The Adirondacks and Beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by prometheus rising, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Serbchaser

Serbchaser Chasin' the Serb

Oddometer:
    As good as the writing and riding are, your photos are absolutely stunning.:deal

I was up in that area in early July (in 95 degree temps :knary ) - my parents live on the eastern shore of Lake George. We rode through Lake Placid, Keene Valley, VT, etc. Beautiful area - you have motivated me to take the camera out of the tank bag in the future.:baldy

Keep it coming - I will keep reading.

Thanks,

CHris
  2. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Great report. I just got a Ural and rode it into work this morning. It takes a little getting used to but I think it's going to be fun. Thanks for taking the time to take and post such great pictures.
  3. sas

sas Thumper Girl

Oddometer:
    Wow. Great eye and my favorite quote from my favorite book. :clap

Your thread reminds me of this one, also from The Little Prince, "When you've finished getting yourself ready in the morning, you must go get the planet ready."
  4. edtheslowrider

edtheslowrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your photo's are stunning.

I've done a few loops thru the Adirondacks and I must say,
    New York road construction puts Vermont's to shame.
    Much as my ass and my back hate to say it.

We stopped for lunch at the Dear Head Inn in E'town, on Elizabethtown Day of course!

Continued good fortune in your travels!
  5. prometheus rising

prometheus rising Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer:
    pitOrz - you nailed it, funny thing is if you asked me what road it was I would.t have a clue even though its also a favorite ride of mine

nhbill - thanks for stopping by, love to get together if your up in October, I'll pm you

V4 rider - Thanks for the comments and visit

serbchaser - east side of lake george:thumb you rode through some of my favorite routes. I envy you guys who live in an area with a longer riding season than the northeast

libera - have a blast with the ural:clap thanks for dropping in

sas - you have great taste in books:thumb Thank You so much for the comments

seevtsaab - thanks, agreed on the vermont/Ny road construction
    :lol3
  6. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    The bike has been parked for a few days as we had torrential rain yesterday and today was spent doing things I'd been putting off for too
    long.

Heavy thunderstorms are predicted for tonight and into the morning, however the afternoon looks promising as of now.
    In the meantime I thought I'd go with a blast from the past.

Let me preface this first by saying I am not a fan of riding at night, I do my best to be off the road before dusk and the wild creatures
    descend upon the roads. Of the times 3 stand out in my memory

The first was when I was 17, in the medieval days before before digital cameras, the second 2 fortunately for me came about just a few days apart
    in early April 2009.

The first one I refer to as " The night of the Geese" and it was that day I got the luckiest picture of my life, but thats a tale for another time.

First comes this one - It was an exceptionally beautiful day for early April, the sky was and impossible shade of blue, with cotton candy clouds
    and temperatures in the low 60's. I cut out from work around 2 and just rode letting the memories of a brutal winter fade pleasantly away.So engrossed in
    the ride I never even stopped for a picture and before I knew it the shadows were lengthening and I suddenly awoke from my reverie and realized I should head home.

As I turned onto the lake road I came upon a sight so mesmerizing I pulled over pulled out my camera and sttod on the shore until I had filled up a 4
    gig memory card. After the card was full I stayed there untill the light was gone wanting to sear it into my memory as I knew no picture could ever
    fully convey the spectacle I had been witness too.

This, then was the night I refer to as the ......

Lake on Fire

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is kind of a crappy shot but I like it anyway, the black dot with the wake behind it is a muskrat and the memory of watching it swim through that gilded water is amazing

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking, theres a few more pics here

https://prometheusrising.smugmug.com/Motorcycle-Travel/Lake-on-Fire/13060048_G7U24#946055620_BkTcU
  7. ChopHawk

ChopHawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stunning pictures Pro
  8. Dragonflylily

Dragonflylily One Women -Two wheels

Oddometer:
    Awe struck! I think you should organize a group ride just to show us these beautiful places. I'll sign up first & I'm an early riser.
  9. PrtclMn001

PrtclMn001 Custom User Title

Oddometer:
    We have two seasons in NY: Winter and Construction.
  10. BackRoadNomad

BackRoadNomad I'm retired...go around me!

Oddometer:
    Promethus Rising -- rather than offer more well deserved accolades on your Ride Report and stunning photography, I offer this quote which to me sums up your efforts and results. Many of us fledgling photojournalists would do well to mentor how you view what has been created for us to appreciate.

