Ex-Pat SMIBS to Alaska Ride 2013 (Planning phase)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by 6USMC6, Oct 25, 2011.

1. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!

Onward and upward!
  2. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    Mailman delivered my copy of milepost. :clap

Time to start reading! I did not expect it would have that much information. Wow. Certainly worth the $25.
  3. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    Ah, yes. This will last for the first day and a half, then it's out the window. :lol3

It's obvious I need to get caught up on happenings down in the South 48. I see that Flagstaff has been moved east one state. :huh and the Yukon has been annexed by NWT :scratch And where have all these shortcuts come from. Guess I need to get my GPS updated. :deal

Hey, don't mind me - the winter doldrums are having their effect. :norton
  4. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    That is what happens when I have wine and work a plan. I am at 90% for the next plan. I took your advice about Fairbanks to Prudhoe bay. I am thinking about heading straight for Kalispell, and hitting Grand Teton, Yellowstone and other sights on the way up. I am looking at avoiding the northern part of the ALCAN due to the traffic and road conditions. I am thinking about day trips to Skagway and to Haines. I just got my copy of Milepost. So I will be hitting that hard before I come up with a final plan. I agree that the plan will only last a couple of days before I have to toss it out. :lol3
  5. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    I don't necessarily agree because it really depends on how well you understand the trip, your capabilities, and everyone on the rides capabilities. My trips so far have been pretty close to the plan and if anything I was faster than the plan with extra time to burn.
  6. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Wine? Do you know why Washington DC has so many circles? L'Enfant was an alcoholic. Every time he sat his wine bottle down on the map we wound up with a circle!

So far, every thing sounds good Bob and I agree with Alcan - plans change and besides, trips are more enjoyable if flexibility is "engineered" in.

This is the first I've heard of Milepost - I'll have to take a look. I did get the Butler maps for Idaho, Wyoming and Montana - oh, and BB is sold!
    Still debating whether to get something more suited to the trip or just put a Heidi/TKC80 combo on the ST and ride it.
  7. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    It has been awhile since I posted. Here is my lasted plan.............

