KLR at University Hospital

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Dysco, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    I never do this, but...

Does anyone know who has an '08 KLR with missing fairing parts, soft bags, and yellow barkbusters sporting an ADV sticker?

I'm the guy with the ugly white DR650 you've been parking next to the last couple days and I have a really pressing question...
  2. Brainless_1

Brainless_1 Loose Nut!

Oddometer:
    When in doubt leave a note on the bike.
  3. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    leave a note on the bike???/!!!! Doesn't seem very high tech....ADV riders would assume that it was a parking ticket, crumple it up (unred), jump on their scooter and motor away!:evil
  4. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Where do you guys park? I work in the physics dept directly south of the hospital and hosptial employees have taken over all of our parking... :lol3 Haven't spotted any KLRs around here.
  5. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    I have a rule about leaving even notes on bikes. Would rather make a fool of myself here. :deal
  6. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    Do you mean directly north? South is a trailer park. :lol3

That's what I wanted to talk to that rider about. The word from my wife (and she's done it a lot, but only at night) is that bikes can park for free around the poles by the gates where the bicycles and scooters are in the Lep*rino garage (don't want the parking nazis to search this one). I've been parking in the northwest corner, closest to the research buildings. The KLR has a parking pass sticker which makes me nervous. Those parking guys are especially vicious with students. I haven't seen the pass on any other bike, but they're expensive ($36 a MONTH for me)
  7. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    Knock the bike over. That will give you a reason to leave a note. He will get back to you promptly.:evil
  8. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    I could knock it over and set it up again and they'd never notice. It's my kinda KLR- missing side panels and all.
  9. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I'm so retarded :lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3 I immediately assumed you were talking about UNM's hospital and failed to notice you are in CO. :deal Carry on...

$36 a month?! At UNM you can get a motorcycle permit for $70 for the whole year. It enables you to park in any of the (ubiquitous) motorcycle parking anywhere on campus. I'm surprised a University is charging that much for bike permits.
  10. Doubletrackmind

Doubletrackmind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it may be #1Fan. Is there a Les Claypool sticker on it?

I'll text him and tell him about this thread.
  11. _Magoo_

Oddometer:
    Don't feel bad, Devil, I assumed he was talking about UNM hospital as well!! (my bad)

:D
  12. Doubletrackmind

Doubletrackmind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys, I was being all Denver-ist. :lol3

The parking pigs are militant here- for $54 you can get a monthly car pass... as a student. My wife is an employee and has to cough up $2/day. There is a bus pass included in tuition ($46/semester) that's a pretty good deal and I've been using it, I just want to be a little more independent sometimes.
  14. croeder6000

croeder6000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The fairings are off because I just pulled my SW Motech bars off. I need to decide to leave them that way and get my bike back out of its rat bike state.

I was damn curious about parking in those garages because I've seen only a few stickers myself. @#$@@$!! yeah, it *IS* $36/month. I'm staff. If I'd read this message a few hours ago, I would have cancelled my sticker today. I'm leaving for vacation this weekend and will default into another quarter of fees on the 1st.

Anyway, nice DR. I really don't get KLRs now. I was surprised at how much better the bike rides with a 1/2 full tank and no bars, and no tool tube. I figure that's good for 35 lbs.

-Chris

[​IMG]
  15. croeder6000

croeder6000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ROTFL, but thanks for the discretion, those radiators aren't that tough either.
  16. Photo82

Photo82 We're BIG pants people!

Oddometer:
    There is NO SUCH THING as an ugly DR650... :zilla
  17. _Magoo_

Oddometer:
    Amen, photo, I'll second you on that one.....

:dutch
  18. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Yeah- I think that garage is free for us (within the posts) because they can't possibly fit anything else in there. They didn't get my argument that if they gave bikers a real incentive to ride in they'd have a ton more space for cars. I've worked at big companies that give prime parking to bikes and it fills up quickly since it's the difference between finding a spot and not. There's some dedicated parking behind bldg 500 but you have to have a pass (there's a nice Harley old that parks back there with copper oil lines). I say turn that sucker back in.

If you catch me or the wife on the DR, you can take it for a spin. The suspension is pretty impressive for what it is- soaks up the curbs nicely.
  19. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    Oh it's ugly, but we like it that way. I need to drill a few holes in the handguards- they're bad water-catchers.