.

It seems you took it the wrong way - no offence was intended in my reply - hence the smilie.
  5. John Bentall

John Bentall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scootrboi,

I did not mean your post #75 was answered in post #3, I meant the OP post was answered in #3. It seems like you took it the wrong way - as a put down. Nothing of the sort was intended - hence the smiling face at the end of the post.

John
  6. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:

You are correct about the CVT. It does not use any electronic technology at all. My rant got started by a word used by CaptnJim. Luddite. Most consider it to be an insult. I take it as a compliment, even though that was not the way it was intended. Go back to the beginning of the word.

1. Any of a group of British workers who between 1811 and 1816 rioted and destroyed laborsaving textile machinery in the belief that such machinery would diminish employment.
    2. One who opposes technical or technological change.

As for number one, I think it was a noble thing they did. And they were right. If only see how far that has progressed today. Out of a job? You can thank technology for that.

As for number two, that describes me perfectly, for a great number of reasons. And no, I don't want to go back to the 1700s. For me, technology reached it's zenith during the late 1960s/early 1970s. Things had become reliable and worked well. Since then, things have been going downhill, with new technology doing more harm than good.

But back to the CVT. On paper it looks like it should work, and in practice it actually does work fairly well. It lacks the gear ratio range of a manual transmission, but on the other hand it is far simpler. It's main problem seems to be lack of durability. And that looks like it could be solved by using better materials to build them out of. High quality steel pulleys, steel rollers that do not develop flat spots, and belts that last a lot longer. The problem is that this would cost more, make the vehicle cost more, they wouldn't sell as well, and there would be less money made. It must be really frustrating for an engineer to work for a bean counter.
  7. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    No offense taken. Or very little, anyway.
  8. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    You make some (rare) good points in this post, but they are certainly also still debatable. Just to provoke some further thought, and not to argue:

Things hadn't become as "reliable or worked as well in the late '60s/early'70's" as you may think they have, now looking back from late 2013. Cars and PTW's weren't "exactly" at the same place reliability, durability, safety, and efficiency-wise back then.

Having worked in a Goodyear Tire & Auto Center through my HS years keeping a car, domestic or otherwise on the towards 100k was a challenge to the owner, and a boon to the service center. A car with over 100k and still viable?...a rarity.

Even the VW, a "technological" marvel in it's day suffered from the need for super frequent valve adjustments, common #3 cylinder problems, engine fires (hose clamps on fuel lines? We don't need no stinking hose clamps on fuel lines!), clutch cable breakage, heaters that didnt heat, and other idiosyncrasies.

Older Vespas (Ive owned and adored my share of these) can easily be made to soft seize, suffer from clutch cable breakage, have marginal (by todays standards) brakes and suspension, require pretty frequent shift cable adjustment, and other faults pertinent to that "technology".

The human psyche tends to remember only the positive, and forget the negative when recalling things from the deep annals of time. (Anyone who has ever thought getting back together with an old flame for instance was a good idea, then quickly realizes they "forgot" about much of the stuff they didnt like first time around, or at least hoped those qualities somehow disappeared during the interim knows this to be true)

Point Im really trying to make is...these are the good old old days!

I'm not attempting to diminish your preference for older, simpler stuff, but an appreciation for the fact that machines evolve constantly, and your 1970's technology Vespa or VW or Model T was once cutting edge, but still frought with imperfections.

This is the exact same scenario you're faced with now, and while it doesn't make the new stuff less "good", (or more good ) but it is what it is. We live in a snapshot in time, and someday someone will likely be espousing these good old days when "internal combustion powered CVTs ruled the roads", and "why Hydrogen powered scooters aren't so reliable or soulful to ride!"

So, enjoy what you enjoy...nostalgia is a very strong tonic which you seem predisposed to and thats cool. For those of us who see the bigger picture, and can appreciate what todays "technology" is, what brought it to this point, and can get enjoyment across that broader spectrum of vehicles thats cool too.

