BMW r90/6 cafe racer build

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Hearse, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Speed King

Speed King Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd do the fairing- it's going to look great.
  2. Hearse

Hearse Project n'gagi

Oddometer:
    saweet. you twisted my rubber arm - deal. cant wait. loving this project
  3. Hearse

Hearse Project n'gagi

Oddometer:
    So all i had time to do on the weekend was sort out the tunnel in the tank - there was some surface rust that was caused by a faulty master brake cylinder squirting fluid over everything stripping the paint and da da..! RUST!

So i stripped it back, sanded, converted the rust, cleaned and primed it - looking a lot better now.

The next step this weekend is to do the whole tank, strip it back, smooth it out if required, prep and prime it - and the same for the front guard, sand it back, make sure all looks nice, prime and then i can look in to painting!

Obligatory picture included

Tank rust before some work:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Gosh, this is cool!

I really want to do some fiberglass work one of these days.. oh, and finally try soda blasting.. oh, and cafe out my R90/6.. oh, and add an S fairing like that.

:lol3
  5. Hearse

Hearse Project n'gagi

Oddometer:
    Hahah, thanks heaps dude...

you should do it man - i found myself doing work on the bike when ever i can, and i insist on doing everything myself (fibreglassing, soda blasting, painting the tins etc) thats the only way i can learn :) :)

get involved mate! you will love it!!
  6. Hearse

Hearse Project n'gagi

Oddometer:
    hey guys -

did my tank last night, so i had the issue of paint that i wanted to strip, and a dent i needed to repair...

So this is my little dent, not big at all...probably the size of an aussie $1 :)
    [​IMG]

I stripped the paint back, filled and sanded the dent, and voilĂ , no more dent!
    [​IMG]

Here is the tank completely stripped and primed :)

Stoked how it came out....(although it couldnt be that hard right - but i still get excited)
    [​IMG]

I am going to buy my paints this week - I am using original BMW colours for the tins/guards etc
  7. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Your prep work looks very good and we all know that is the key to a good paint job. What kind of paint are you using and what kind of equipment do you have to apply?

A small quibble
    It's called a Bikini Fairing. Sounds better too, don't you think?
  8. Hearse

Hearse Project n'gagi

Oddometer:
    hehe bikini fairing does sound better...do you reckon use it? or will it spoil the naked look a bit?

Well not having an idea about the paint i want to use, i went to an "auto paint" shop locally, and the guy said i should use "base" coat paint. does that make sense?

I have my own compressor and im buying a gun and all the tapes/thinners from this guy so that i know its all good enough for my job. I have never done any of this before nor have a clue so any info in regards to painting is greatly appreciated

Cheers
  9. Hearse

Hearse Project n'gagi

Oddometer:
    i was thinking of some colour schemes...thoughts on the below?

bright orange tank and seat cowl - the orange of the tank will be broken up by the black knee pads
    black front and rear fearing's and bikini fairing
    black frame and stock aluminium engine colour

thoughts?

I was going to do silver with blue stripes down the middle but got talked into looking at other suggestions - any advice guys?
  10. kaput13

kaput13 gasoholic

Oddometer:
    I was trying to find a picture approximating (maybe something like a modded orange r90s) what your bike might look like as described but no luck. My guess though is that visual impact would be greater if you also stuck with orange on the front fairing and maybe added more black offset elsewhere.

Whatever you choose I love what you're doing and look forward to seeing more.
  11. Hearse

Hearse Project n'gagi

Oddometer:
    thanks for backing me up Kaput - legend.

Yea i was thinking that too - but i didnt want to "over do" the orange you know? thats why i stuck with the nose being black

i was thinking of making the light bucket orange as well - and the bucket mount ears black that would add a bit more

i have now also decided to get the hubs of my wheels powder coated black :) so that should help with the off set of black/orange
  12. alex117

alex117 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did two frame up builds and the best thing I did was frame bracing. It make the bike handle well and costs little compared to the effect! Look up HPN on the web and just copy what they do.
  13. tenderfoot

tenderfoot PRJ

Oddometer:
    Something like this will look good !!

[​IMG]
  14. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Ctscrambler

Ctscrambler 2010 Scrambler Black

Oddometer:
    Wow, can't believe how much work you've done in such little time. Really is inspiring. Keep up the good work.
  16. Hearse

Hearse Project n'gagi

Oddometer:
    Thanks for backing me up boys - I got all my spray gear today, guns, filters etc...I'll grab my paint during the week....then paint next weekend, long weekend. Do you guys have tips on laying paint, I.e.

3 layers of colour base coat, wet sand with 800 grit once dry, 5 layers of clear, wet sand with 1200 then buff/polish? Should I sand between clear coats? My amounts of coats good? More?less?

Mate I'm on pagev11 so far, looks mean what you have done...I'll hit you back when I get through it all...might have some questions

Ta scrambler, I love this project eh....so much fun. Just can't wait to be gunning around flying the airhead flag high
    Dude I love that orange, what kind is it? I was thinking of "electric orange" type "electric orange xr5" in to google, I reckon that with a deep black on the guards and bikini fairing, mean!

Any ideas what fairing I can use on the rear that won't go under the seat that I can use?
  17. tenderfoot

tenderfoot PRJ

Oddometer:
    Stolen off the Ritmo Sereno site. Lovely bike !!
  18. Hearse

Hearse Project n'gagi

Oddometer:
    Hey guys - so the big run up to paint day! well at least for the orange coloured parts!

So I high filled and sanded my tank, seat and light bucket with 800 grit - its all smooth like glass, absolutely LOVE IT. I'm going to paint all of these parts with the electric orange :clap

The colour for reference:
    [​IMG]

The high filled parts:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got myself a water filter and regulator for my compressor
    [​IMG]

All the tarps/cover alls/masks/gloves etc ready for the paint
    [​IMG]

and my spray gun! cost me $130 and is has the three different nozzles - feels like a real good quality one (from what i know) so i hope it will do the job!
    [​IMG]
  19. Hearse

Hearse Project n'gagi

Oddometer:
    Next step:

1) I am going to build a rear fender eliminator like Chris' (boxer metal) and build my battery tray/seat pan during the week out of alluminium
    2) its a long weekend here in Aus this weekend, so I will get my spray on and paint my gear above
    3) need to obtain some light bucket ears that have a gap in-between the tube mounts so I can fit some clip on's in there
    4) i am also going to strip my wheels of their spokes and powder coat the rims black and re lace the wheels with some new shiny spokes

Questions:

1) which clip on's are the best? I believe i require 36mm
    2) best way to paint my gear - how many layers of base and then clear? sand in between my base and laying the clear? sand 1200 grit after laying all clear? sand in between clear coats? I know the guy at the paint shop will give me a run down but i would like others advice as well

more pics as the week progresses

Cheers guys!
  20. kaput13

kaput13 gasoholic

Oddometer:
    Have no good answers to your questions but there is a blog by Brooke Reams called "1975 R75/6 Build - "S" Model R with good self painting tips. Looking looking forward to how this goes. I'm thinking of doing my own painting too. If yours looks good might also do a day glow boxer. :D Go Hearse!