Will Ride for Beer

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Lobster Grrl, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Lobster Grrl

Lobster Grrl Ground feeder

Oddometer:
    Oh nooooooo!
    I'm down to my last sixer of Yuengling!

[​IMG]
    No worry, I've got a few days off and a trip to PA would be perfect :D

The itinerary is shaping up:
    West Enfield, Maine to Dixonville, PA via Lake Placid and the Adirondacks.
    Spend some quality time riding with Chromer.
    Ride all the twisty bits I can find :p3rry
    Spend a couple of days with my Great Aunt Kathryn.
    Bring back all the Yuengling we can carry on the bikes.

lg
  2. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Smelly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Smokey and the Bandit. :thumb
  3. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    "West bound and down, loaded up and ridin' we're gonna do what they say can't be done..." :lol3

lg
  4. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    The trusty steeds:
    Chromer is riding a 2007 DL650
    I'm riding Bella, '09 F650 Twin

[​IMG]

We both packed light, saving precious cargo space for the beloved Yuengling :D

Day One: Destination Lake Placid, NY

I mapped out the route using Delorme GPS software. I decided to avoid interstates whenever possible, after all my goal was to ride the twisty bits :evil, and to enjoy the scenery of the mountains. I've been wanting to visit the Dak's for a few years now.

The forecast was for temps in the 90's. I dug out the mesh gear. I made room for my camelbak in the tank bag. I was glad I did because I ended up drinking 3 liters by the time we reached Lake Placid :knary

lg
  5. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    We made our way across Maine and into NH on Route 2. It was painfully slow at times. Once in VT we decided to stop for lunch. We found a restaurant called Anthony's in St. Johnsbury. I had the chicken bacon burger special, Chromer had the roast beef :dg

[​IMG]

Riding across VT was beautiful. Lots of dairy farms and fields. We finally arrived at Burlington where we boarded the Lake Champlain Ferry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ferry took longer than I figured.
    One hour twenty minutes to go 40 miles! They served beer though :lol3

Next to us on the ferry was a tatoo HD Skirtster chick sportin' official HD bandana protective head gear, and her pirate hubby riding a CanAm hauling a trailer. Both bikes so clean you can see yourself in the chrome. He looks over at my bike and says "Ummmmm, don't you ever wash that thing?" I said thanks, I have more fun in the dirt than I do on the pavement :evil. He never said another word :lol3

Also on the boat was a guy and his wife from Colorado who had just spent a week kayaking the Penobscot and Kennebec Rivers. They raved about the rapids being some of the best they had ever run.

I made friends with a yoga instructor from San Fransisco who was on the way to visit her Aunt in the Daks. By the end of the trip she was instructing Chromer and I on a few positions. I'm sure it made for some interesting entertainment for the rest of the passengers on the boat :lol3

We eventually arrived at Port Kent and I got my first glimpse of the Adirondacks. Wow! I was lovin' it :clap

lg
  6. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    We started riding through the Daks, only 40 miles to Lake Placid. County Road 33 from Ray Brook to Saranac Lake had some nice twisties. Short but sweet :thumb

Here's a cool looking stone wall
    [​IMG]

We arrived at the Comfort Inn at Lake Placid in the dark. We changed and decided to grab a taxi to the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery. After 380 miles of riding I was done for the day.

Several of the NY inmates recommended the pub and the infamous UBU ale.

[​IMG]

The pub is in an old church. Heh, I'd be here every Sunday if I lived closer :D

2UBU's
    [​IMG]

UBU and BBQ beef :dg:dutch

[​IMG]

UBU in progress :rofl

[​IMG]

We had a great meal! That UBU went down way smooth for a 7% beer. It was so good I had two, seeing how I wasn't driving :beer

Thanks for the recommendations guys :clap

lg
  7. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    After dinner we decided to walk up main street and check out the town. Everything was closed, but it was fun to look around.

One shop had some hilarious t-shirts in the window

[​IMG]

This one reminded me of MZ and GoodOlGuzzi, two Maine inmates who are currently riding in a hack to the SkiBum Soiree in Labrador

[​IMG]

We found a bobsled in the middle of town

[​IMG]

and a sign saying the US Olympic team was recruiting for luge try outs. A few more of those UBU's and I may have well just considered it :poser

[​IMG]

About then the free trolley made its way up main street and we hitched a ride back to the hotel.