Count me into the latter group, and you wont hear me "dissing" the old stuff, or judging riding skills by what a man is piloting....
  9. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    Easy there, big fella (Jerry H)...

Here is the exact quote where I used the term Luddite:

"If others don't get that slick, no-fuss experience is a big part of the pleasure I get when riding these scoots, it doesn't make them luddites... I'm glad they have the opportunity to turn the clock back 40 years and enjoy their experience. :wink:"

See that high-lighted, italicized word: DOESN'T???

As in: I'm defending those who like their machines any damn way they like 'em. You like 'em old, I like 'em new, with modern technology. That doesn't make your preference right and mine wrong or vice versa.

I NEVER said you or anyone else is a Luddite.

Last I checked, everyone here is entitled to their own ridiculous opinion, as long as they don't get nasty. You folks here have never seen me nasty. I save that for special occasions that generally involve life and/or limb. Whether someone thinks fuel injection or CVT is good or bad sure as hell doesn't fall into that category. I may tease a bit, 'cause that's just the way I am... but, I am NOT in the shit business... don't give it, don't take it.

More than once, I have written here "ride your ride." I don't put down anyone else's choice, don't see the benefit in others doing that. On more than one occasion when the villagers have wanted to head to Chandler with pitchforks and torches (or get moderators involved), I have defended your right to your opinion. And, I have called "bullshit" on an occasion when what you said was... well, bullshit.

I don't need anyone putting words in my mouth OR twisting my words. I'm a married guy - my mouth gets me into trouble enough at home, even when I don't mean for that to happen. I like this forum and the folks who make it interesting.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The rest of us are entitled to ignore that opinion if we don't agree. I don't see the point in arguing something like CVT... like it or don't. I'm gonna ride mine and enjoy it.

Here's some advice you can take or not: when someone is defending you, don't read it wrong and take to the dictionary to see if you've been wronged.

DOESN'T :deal

Jim
  10. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

When I jokingly threw down the gauntlet, a term of chivalry used in defending one's medieval lady love -my girlie Vespa in that case- I got a multi paragraph rant from the cheerful captain turning my joke into a life or death accusation. Not a pleasant riposte. So in an effort to redirect the conversation here is a happy picture of my cvt Vespa 60 miles from home at Windley Key State Park.
    No problem keeping up with and passing cages on the overseas highway.
  11. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jerry, this is an interesting post. While I don't agree with much of what you post, this one had some interesting stuff in it.

I can understand your aversion to modern technology. I tend to be a little behind in technology myself. Since you brought up cell phones, computers and Star Trek, I'm going to give you my opinion on this stuff. When I see people who are hopelessly addicted to there modern electronic devices, I am reminded of the Borg in Star Trek where they were all tied to the "collective" This is happening today. I don't think it will be to long before people start hardwiring their electronic devices to their brains. No more keyboards, touch screens or even voice commands. We will become the Borg, they will assimilate us, resistance is futile.

I also agree with Jerry that people are becoming more dependant on technology and less able to do things for themselves. This has been happening for hundreds, even thousands of years. Much of it is inevitable, but I still prefer to have some control over the machines I use. I am not against the benefits of modern technology but I want to be able to control it, not have it do whatever it wants because it "knows better than me" Many manufactures don't understand this and give us things like Linked brakes or ABS that can't be disabled on adventure bikes.

Newer is not ALWAYS better. In some cases new technology is just a marketing fad and fades away. Anyone remember Anti Dive devices on telescopic forks?

Sometimes the best technology loses out to the technology with better marketing behind it.

I'm not impressed with many of the new bikes available today. I think practicality has been lost in the name of "styling" and marketing fads. So what. Life isn't perfect. Enjoy those things you can and quite pretending the sky is falling.

