Faceshield cleaning

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by gmk999, Jul 23, 2014.

1. bigdog99

bigdog99 Weaned and neutered

Oddometer:
    Been using plain ol' Windex for 30 years or so on shields from Shoei, Arai, etc. Spray on with one of those dollar store bottles kept in my jacket pocket, give it a little time to soften up the hard bugs, and then using CLEAN fingertips only, gently rub in circular motions until bug guts and dirt dissolved, wipe clean with a soft cloth or paper towel. Have never retired a face shield due to yellowing or scratches.
  2. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
  3. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remove the visor and wash it with warm water and liquid hand-wash, both sides. Any brand will do, its just soap. Rinse off, dry using a soft fluff towel, and refit.

Basically just soap and water.
  4. mtnbikeboy

mtnbikeboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This, there was a guy who showed it on a YouTube video. Works amazingly well. I usually do a microfiber and leave it on for 20 mins or so. I just set it aside and come back to it. Just water, nothing else. It does nothing for the scratches but will remove the bugs every time. :deal
  5. Conedodger

Conedodger Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Been doing this with dish soap for years. Works great. I'll occasionally add a coat of wax.
  6. TorontoBrit

TorontoBrit TorontoBrit

Oddometer:
    Unscented baby wipes, come in a nice plastic container to keep in your tank bag, then a microfiber cloth to dry. Works great, reusable until pretty grungy, then toss and grab another one.
  7. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In a pinch, I just use the gas station squeege. Don't do this with your helmet on, or at least keep the front vents closed. . .. :rofl
  8. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the cost of face shields, and even goggle lenses, this is pretty much what I do. But I usually do it with some dish soap and water. I've not had to buy a shield in a long time and only a couple goggle lenses since I put a tear off on them to add protection. The lenses usually go bad due to dust that gets between the lense and tear off, but takes years. Shields last virtually the life of the helmet.
  9. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Save some $$$ and buy the stuff from the Dollar store. We did some side by side comparisons on a Harley that just happened to come into my yard covered with bugs.:D

My old roommate, hadn't seen him of ridden with him for a very long time. :clapGlad he still rides but unlike me he has moved up some in the cleaning technology and does carry microfiber cloths....I still go for whatever soft is in the rag bin at home.:wink:
  10. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    I do it this way too. Since nearly all of my helmets are made by Shoei, it's very easy to remove and reinstall the face shields. I'll take the shield to the sink, run water over it, then put two or three drops of dish detergent on it and rub that around until I can't feel anything that isn't smooth. Then just dry it with a dish towel and put it back on the helmet.

I've never had to replace a shield on a Shoei helmet due to scratches or other issues that could be blamed on improper cleaning. I have never felt the need to do more than this to keep the face shield in good shape.
  11. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been using it on face shields for over thirty years, never a problem.
    Thanks for reminding me to do it again.
  12. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...

^^^. This.
  13. kerhonky

kerhonky Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    Look carefully at the squeegee before you do this. If it's fairly new it's probably OK, but I scratched up a tinted visor pretty badly doing this.
  14. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    Some of them reek something awful, too. Might be prudent to do a quick smell check before you smear that water all over your helmet. I found this out the hard way at one particularly disused-looking gas station in Montana and had to smell old decomposing bug guts inside my helmet for the next couple hundred miles.
  15. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:

• I hear acetone works great on bugs!:hide
  16. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always bring a hand towel on my travels. I soak 1/2 the towel, wring it dry, fold it and place it in my top case. On every gas stop I use the wet side of the hand towel to wipe the dirt off and then the dry side for a final cleaning. Works like a charm.

I then leave the dirty towel in the hotel room and snag a clean one from the hotel room, repeat.
  17. atgatt

atgatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto!
  18. wvtaco

wvtaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Usually clean them at work.
    Hot water rinse.
    Wet gauze with dishwashing liquid
    Wet clean water gauze rinse
    Dry with gauze.
  19. bbrz

bbrz Long timer

Oddometer:
    If they are fresh kills, visorvisionusa.com. The V2 sponges are an all in one system. Check the ship charge per units. I love mine and will purchase a larger pack for future use.
  20. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer: