Recommendations for balaclava or neck gaiter that doesn't ride up?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by arshishb, Nov 6, 2013.

1. arshishb

arshishb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys, I have been using turtle fur neck tube that I purchased for $10 for a few years now during the NJ winter for commuting. I commute 110 miles round trip on the highway so I am subjected to windchill for 2 hours daily. Anyway recently decided I needed better protection as the cold air would ride up the helmet or through the little openings between the shield & the helmet & my nose would start running & my eyes would start to water to the point where after my ride it looks as if I wept all the way :huh

I tried those half balaclavas or neck gaiters & none of them stay put once I put my helmet on. Trying to slide them up with the helmet on is a fruitless exercise. For now I will continue to use my good ol turle fur but I really want something that provides decent nose protection.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. When you're done screwing around with everything else, bite the bullet and order a Halvarssons neck tube/collar. Don't trust me? Here's a nice review.

The only downside is that it isn't a full balaclava, so depending on how cold you ride, it may not be enough. Certainly, anything freezing and up its all you'll need. I only add a balaclava when its in the 20's and I'm not macho enough to choose to ride that cold.

I bought mine here. I might order another just to have for when I lose this one or it falls apart. I'm going into my 4th season with this and you'd never know it. I wear it on the snowboard too.
  3. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Why not get a full balaclava? Try a polar buff, half is fleece, the other half is thin and you can wear it like a balaclava when you like, or just a neck tube. And if you check their videos, there are 100 other ways to wear them.
  4. HaChayalBoded

Oddometer:
    These work very well also. Schampa dickie

[​IMG]
  5. captwheel

captwheel Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Hammy713

Hammy713 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cycle Gear has a balaclava that works really well under the helmet and if you put it on before your jacket, it stays put. I picked one up on a 2000 mile trip with lots of rain an temps in the 30's. It was pretty cheap too!
  7. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:

I really like my CycleGear balaclava. I believe they call them AntiFreeze. They come in a variety of configuration. from short to full head coverage.

I have the short neck gator variety. I have used them from several years. They do wear out, I have gone though 2 or 3 in that time period. But the cost is low so the pain is not bad.

It seems very light weight. A sort of neophrene material. Works way better than you would think from looking at it. It holds position over my chin, and has never pulled loose from under my jacket. Keeps the cold out and rain as well.
  8. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. arshishb

arshishb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for the recommendations.

I tried the Cyclegear stuff, its called "Freezeout" BTW :D Found it too bulky for my tight fitting helmet, returned it.

I like the Halvarssons, however I have a feeling it will leave the back of my neck exposed every time I do a shoulder check. That was one of my chief complaints on a similar neck collar I tried.

The Buff gear looks promising, going to give that a shot.

Check out their stuff here.

http://www.buffusa.com/sports
  10. meatwitheyes

meatwitheyes Bon Vivant

Oddometer:
    I always fit my helmets a little bit large so a balaclava will fit. I've even taken a balaclava with me when trying on new helmets. I generally wear the helmet year round. It's either that or have two helmets one for cold weather and one for warmer weather.

I do use a regular Buff when it's just cool and like them.
    I also really like my Turtle Fur micro fleece balaclava when colder
    And... last year a picked up Cycle Gear (Freeze-out) balaclava and like it allot.

11. BMW-K

BMW-K Unmitigated Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use the KLIM Balaclava. Different thicknesses of fleece, gore-wind blocker and thinner poly make it fit great under a helmet.

On my Monster, this thing has become such a priceless piece of kit.
  12. HaChayalBoded

Oddometer:
    Friend just picked one up, it's ripped 3 times in 3 places in just a couple days of use...
  13. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got one of the "neck gaiter" things from Cycle Gear. I'm not even sure the brand, Iv'e had it for years. It's thin, with a fleece like material around the front. But most of it is a thinner material. It works well enough, but I really want one longer to tuck into my jacket. This one ends up leaving the back of my neck exposed and cold. I want a balaclava with a really thin headpiece, but insulated around the neck. I have a fleece balaclava, but it's too think to wear comfortably under a helmet. And it's a real P.I.T.A. to get your helmet on over it, without it moving and sliding down, etc. Turns into a real America's Funniest Home Videos type moment. Usually takes several tries to get it on "well enough". So I quit trying to use it.
  14. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    I've tested many balaclavas over the years and my favorite for the last few is made by Rev'it. They make a few different models and they're designed really well. Thin material under the helmet with seams off to the sides and long wind/waterproof material around neck neck and front of chest. Works for me. :D

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  15. rjsurfer

rjsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Polar Buff fan here!

I use the thermo end down by my neck, and the thinner material I keep over my lower face covering my nose and mouth.

The thermo end is nice and bulky so it insulates my neck AND also fills in the area between my shoulders and helmet preventing cold air from entering the helmet. Makes it much quieter too boot,

Ron W.
  16. MeanMoe

MeanMoe one really mean cat

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Halversons. My only complaint is that it fits a smaller neck <16" best.
  17. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I was at my local Costco and just happened upon fleece balaclavas for $9.99. I figured for that price I'd buy it and compare it to my Bilt version. I notice a couple things right away- it's SUPER comfortable on my head due to the fleece, and it has no seams at all. While the seams on the Bilt version don't bother me at all, it's a problem for some of you. I'll report back after I try it.
  18. Bogfarth

Bogfarth Fridge Magnet Safety Tester

Oddometer:
  19. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Campmor & get a fleece neck gaiter that skiers use. I've been using one for 15 years, works great - never a problem. I also have a balaclava, but I never used for riding - only use it to dress like a fat ninja and scare people...
  20. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    I wear a no-fog mask in the winter when riding my snowmobile. Designed specifically for use under helmets. Works excellent!

http://www.nofogusa.com/007D.htm

If the temps are sub-zero, then I add my turtle-fur for extra warmth.