Archive thread for Rumbux Protection Bars for Super Tenere

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Dirty bike, May 3, 2012.

1. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    As of 01/20/21 All Rumbux products for the Super Tenere are Sold. This thread is now archival. No new products will be offered by this seller.

These are excellent for those that don't run hard cases and like to run fast and light, but also need some protection in the rear area.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got questions? Feel free to PM me, call me or post here and I'll do my best to answer them. Phone calls from 8 am to 9pm MDT Please. If I don't answer, please leave a voice message and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,

Eric V (Dirty Bike)
  2. NorthernStar

NorthernStar Hardly Working in Progress

Oddometer:
    Fairbanks AK but Warming up in Cheyenne WY
    Eric,

A few questions on the crashbar if you dont mind:
    • is this the same one that being sold at the supertenere website
    • how much is the weight of lower part
    • how much is the weight of the upper part
    • where are the attachement points for the lower bash plate (engine or frame)
    • where is the attachement for the upper under the triple clamp
    • do you have to take the lower guard to change oil filter
    • is mild steel tubiong used for the guard
    • what are the pannier racks that are pictured in the website all about
    • have the SS brake lines been lenghtened to be able to accept a higher bar riser
    Thanks for taking the time and effort in promoting this product -
    Frank
  3. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Questions are good.

Yes, this is the same as being sold on the Super Tenere Forum, both posts by me. I am Eric V over there.

Total weight of the bars is ~24 lbs with all hardware.
    Upper bar is 10 lbs.
    Lower bar with skid plate and hardware is 13.5 Lbs.

Attachment points for the lower bash plate are to the lower crash bar only, which is mounted to the frame only. You can opt to mount with, or w/o the factory "skid plate". The lower bars attach at the front bolt of the factory tip over bar on each side, then the large bolt just forward of the center stand on each side. The tip over guard is retained. In part because the clutch side one is a lower radiator mount.

The attachment to the upper hoop, at center, is a flat bar that bolts to the bottom of the long bolt that goes thru the rear of the center gauge pod mounting unit. At the hoop, it bolts in with two smaller bolts.

You do not have to take the lower guard, (bars), off to change the oil, but you do have to take the skid plate off to change the oil. This is 6 bolts, easily accessible.

Originally there were holes to access the drain plugs, but the SA riders found that small sticks and debris would enter via those holes and build up or potentially do damage, so the holes were eliminated. It only takes a few minutes to remove the skid plate and I found it not to add any significant time to a oil/filter change. It's simply another step, which allows me to give things a good look over while doing that service.

Yes, the tubing is 25x2mm mild steel tubing, bash plate is 3mm aluminum, all finished in ferro grain black powder coating.

The pannier brackets shown on the Rumbux web site are for the R1200GS and XT660 Tenere, not the XT1200 Super Tenere. These are not for hard panniers, but intended for those running soft panniers to keep the panniers off the exhaust and from flopping into the rear wheel. Because the Super Tenere's stock hand grab bars can be reversed and installed in the down position to perform this function, no need was seen to fabricate these for the Super Ten.

The brake line kit is only for the lower lines from under the triple tree to the calipers to facilitate fender raise/removal, or simply removal of the cross over line to avoid the unpleasant potential if the fender is broken, as was seen on a F800GS on their forum, where a rock broke the fender, then the brake line cross over caught the tire and resulted in a very unpleasant crash at speed. This should not be confused with an upper brake line kit to allow for higher risers. Different animal altogether. I do not have any intentions to offer the upper kit, since others already offer it now. (Ride On ADV).

I have worked on bringing in the Rumbux product because it fills a niche that is not represented in the US market. I personally wanted a crash bar/skid plate that did NOT mount to the engine or oil sump. The cast oil sump has been shown to not be a good place to mount things to. In the event of a hard hit, it can fracture, resulting in Bad ThingsĀ™. I brought the first 5 sets in on a group buy, for myself and a few forward thinkers that were willing to take a chance. The quality of the bars is first rate. The welds are excellent, the fitment is perfect and I am so pleased with the product that I want to make it available to my S10 brethren. I hope to do so at a price that is reasonable, but still allows me a small profit margin. Business, eh? If things go well, I will get to the point were I can stock bars, and avoid the delay of having to order them, wait for them to be fabricated, shipped, go thru customs and then be re-packaged and shipped to customers. Right now, that is too high risk for my taste. Down the road, we will see. It's been a big learning curve so far to become an importer of motorcycle parts from South Africa. :eek1 Not exactly next door! Lots of variables in exchange rates, etc. and I'm too small to get a good shipping rate, but I believe it can still represent a good value for American buyers.

Thanks for asking questions. From good questions, we all learn.:thumb
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    that is a sweet setup you have!
  5. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Thanks eakins. Small world. The wife and I ran into Court & friends in Mexican Hat a couple weekends ago. He's got that GS looking schweet too.
  6. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not a huge fan of the upper hoop, personally.

How much protection (in a tip over) will the lower skid plate portion provide? Would you say it is similar in protection to most other guard offerings?

Any "tipped-over" pics to show what touches first?

ac
  7. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    I think the lower side bars offer protection that is equal to some crash bars out there, certainly better than the stock tip over guards. I don't think the lower alone is equal to some of the other offerings when you are riding w/o bags and in rocky terrain where uneven ground or an errant bolder next to the trail could be an upper side impact issue. One of the reasons I like the full set is that it not only guards against lower side impacts, but fully protects the radiator/fan in upper impacts too.

