New Old Bike

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by vtwin, Feb 12, 2007.

1. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, call me crazy, but I actually paid for this non-running, parts missing, faded bike.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK, it's a wreck, but it's all mine!:rofl Wish me luck.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Good luck! :D
  3. Straypuss

Straypuss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that a Tempter? they were never sold in the uk but I did read a test of an import and it was a nice bike...grunty and revvy. There was some cleverness with a clutch on the flywheel, I think, to let it rev. I have bought and saved worse than that:D
  4. vtwin

Oddometer:
    Thanks Twinrider, btw, my brother owns a nice 92(?) TDM, well, it's red. Stray, yes, it is a Tempter, just found a site that mentions the "Tempter" name was never used in the UK, but instead the GR650 nameplate.

Have a look. Hope mine could look this good.:D

http://www.davidreiss.com/Tempted.htm
  5. vtwin

Oddometer:
    :cry Ok, it's worse than I thought. I charged up the bad battery and tried to crank the engine. It had the sound of no compression, uh-oh...:eek1 This is what I found...or didn't find....

[​IMG]

See something missing?:huh (oops, how can one see something missing?) Upon further inspection.......and fishing.....

[​IMG]

Funny little pieces.....and....

[​IMG]

Do you see the bent exhaust valve? Being the lazy guy I am, I removed things in situ....

[​IMG]

I think I can salvage the piston. Even the jugs look pretty good, hash marks still there. To be expected from a 13K bike, but what the heck happened to the cam chain????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, it's either is going to be a labor of love or a parts bike, what do all you hardy souls think? Probably could make a few bucks on ebay and cut my losses, or fix it and dump loads of money into getting it nice?:ear It's not like a special bike, although it's a bit unusual with the variable weight crank, air front suspension and "Full Floater Suspension".
  6. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd fix it, but that's just what I like doing, pouring money into bikes that are definetly not worth it.
    RedRocket and Orgoth225 like this.
  7. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    Part it out.You don't know if the con rods or crank are damaged.
  8. Mattbastard

Oddometer:
    only one way to find out...
  9. RayAlazzurra

RayAlazzurra Stuck in the Eighties

Oddometer:
    I never had one, but I've admired these bikes. Cycle evaluated one in the early eighties and found nothing much to dislike except the name. The bike was good for commuting and touring and got nearly 70 mpg if memory serves. There was one unusual feature of the bike--it had a clutch of some sort that brought a heavier flywheel in at low revs and then disengaged to free the engine of excess inertia at higher revs.

You may be able to fix this thing for very little $ if you can do all the labor yourself. The bike will never be worth much, but it could be a very nice commuter or touring bike.
  10. vtwin

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for your suggestions, it's appreciated. I think I'll disassemble it further to judge what it will take. If it doesn't need much more than the chain and an exhaust valve, it may be worth salvaging. To be continued.....:norton
  11. nick_rhinocycles

nick_rhinocycles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco, Moto capital of N. America
    I would cut bait and part that out to people trying to make theirs nice.

Or in reality what I would do is buy another one, and *then* use it as a parts bike. But I am sick that way.

Broken cam chains happen I guess, but I'm thinking the bike was under a bit of stress at the time, maybe?
    --Nick
  12. vtwin

Oddometer:
    Ok, life's been getting in the way and cash is way too little to spend on this little orphaned bike. But I have been slowly getting things for it. Not perfect, but a lot nicer looking tank and really great seat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The sad thing is the engine will need a little welding. The little towers that hold the chain guide for the tensioner was broken, probably when the chain went south.:cry I also broke a little tab while trying to separate the cases. It helps when you finally find two hidden bolts above the oil filter!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The debris you see is from the chain tensioner plastic I think, because the rest of the engine is pretty clean. Saw a replacement engine on ebay, $750+shipping, yow!:eek1 I think I'll try to see if that little part can be brazed or something, it doesn't get subjected to too much pressure, just acts as a pivot for the chain tensioner.
  13. jeep44

jeep44 junk collector

Oddometer:
    I have one of those Tempters out in my barn. My Dad bought it new in '84 (I think) and rode it for a while. He gave it to my Nephew, who fried the electrics jump-starting it from a car. It got pushed into my barn,and there it has stayed. I started to look at it last summer,and picked up the necessary parts on eBay,along with a shop manual. I'm going to get it running after I finish the Triumph that is the main project now. It has wire wheels, and a solid red tank.
  14. Mattbastard

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap
  15. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've kept this picture for a long time; one of the prettiest cafes I've seen allegedly based on a Tempter.

[​IMG]
  16. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, shoot- they don't look anything alike, do they.

Maybe a Japanese and American version? What the heck's going on? I've actually seen one here in the 'States that had the word "Temptor" on the tank, but supposedly it was grey-market.

Well... nice picture, anyway.
  17. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
    That's Savage based, not Tempter. Very cool - whodathunkit?
  18. vtwin

Oddometer:
    You've probably have a GR650X. It came with the single color, wire wheels and non-air adjustable front suspension, otherwise it's pretty much the same as mine. If you check out David Riess(?) he has one just like it. Some pretty neat stuff about the bike. Mono rear shock, centrifigal crank weight that lightens as the revs build, balance shaft, fuel gauge. Pretty cool. Parts are pretty scarce for this bike, but you won't see one on every block.:lol3
  19. jeep44

jeep44 junk collector

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's the base model "X". It is in very good condition,even though it was last run in '95. It has been stuffed in a corner of my barn all this time,covered with a sheet. The mufflers have been plugged to keep mice out. The engine sidecovers have become badly tarnished -they will need some serious polishing. Seeing this thread made me go out and spray some PB Blaster in the spark plug holes,and turn it over a few times. I think it will be a fairly straightforward operation getting it running again-hopefully by the end of this summer.
  20. vtwin

Oddometer:
    Jeep, check out the Suzuki GR Forum, pretty quiet site, but the only one I've found that's really dedicated to the GR650. Good luck with yours.