<table width="1376" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><colgroup><col style="width:48pt" width="64"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:6582;width:135pt" width="180"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:8813;width:181pt" width="241"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2816;width:58pt" width="77"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3181;width:65pt" width="87"> <col style="width:48pt" span="2" width="64"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3254;width:67pt" width="89"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:18651;width:383pt" width="510"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl64" style="height:15.75pt;width:48pt" height="21" width="64">Date</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-left:none;width:135pt" width="180">Start City</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-left:none;width:181pt" width="241">End City</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-left:none;width:58pt" width="77">Daily Miles</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-left:none;width:65pt" width="87">Total Miles</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-left:none;width:48pt" width="64">Motel</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-left:none;width:48pt" width="64">camping</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-left:none;width:67pt" width="89">Reservations</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-left:none;width:383pt" width="510">Notes</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">29-Jun</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Camarillo</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Hatch, UT</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">533</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">533</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">I-15, I-80</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">30-Jun</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Hatch, UT</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Afton, MT</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">440</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">973</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">-</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">-</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">-</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-left:none">Big Ed's place</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">1-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Afton, MT</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Miner, MT</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">247</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">1220</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-left:none">Grand Teton, Yellowstone</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">2-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Miner, MT</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Kalispell, MT</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">428</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">1648</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">3-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Kalispell, MT</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Banff, AB</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">369</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">2017</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">4-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Banff, AB</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Prince George, BC</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">410</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">2427</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">93, 16 Gas in Jasper and PG</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">5-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Prince George, BC</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Kitwanga, BC</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">300</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">2727</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">37 (Yellowhead HWY), </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">6-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Kitwanga, BC</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Dease, BC</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">302</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">3029</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">37 (Cassiar HWY)</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">7-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Dease, BC</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Teslin, YT</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">294</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">3323</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">37, 97</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">8-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Teslin, YT</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Haines Junction, YT</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">210</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">3533</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">97, Trip to Skagway</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">9-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Haines Junction, YT</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Haines Junction, YT</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">296</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">3829</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">y</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Trip to Haines, AK and return</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">10-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Haines Junction, YT</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Valdez, AK</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">254</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">3787</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">11-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Valdez, AK</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Anchorage, AK</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">254</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">4083</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none" align="right">1</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">12-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Anchorage, AK</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Anchorage, AK</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">100</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">4183</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Visit local Sites, Maintenance?</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">13-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Anchorage, AK</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Homer, AK</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">225</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">4408</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">14-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Homer, AK</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Denali, AK</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">491</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">4899</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">15-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Denali, AK</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Fairbanks, AK</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">210</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">5109</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Denali Park (day visit), U of A dorm room</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">16-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Fairbanks, AK</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Wiseman, AK</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">266</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">5375</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">17-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Wiseman, AK</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Prudhoe bay, AK</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">220</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">5595</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">18-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Prudhoe bay, AK</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Fairbanks, AK</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">486</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">6081</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">U of A dorm room</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">19-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Fairbanks, AK</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Chicken, AK</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">280</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">6361</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">20-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Chicken, AK</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Stewart Crossing via Elsa YT</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">326</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">6687</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">21-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Stewart Crossing via Elsa YT</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Ross River, BC</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">250</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">6937</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">22-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Ross River, BC</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Watson Lake, BC</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">224</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">7161</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">USAF Lodge</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">23-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Watson Lake, BC</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Meziadian Lake, BC</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">367</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">7528</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">24-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Meziadian Lake, BC</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Prince George, BC</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">393</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">7921</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">25-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Prince George, BC</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Cache Creek, BC</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">275</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">8196</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">26-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Cache Creek, BC</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Bellingham, WA</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">263</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">8459</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">XY?</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">27-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Bellingham, WA</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Medford, OR</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">536</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">8995</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Y</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">28-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Medford, OR</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Lodi, CA</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">344</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">9339</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">-</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">-</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">-</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-left:none">Man camp in Lodi</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">29-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Lodi, CA</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Camarillo, CA</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">354</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">9693</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">30-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Camarillo, CA</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">9693</td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">31-Jul</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">1-Aug</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">2-Aug</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">3-Aug</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">4-Aug</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.75pt" height="21"> <td class="xl67" style="height:15.75pt;border-top:none" height="21" align="right">5-Aug</td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> <td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
  8. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    10-Jul Haines Junction, YT Valdez, AK 254 3787 Y

More like 540 miles.

That's the only one that I checked.

EDIT:

15-Jul Denali, AK Fairbanks, AK 210 5109

About 125 from the park entrance to Fairbanks.
  9. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Looks good.

RT to Kalispell for me is 4,700 miles - give or take - giving me a total that will be a bit over 11,500. With the bike serviced right before I leave and shod with newer tires, the maintenance stop in Anchorage should work out well.
  10. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

I will go through and verify. How accurate is Mapquest within AK for distances? Now that I have a milepost, I will be checking milages vs. that also. Yes, I read the fine print about Milemarkers not being actual miles. So I will go off this weekend and do more homework.
  11. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    I wonder it their milemarkers are more like the original interstate system exit markers (i.e., position in sequence rather than actual mileage)?

12. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    On the Alcan the original milemarkers have stayed in place even though they have been changing the road. So the old milemarkers are a reference not an actual mileage indication.
  13. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  14. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    I've used MapQuest and Google Maps to plan trips on the Alcan, Cassiar and in AK and they have been fairly acurate. Google Maps is what gave the 540 from Haines Jct to Valdez.
  15. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    I wasn't doubting you. I have cut and pasted to that excel spread sheet that I am not surprised that it is wrong. Need to go back and redo the distances and review my thoughts on hitting the sights. Any input regarding something (sights) that I missed please hollar. If I am wasting time by going someplace that would be good to know also.
  16. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    What are your expectations for Elsa, YT? Your detour from the Klondike Hwy to Elsa and Ross River is interesting. I have not ridden that route but know some of the roads in that area are very poorly maintained.

In Chicken the place to visit is Downtown Chicken. Susan has a decent bakery/restaurant, bar, package store and souvenir shop. A side trip to Eagle is worthwhile on your way across the Taylor Highway and Top of the World Highway. Probably the only Alaskan village you will get to see.