I didn't want to tell the tree or weed what it was. I wanted it to tell me something and through me express its meaning in nature. ~Wynn Bullock
  11. AK NIMROD

AK NIMROD CHEECHAKO ADVENTURER

Oddometer:
    new to forum, My 1st post:clap newbie from Alaska, looking to buy v strom 650 , should hear in next day or two if guy accepts one of my two offers. $ or a Boat.
    first Promethus Rising- wow what great pictures i forgot the beauty of that area.
    my parents grew up in Saranac Lake. I spent a few summers there and 2 semesters @ Paul Smith's College:freaky . Quit during TET offensive in Viet Nam. went into the U.S.A.F. before draft got me.:D
    thanx for sharing the pictures and details of your trips
    Pat

12. ghte

ghte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PR the photos were delightful. Thank you for sharing them with us.
  13. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Sunday weather forecast was for clearing skies in the late morning, so with high hopes for a sunny day I set out around 5:30 under dark featureless skies.

First up a trip to the track to check out the early a.m. workouts, on some mornings the combination of sunrise and the dew burning off the grass creates surreal light, this morning however the light was flat and a bit foreboding so I made it a short stop

[​IMG]

Next up was to just roll on some miles to test the new seat out and as the overcast sky would have washed out any scenic pics the cameras stayed in the back pack.. I went through a tank of gas and remained basically pretty darn comfortable, the seat is definetly a keeper. Is it the "Holy Grail" no, but for me it works well and I am pleased with the purchase, no need to take advantage of the 30 day return policy. For reference sake I am 6' 2" tall and weigh 190. The stock torture device is now just an unpleasant memory tucked away in a distant corner of my conciousness.
    On day when the light is like it was even though scenics are a waste of time you can narrow your focus ( no pun intended ) and find some interesting things to look at. With this in mind I stopped by an over grown field with a fairly large pond situated at the bottom of a gentle slope. The skies actually lightened a bit as I trekked to the pond and the effect on the small details was similar to a soft light box

And in that meadow I discovered....

Brilliant Color

[​IMG]

A Lone Sentinel

[​IMG]

A Drooling Bird

[​IMG]

And then as a light rain started and As I was started to leave,I experienced one of the most treasured things in life

Total Bliss

[​IMG]

Thanks to all for stopping by

14. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Chphawk - thanks for the comments
    Dragonflylily, thanks for stopping by again, remeber I''m looking forward to seeing your pics
    Thunderdogg, thanks so much, I googled Wynn Bullock and found his site, very cool, thanks for turning me on to him, love that quote

ghte thanks man

aknimrod, i'm homored you made this your first post, welcome to the asylum good luck with the Vstrom
  15. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Lake on Fire is awesome!:thumb
  16. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, Joe,
    Stunning shots, big thanks.

HOw do you carry your camera equipment (and tripod?) on the bike and are those hand held or tripod? gorillapod?

Both of those lenses are pretty good sized.

Looking for more from you--you should post those in the Nikon sections of photo.net

John
  17. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Stress relief, perfect weather and the border patrol

After a week of self induced stress, when i woke up yesterday morning and looked out upon the day I knew it was going to be a perfect one for riding

[​IMG]

I just wanted to ride, no stops besides fuel and no camera, I did however relent and took the canon p & s and headed North.

After a couple hours I came around a corner full tilt boogie and up ahead there were flashing lights, orange traffic cones and men in uniform, state troopers, sheriffs and border patrol WTF i,m at least 75 miles from the border. After checking the inspection and plate stickers it suddenly became Q & A.

Border Patrol - where are you coming from

Me - Debating if I should reply - Yo no Hablo Ingles - I quickly decided humor was not an option here, so I answered a few questions and was soon on my way

Yes i did ask if I could take a picture to which the reply was - We're done here, move on.

So I did, it was too perfect a day to wastye, temps ranged from 65 in the morning to 74 by the time i returned home

So one stop for the law, 1 for gas and 2 for pics......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    dave6253 & JayelDee thanks for stopping by

JayElDee - I carry the camera and lenses in a back pack, not ideal however I do have a wunderlich seat bag on order and we'll see how that works, never carry a tripod or any support on the bike, I'll bump the iso
    brace the best I can if need be on the bike, my knees, the ground etc. Certain shots like the sunrise in the preceding post I do use a tripod, these I take from home just before leaving or on return to document
    the beginning and end of the ride. Oh and I bracket, bracket, bracket, if I get one shot out of 50 with the Nikon that I like I.m satisfied

19. MoisheLettvin

MoisheLettvin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pictures! I grew up in Massachusetts and I miss summertime in the northeast. Something really special about the air and the sounds that time of year you just don't get out west. Your pics bring it back for me.
  20. Dragonflylily

Dragonflylily One Women -Two wheels

Oddometer:
    The photograph of the sun rising over the field of wildflowers is so pleasing to the eye. Breathtaking work, thanks for continuing to share.

I've hiked the past few mornings & if I were to stand still long enough with a camera I'm quite sure I'd be devoured by horsefly's.