ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. bill1960

bill1960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, in my location it is.
  2. ngads

ngads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    haha not sure, gotta look more into it i guess. I've only had offroad bikes before this is my first street legal
  3. SJktmRider

SJktmRider USMC Veteran

Oddometer:
    Hey guys and fellow riders of NJ. NJ has a self inspection on motorcycles. Anything you own that has a tag can be driven or ridden. I have seen YZ 250's with NJ Plates on them driving right down the street. You technically are legal but if you get pulled over they will write you tickets for no horn, brake light, etc. Blinkers are not needs because you can use your arms. Just get a plate and ride any bike... after riding in the woods/dirt roads in nj I have never been pulled over within 8 years. As long as you are not racing down the street on a quad with no helmet on you will be fine. Just throw the police or state ranger a generous wave and keep on moving. :wave
  4. SJktmRider

SJktmRider USMC Veteran

Oddometer:
  5. snow

snow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This summer I'm having a knee replacement. It's a hard pill to swallow, but it's time to slow down a little bit. My 500 EXC has 480 miles on it. I have it set up really well. If anyone has any questions call me at 303-933-0559 it is also on Denver craigslist. http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3559372727.html SOLD
  6. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Salt Lake City Utah (formerly Park City/Heber)
    I'm using a globetrottin.com rack on my '10 450, the part interchanges with the 500s / it's the same rack. Only weighs 5 lbs and I completely love it, and I also use it for multi day with dry bags on the side when I need to. It comes on and off in about 10 minutes. I formerly had the pro moto billet on my XR and I'd take this one any day over the week over the pro moto billet. Secret is the weight, it's almost not noticeable especially when you upgrade to a lighter battery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. bill1960

bill1960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much fuel does it actually hold ?

3 gal or 3 gal minus whatever the intank pump and filter displaces ?
  8. Chris6_85

Chris6_85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a question about the highway dirt bike bark busters. When installed is there access to the fork bleeders without removing the guards. My cycras are in the way
  9. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put the bike on a stand, loosen the pinch bolts and rotate the upper tubes.
  10. Chris6_85

Chris6_85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thank you. i also have one more question. ktm recommends using an oiled rain cover over the air filter, in wet muddy conditions. so i bought one. oiled it up and put it on. the bike wont run. its not getting enough air flow. i pulled it off an runs just fine. i tried this like 2 months ago and just been running it with out the rain cover. just normal oiled air filter.. any suggestions?
  11. SJktmRider

SJktmRider USMC Veteran

Oddometer:
    I have a rain cover as well but i do not oil because the mesh is so fine that water just beads up and rolls off. as far as i knew it did not need oil.. its just a fine mesh that makes the water bead up. My bike runs great with it and have yet to have an issue with the dust or rain cover.
  12. avconnect

avconnect Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did not have any problems but I had tall risers.
  13. ngads

ngads Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. boostracer

boostracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those of you with the euro map & the mapping switch, does it make a signicant difference? In other words, worth getting one?
    Thanks
  15. juvander

juvander Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yes it does.
  16. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    The Austraiian/Akropovic map makes a diff, the map switches don't make much diff. Haven't tried the Euro map.
  17. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    My 500 has been a flawless replacement for my old 99 LC4 640e but it faces a real test this weekend. We have a ADV rally in the swamps of Florida - our 6th year and are sure to see some deep water. My old bike was a real swimmer and on the rare ocasion it floated I had a quick trail fix routine to dry it out and keep going. BQF 2013 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848162
    [​IMG]

I had a lot of pride knowing that only operator error would drowned my bike but not so sure about the new 500? I also have had as much fun watching the other bikes sink to the bottom or die mid river :D. You know that guy.

[​IMG]

The air box on the LC4 was real tight (unlike the exc) and I would still tape it up just to make sure. It would breath from under seat. It had a removed snorkel and driller upper air box but I would button it up real good. As long as I had a bow wake I could forge water up to the tank using my legs to create a pocket of dry air in front of my lap.

Any tips to seal up an EXC? How will the EFI do if I block the lower parts of the air box? How about worst case - anyone drown one yet? and what did ya do to get it going? I'll bring an extra air filter as well as the little micron fuel filter but am looking for any other suggestions?
  18. HeadintheClouds

HeadintheClouds Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. Dirty in all

Dirty in all Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer:
    Ive had mine in deep water, very deep. Never an issue. I remember thinking the airbox wasnt cut out for what I was getting myself into but I was wrong. I dont know if its the filter technology or what to be honest. Last bike I rode in deep water was a 1978 KE175 and if you got your ass wet sitting on the seat it was over. The 500 had only the fuel cap and handlebars showing quite a few times. Like you said, floating basically. The few times I would bobble and had to get off it would start right back up where it was and I would ride it out. They make a water sock for the filter too which I think Ill get this year but only because Ive cleaned and reoiled the filter myself now and I dont know where my skills stand on that.
  20. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Colemanfu I have the same concerns. Does anybody have any insight on airbox changes on the 500 from previous generation KTM big bores? Have there been any improvements that that increase its ability in watercrossings? I rode a 525 for years and was constantly disappointed with its ability to ford deep water. I drowned it constantly, despite breather hoses being routed up high and down low w/T fittings, weather stripping between seat and rear fender, etc.

[​IMG]

Small creek crossings were no issues but long deep crossings would end up getting only halfway across before ingesting a crankcase full of water. My Japanese one piece airboxes never had issues however the multi piece airbox on the KTM slurped fluids. it got so bad than anything near waist deep I would resort to this method if possible.

[​IMG]

and that is just embarresiing for a hard core dirt bike.

I got to really envy the Husaberg and 690 airboxes in the traditional gas tank positions, but in reality my Japanese one piece airboxes never drowned out until the tank went under water. Have any updates on airbox design to increase water crossings been adapted into the new 500 model?

Dirty in All - Do you have any info on the water sock? I assume this is different from the plastic cover used for cleaning the bike?