Too bad your trip does not put you in Dawson City on June 21-22 for Dust to Dawson. It is a great gathering of riders. You can still visit the Downtown Hotel which is the epicenter of D2D. If you have issues with your bikes in that part of the world then contact Dick at the hotel for assistance. If you have time take a ride up the dome to see the sights.

Plan a stop a Liard Hotsprings. Great way to relax; soaking in the mineral springs. There is camping, but it tends to fill-up by 1600 hrs. (In general it is better to start riding very early and then stop around 1600-1700 Hrs. You get more time on the road without RVs and have more options for camping or lodging). Liard is about 190 miles north of Ft. Nelson. There is a lodge at Liard, but you will probably need reservations to get in. Ft Nelson is also a place where reservations are needed due to the over abundence of oil field workers competing for beds.

Consider a side trip to Hyder Ak. Great scenery and a quaint little town to visit. There is a local glacier and there are many, many bears to see. And, you can get Hyderized.

Visit the Alaska forum and ask questions over there. There are guys that have 40+ years of experience riding in AK and the Yukon and they are a friendly lot for the most part.

In Fairbanks stay on campus. Info on that is in my signature line. I used to oversee the dorms and have confirmed they will be hosting bikers again this year. It is good place to meet other riders and get updates about the haul road. You can also store gear there that you do not want to take up north with you; and, the laundry facilities are free. By the way, if my time in Alaska were limited the last road I would ride would be the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse. Up to the Arctic Circle/Wiseman is a worthy trip, but beyond that it is just okay in my book; I know it is a punch your ticket ride, but far better in my opinion to ride to Manley Hotspings, Circle/Central, the Denali Highway and McCarthy/Kennicott Mine... but that is just my opinion.

If you plan on having a service done on a bike in AK it is best to have an appointment well in advance; the shops get very busy in the summer and tend to address folks with deadlining issues ahead of services.
  17. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    I was looking to maximize the number of places seen thus the side trip to Elsa, and I wanted to limit the amount of back tracking. I had an inmate tell me that the Road from Dawson to Fort Nelson was a miserable ride because of traffic and road conditions. Thoughts, disagree. I have no set plan for this trip. I just want to see as much as I can at a leisurely pace. For me, this ride is the adventure, seeing the sights, meeting the people.
  18. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    expect stop and go traffic from kalispell north into alberta over the holiday week on that route.

i wouldn't bother staying in prince george

there's not much in kitwanga besides food and fuel

be a shame to ride past hyder, if you stop there you would be to the top of the cassiar the next day. if by dease you mean dease lake, i wouldn't stop there except for food and fuel

for ross river, you have over 300 miles of gravel road

rather than backtrack haines jct, haines, haines jct, consider teslin, jakes corner, carcross, skagway, haines, haines jct. run either direction, good bike roads, 1.5hr ferry ride skagway/haines

elsa is the company mining town, no services. you would continue to kino where there's a small campground along the creek, or better yet is the provincial park just past mayo. gravel road mayo to kino. there's a 200M dam project underway on the river at mayo, you might want to investigate conditions before you go in there.

you're likely to need reservations for motel stay north of the border.
  19. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going to be leaving Glacier National Park on like Monday the 16th of July. Whatever date is a Monday close to the 16th is. My family reunion is that weekend and then heading up to Deadhorse. I am going to look into the UAF housing. Maybe I will see ya'll somewhere. May hijack some of your plans if you don't mind. Unfortunately dealing with vacations on bad roads is different than in the Alps. I Europe you just ride up the center line between the traffic jams, Fern Pass was the worst. But I digress. I will be on a silver 06 Tiger 955i. Plan on using a TKC 80 front and K60 rear. Hoping they get me there and back.
  20. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    At the moment, Lonestar and I plan to meet in Kalispell on the 2nd and then head north on the 3rd. I expect that we'll cross paths at some point.

The 16th, is a Monday.

The Heidi K60/TKC-80 is a well known setup with the only caution being that the K-60 leaves a lot to be desired in the mud. On dirt, gravel and dry pavement, it's great. It tends to clog easily in light mud and I expect that it would only get worse as the depth of the mud became deeper.