Tipped over pics?:huh I've nev... well, ok, I have dirt napped the S10 several times, but it was prior to the Rumbux crash bars going on, so I took the bike out to the front patio and 'laid her down' :wink: so the inmates could have a look. Several shots just taken. First with bags on, which clearly has an impact on how far over the bike will go. With the bags on, the lower bar doesn't even touch ground on flat surface. However, with the bags off, it does. I hope the following pics answer your questions, but feel free to ask for a specific pic and I'll do my best.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now with bags off. Didn't think to get a good low angle shot with the bags on since the bike was held up higher by the bags. Certainly does illustrate that the shift lever is at risk. Both upper and lower bars kiss the pavement at about the same point on flat surface.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And a shot of the upper hoop bar that runs from the hoop to the center bolt that holds the gauge pod bracket/sub unit in place.
    [​IMG]
  8. NorthernStar

NorthernStar Hardly Working in Progress

Oddometer:
    Fairbanks AK but Warming up in Cheyenne WY
    Eric - PM sent your way. :1drink
  9. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Some interesting questions via PM by inmates. There is some interest in using the Rumbux lower bars/skid plate with other companies upper bars. This has not been done or test fit at this point.

What I see is that in most cases this will be possible. The lower Rumbux mounts at the same front bolt as most other upper crash bars and has a flat tab that should fit under or over the other bar's mounting bracket or tab, depending on design. It may require a little muscle or spreading of one product or another, but should not cause any issues.

For those that don't care for the upper hoop design, this is an alternative option that upgrades the skid plate to a non-engine mounted design w/o having to replace your existing upper bars.

I'd love to test fit this concept if anyone happens to be near me or wants to come my way and has another brand of crash bar already mounted. I'll buy/cook lunch for any takers.
  10. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny, I was just going to ask you that question!

I have the Givi bars already, and I just can't get over the "massive" nature of the light hoops, but I LOVE that skid plate design.

That is why I was asking about ground clearance and how much protection just the bottom piece would provide in a tip over.

Your pictures are AWESOME, and frankly, were needed to sell this product! Thank you!

ac
  11. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    That's why I love questions! It brings up things that help everyone and if one person is asking, others are going to think about it too.

If enough interest is there, I can order the lower units w/o the forward tabs used to mount the upper bars. This is not a huge deal to have deleted. Cost should be the same.

Eric V.
  12. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Too much going on recently. I received enough orders to place an order with Rumbux. The wire transfer went last Thursday and the bars are in the process of being built now. Hopefully they will ship from South Africa early next week or possibly at the end of this week, depending on their other production work.

At this point the next order is essentially 4-5 weeks out on delivery. For those that want to order Rumbux items and missed this order, please keep that in mind, but the sooner I get the minimum number of items on order, the sooner I can place the build order with Rumbux. They build everything to order, so it's not just a matter of pulling things off the shelf and shipping them. That does slow the process down.

To those that ordered this time, thank you for your purchase and patience!!:clap:clap

More news when I have it to share.
  13. nanisx

nanisx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    do they make a luggage rack for the super tenere?
  14. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Not at this time.
  15. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    For those waiting on the current order, the units are built and off to powder coat. Shipment from SA should occur early next week!:clap:clap
  16. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    The current order is off to the airport to be shipped. Hopefully on the plane shortly.

The crate of Rumbux bars went to the shipping agent on Monday.
    [​IMG]

No waybill yet, but things are moving and the bars should be in Vegas by next Monday if things go to plan. Won't know when they clear customs until the agent pings me, but hope to get them re-packed and shipped out to peeps next week, early if possible.

I am taking orders for the next shipment, so if you're thinking about ordering, now is the time to do it. Approximately one month out on delivery for the order developing now.
  17. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    For those interested, the next order has been placed with Rumbux. At this point, you can still add your order to it, but that window will close soon. Hopefully by Monday afternoon when I hope to send the wire transfer for this order.
  18. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Update - The order in shipment was pulled off the plane in London for inspection. Not exactly sure what happened, but I surmise that by the time they cleared it, the plane was long gone. Virgin Atlantic then is truck freighting it to Gatwick?? where it goes back on a plane bound for Las Vegas. I had hoped this would arrive in LV last night as scheduled, so drove down there this morning to pick the bars up. Sadly, nothing there and a wasted $100 in gas as well. I was really hoping to get these re-packed and shipped out to customers today.

Unfortunately, it's going to be next week now before I can get the bars. Apologies to everyone waiting. I know this sucks.

The second order has been paid for via wire transfer and is being built. I have one Full set of bars in this order not spoken for and two sets of light brackets.

EricV
  19. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Just got an update from Virgin Atlantic - The shipment is now due to arrive in Las Vegas on Sat the 23rd. :huh That's service, I tell ya. :hmmmmm More when I know it.
  20. CANNONMAN

CANNONMAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would like the skid plate. Did you happen to order any extra? Not to crazy about the upper bars, but really like the looks of the skid plate. Let me know if you have any extra skid plates and I will get a card # to you. Thanks, Mark