Great Western Trail Tracks Wanted bits and pieces OK!!!!

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by Buddy_Holly, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Buddy_Holly

Buddy_Holly That'll be the day..

Oddometer:
    Best I can tell few have attempted and maybe (big maybe) no one has done the Great Western Trail (see this link for info: click here) But I do know that many have ridden parts of the trail marked by signs looking like this:

[​IMG]
    (this is obviously the Arizona example)

I am looking to compile and then share a gpx file by State of what has been traveled on the GWT. I am also planning on trying to take the GWT from South to North this summer. And posting a huge RR with files and video/photo.

If you know a GPX file that you have took part of the GWT and you can tell me where it is shared- or you can PM the file I would be indebted.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never seen any tracks on GWT.
  3. Buddy_Holly

Oddometer:
    I know folks have done bits of it- anything would help
  4. two_wheeled

two_wheeled two_wheeled

Oddometer:
    I'd like to resurrect this thread if possible. I too am looking for tracks / routes / waypoints / ANYTHING to help me map out the GWT and ride it through AZ.
    I have a new GPS and I'm willing to do my part to map out the AZ portions of it, if only I could get some starting points.
    I can't find where the trail starts around Williams.
    Or near Jerome or Cherry.
    Any help?
    Thanks!
    -Steve in Phx.
  5. Buddy_Holly

Oddometer:
    2 wheeled.

I did the Great Western Trail from The Mexican border to Globe in the spring. I thought I made a ride report- but it looks like I only made it on a site called NMRIDER.com that got taken down. :cry

So here is what I have to satisfy your immediate needs- it has the actual route I traveled included in it.

I was looking to ride the rest of Arizona this summer- at least to flagstaff- but then I broke my collar bone and have been out.

Most likely I will finish the GWT in AZ next spring, and finish the whole thing next summer.

Cheers,

BH

Attached Files:

6. Buddy_Holly

Oddometer:
  7. two_wheeled

two_wheeled two_wheeled

Oddometer:
    Thanks BH, I saw you ride report a few days ago. Very well done! The videos were especially entertaining. Thanks for the tracks! I'll look at them today.
    -Steve.
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buddy, I edited your file to tracks and waypoints along the tracks. Does this look about right?

Attached Files:

9. Buddy_Holly

Oddometer:
    Looks right. If I were to do this section again I would try to find more dirt on the parts where I was no the highway- maybe someone else has the routes for these areas.

Very tired right now.

Night.

BH
  10. DingWeed

DingWeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coincidentally I too have been trying to figure out where the GWT goes. I have ridden a few pieces of it and we are planning to ride another section around Flagstaff this spring. I have been finding conflicting info on where the trail is. I first tried placing waypoints at known roads using the "notional" maps on the official website.

I recently discovered that the Arizona Benchmark map has notations "GWT" along the trail. Unfortunately they are fairly sparse and it is not always obvious how to connect the segments - especially where it crosses I-17 somewhere between Bloody Basin and Camp Verde.

Anyway I attached my planning file which shows the sections in soutern AZ and Utah where I have ridden it. It also shows the planned route for the spring ride, all the waypoints I have conjectured. I used the Benchmark map routing which seems to be east of the notional map.

BTW the offical GWT seems to follow 89 for 100 miles getting across the Colorado River. The track marked Navajo Lookouts, which I got from some ride report looks like a far better way.

Well even though the file was well under the size limit I could not upload it. I will post it on GPSExchange in a day or so.

If you PM me your email address I will send it direct.
  12. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wbbnm,

I have been following the GWT for years. I know some jeepers came up with a route acroll AZ but never seen any effort in other states.

First question, Is any of it marked with GWT signs? Or is it just a user defined route like the Statewide MOtorized Trail System in CA & NV?

Jerry
  13. two_wheeled

two_wheeled two_wheeled

Oddometer:
    Yes, the parts I've covered have been marked by signs, but without a good map or GPS tracks you'd never find all the places to pick it back up after it takes or break or turns.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    so there is a GWT, shadow of the rockies and a CDR all doing canada-mexico correct?
  15. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And there is also the Pacific Crest Quest - San Diego to Mazama WA.

This summer I built a west to east connector to tie together the northern ends of the PCQ and CDR.... I call it the 'Northern Route'.... it will eventually tie back into the eastern end of the TAT.

It's all mapped, but only the PCQ to CDR section has been ridden.

I provided the western section to Countdown to post on GPSexchange, but don't know if he's done so.
  16. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay I posted my tracks and guesses at waypoints here:

http://www.gpsxchange.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3209

I believe the CDT, Shadow of the Rockies and GWT are all different. I think the CDT pretty much follows the continental divide and as such stays high. From what little I know the Shadows route stays lower. Both of these go thru New Mexico and Colorado. The GWT goes thru Arizona and Utah. I have never ridden north of these places.
  17. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    That is exciting to hear NT. I'm looking forward to seeing that route.
  18. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I now have 2-3 active logs of GWT. I will edit them and post it on GPSXchange in a few days.
  19. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have now added my GWT Info gpx file to craftycoder's Dual Sport Maps web site. I quicly learned the web site software does not work well with Explorer 7. I had to run Google Chrome to get the file downloaded and even see the first page.
  20. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    Link to wbbnm's map.