Back to CVTs. The CVT in most scooters is actually a pretty simple and low tech device. The CVTs in some cheap Chinese scooters are junk like the rest of the scooter but the higher quality CVTs are pretty reliable if properly maintained. Jerry, you got a one defective belt and are ready to condemn all CVTs. Aren't you over reacting? How many miles have you put on your Japanese scooters before your first (and probably only) breakdown?
  12. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    the problem with JH is that he fears what he doesn't understand which is very normal, but in Jerry's case he is towards the end of the bell curve...we regress back to what is familiar to us. In Jerry's case the late 60's and early 70's right around when he was in high school (would be my guess). Many folks are very conservative in the sense that what ever was the hippest thing during their high school years is the pinnacle of their reality...either it be technology, fashion, etc.

I remember back in the early 90's at the mall I saw this dude fully dressed up in disco attire from head to toe he was styling, had the hair, bell bottoms, strut and everything. He fit right into the 70's era disco and his age matched too so he was stuck in the past, just like JH.

Reminds me of the movies Idiocracy, Wally and a few others that I forget the names of. It's got electrolytes and all that good shit!
  13. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    Rant on.

In support of JerryH, 40 years from now I can promise you folks will not be loving restoring cars, scooters or motorcycles from the past decade. Plastic ages & cracks, CDIs go bad and become unobtainium, and fuel injection systems will become too costly to rebuild. How about those damn touchy feely screens that control the radio, A/C, Nav, etc. You going to replace that when it goes TU? We are truly a disposable society. How many Mid 80s vehicles do you see on the roads? When is the last Old Omega or Chevy Citation you saw running? How about an Audi Fox or a 5000? Other than Jeeps, some pickups and diesel Mercedes most everything in the past 30 years gets scrapped for parts once it's expensive electronically controlled components start to fail.

I still see old VWs on the road- hell they weren't great vehicles, but I promise you I could keep one running indefinitely, same as my MGB or my P200E, but my 2006 BMW will never live to be 33 years old like my Vespa.

While these may very well be our 'good old days' you will have a hard time convincing me that all of the 'stuff' we now have has made our lives better- it's brought safety and convenience, but there has been a price. How many of us are hooked to our smart phones 24 x 7 so we can support our glorious employers. Some improvement... Ok- Rant Off

Now please quick focusing on JerryH just because he's an easy target- Ya'll got scooters here, right? Go ride the dang things whether 2t, 4t, CVT, manual or whatever. They're fun. Let's have some. Cheers guys. :D
  14. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good idea. I went out and rode my old tech., manual tranny, kick start only motorcycle today.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I'll ride my CVT scooter:ricky
  15. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    Nice photo. Dang, when you posted this...

I thought we both understood we were both joking? And now, I made a "life or death accusation"??? :eek1 Come on, let's just play nice.

I started a joke in that thread about Vespa's long-running pretty girls on scooters ads suggesting that Vespas were "girly", to which you responded with stuff about "piss and vinegar" and suggestions of what I should read to be informed how manly Vespas are. I think one of us did get worked up about that joke, but I can damn sure guarantee you that it wasn't me. Tongue in cheek. Really, I am sorry if anyone gets offended at my joking around.

I thought by now, folks here would realize I am here for the fun of it. :huh I would like to go on public record to state that I have not made "life or death accusations" to or about anyone here. Certainly not to someone who proclaims their "love". :rofl Here's the thread, if I have been out of line...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932328

I'll be in my corner, thinking about what a bad boy I've been. :evil I don't take my self too serious, I assumed no one else did... two in one day. Maybe I'm the only one getting my jokes?? In that case, I'll stop kidding around.

Jim
  16. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Post #100.
    Glad to be a part....:D

Edit...dammit! What I meant was post #101....
  17. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/29821169@N06/8482355050/sizes/c/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/29821169@N06/8243988259/sizes/l/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/29821169@N06/10635798994/sizes/z/in/photostream/

Made to last seemingly forever.
  18. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course not. 40 years from now I'll be lucky if the nice lady in the rest home washes my weenie for me.
  19. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that looks like a good time. :clap
  20. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...he writes...on his computer...by choice...:fpalm