the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. nsrrider

nsrrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah, it aint gunna shake its new name of Mr. Bill..........the front is an RMZ250......not sure what year......surprisingly, I found the spring rate just fine (whatever is in em)
  2. nsrrider

nsrrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it is a 19 with a Shinko 705, I like the 19 a lot........it sacrifices a little off-road I suppose, but feels much better on asphalt or gravel......
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the group who will know for sure!

DRZ rear wheel fit the DR650 by chance guys?

Thanks!
  4. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    no, but if 18" is what you want, get a cush hub style rear wheel from an S model DR350. exact fit, but you will need a DR650 brake rotor.
  5. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was actually looking for a DRZ match to go to a KTM as I've found they are interchangeable too. So a cush DR350? Good to know, thank you! :freaky
  6. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    looking for a good value for some heated grips
    and a good set of grips to reduce vibration
    anyone have some recommendations....
    i am also going to get some heated gloves
    but i like the idea of having the grips heated whenever i need
    without having to worry if i have took along the gloves
    thanks in advance
    i have stock bars with bark busters if that make any difference
    i also understand it would be wise to pickup a new throttle tube
    suggestions on that would be helpful as well
  7. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I added extra side pockets from Chase Harper, and a map pocket off a Cortech, they made my Wolfman Enduro just right
  8. Herkjerk

Herkjerk Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I use the symtec heat demon grip warmers with the pro grip rally 714 grips. Used this setup on 4 bikes.
  9. Soldier311

Soldier311 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I purchased and installed the cheapest grips I could find on Ebay and they work just fine. Seriously, like $3-$4, direct from China.
    Underneath some pillow-top grips, which work great for reducing vibration.
  10. SDGarrick

SDGarrick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nsr rider, that's an awesome looking bike, can you list your mods and be sure to mention That far out headlight
  11. Yeffer

Yeffer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice! Maybe you can help out Suzuki with the 2016 design. :clap
  12. Mongle

Mongle Cyberdos groupie

Oddometer:
    Can't help you with the heated grips- never ran any myself.

As for vibration: did you remove the bar end weights when you installed the bark busters? If so put them back on. They help dampen the vibration.

I have the MSR guards and just had to machine the backside of the end weights flat. Looks like NSRRIDER has them on actual bark busters so you may ask him what he had to do to install them.
  13. TinMan207

TinMan207 Most often a lurker... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure it already exists.

Who has the most farkled DR, or something like that. there is also the general DR650 Picture thread.
  14. braddo

braddo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently picked up a 2014 DR650 with 600 miles on it. It was a factory demo, I asked the dealer if it was theirs they allowed customers to use for test rides. They said they didn't know the history, it came from Suzuki and could have been used for customer demo, as a corporate loaner, for reviews or any number of purposes.

Anyway, I seem to have a problem missing the shift into third gear. I've ridden about a dozen different bikes in my 25 years of casual on-off riding and have never had this problem. I've read about the issues with third gear occasionally blowing up on these bikes but I doubt mine would have any issues related to that being relatively new and low mile.

My question is does anyone else have the same issue when shifting into third gear? Is it just a quirk of the transmission on this bike, is it a sign of wear or something out of adjustment or perhaps somehow sloppy technique on my part?
  15. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got an IMS 4.9 gallon tank on my DR, and while I really like the Wolfman saddle bags, I chose a Giant Loop Diablo because it's low(ish) profile doesn't get in my way when standing. Plus, it's pretty water resistant.

Best picture I have:

<table style="width:auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From ADV</td></tr></tbody></table>

Mine is the older version, and it looks like GL is having a sale on the yellow 2013 version - it's about $50 off. Anyway, I'd buy another without reservation if something happened to mine.
  16. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only issues I've ever had with shifting were solved by tightening the shift lever on the shift shaft. Did you check that?
  17. Soldier311

Soldier311 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1. That solved my same issue in the past too.
  18. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info , and others who replied.
  19. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Big Bend Day 5 - 170 most excellent miles today. Including lunch south of the border. This is where and how we crossed the Rio at Boquillas. [​IMG]
    Old Ore Road[​IMG]
    The US publications refer to this rock formation as Mules Ears. The Mexicans call it Chi Chis de la Bruja [emoji4] [​IMG]

BTW there was no riding on day 4 - cold (relatively speaking of course) and overcast. Went to a great museum and had a excellent lunch with plenty Tejas microbrew cervasa.
  20. braddo

braddo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just went out to the garage and checked the shift lever, it seemed tight but I gave the bolt a little extra snug for good measure. I checked the play in my clutch lever and it seems good. I have about an 1/8 in. free-play gap between the lever and the perch.

It doesn't happen at low speed when I am just shifting into third to cruise. It only seems to happen when I am accelerating quickly up to highway speed. Perhaps I am just being sloppy and not fully disengaging the clutch before attempting to shift. Its just odd because its always third gear and other than the occasional false neutral I've never had any issues shifting on other bikes.