Off to bed, tomorrow is another long day in the saddle.

lg
  8. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    We rolled out of bed early and took advantage of the free breakfast at the hotel. We both had French toast and fruit. The weather looked perfect, another 95 degree day was predicted. Thank goodness for mesh gear and camelbaks.

Lot's of pretty lakes in the Dak's.

[​IMG]

It got windy for a bit. Strong winds have a way of really beating you up on the bike.

[​IMG]

We stopped for espresso at a cafe' along the way. Yes those are purple Adirondack chairs.

[​IMG]

We continued on and eventually stopped at the Quincy Corner Cafe' for lunch. Lunch was good, but the service was very slow. We were the only customers in the place and it took 45 minutes to get our meal.

[​IMG]

Later that day we arrived at the much anticipated route 144 :clap
    Twisty bit heaven :p3rryIt just goes on, and on, and on for like 60 miles :thumb:thumb

[​IMG]

We stopped in a cute little town called Germania for fuel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With full tanks we were ready to continue the twisties :clap

[​IMG]

We rode through a couple of state parks and eventually arrived in Dixonville in the dark. We had one small deer run out in front of us, but we had plenty of room to avoid hitting it. The GPS routed us up and over a small mountain on an unmaintained road just before my Aunt's house. It was steep with lots of washouts. It's the good thing it was dark and I couldn't see how bad it really was:lol3

lg
  9. 06Klr650

06Klr650 RidingCountry.com

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's shaping up to be a great ride :thumb
  10. Gooch

Gooch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seriously? After reading this I took a closer look and I can't believe anyone thinks your bike is dirty -- not even as a conversation starter (a failed conversation starter, as it turned out). Can anyone really be that type-cast?

And what kind of a pirate rides a CanAm?
  11. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    Dirty picture coming soon :lol3
    I thought I did pretty good to get the dead bugs off the windshield and headlight before we left :D I've had the bike since May and have only given it a bath once, so maybe I am a bit on the lax end of shiny clean.

It's the first pirate I've seen on Can Am :dunno
    We passed several other Can Am's on the road once we got into NY, I guess they're more popular there. I haven't really seen any up here.

Thanks for riding along...

lg
  12. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    Thanks for riding along :freaky

lg
  13. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    1st, nice report.

I haven't had a beer in 3 years, though I drank my share of Budweiser prior to, and I'm now hooked on wine.

I know we have new rules about proper behavior on advrider.

but dude. Yuengling? :puke2
  14. 2twisted

2twisted NRTHJSTNRTH

Oddometer:
    Nice RR....:clap

looks like you 2 had a great run. :freaky
  15. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    After riding more than 500 miles in the saddle Thursday my butt had callouses! That brings the two day mileage total to 892 :evil

My Great Aunt Kathryn had the farm lit up so bright you could have seen it from the space station :lol3 I pulled in the garage and she had a cold Yuengling and dinner waiting for us:clap

The carpeted stall. Notice the dirty bike

[​IMG]

Those chicken strips are about gone after riding route 144 :D:D:D

[​IMG]

Aunt Kathryn had prepared lots of food in advance. We were nothing shy of starving when we arrived :dg

[​IMG]

Aunt Kathryn is like the Energizer Bunny. She just keeps going and going :lol3
    At 82 she still works full time at the job she's had for over 60 years! She started out as a nanny for a family in Pittsburgh back in the 40's, and has never left. She's seen them through childbirth and times of death. She's compassionate, strong-willed, and perseveres through whatever hand life deals her :clap

On top of all that, she still mows 2 acres of grass every week at the farm, and cuts her own wood with a chain saw :D Way to go Auntie!

We sat around the campfire and caught up after dinner

[​IMG]

lg
  16. prometheus rising

prometheus rising Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer:
    :thumb Sweet ! Looking forward to more ! Amazing woman your auntie is :clap
  17. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    Budweiser? :fishie
    I like beer with body and flavor.

Wine is nice too though :nod

lg
  18. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    Yes we did 2T.
    No performance awards this trip either :deal

lg
  19. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joe!

lg
  20. Gooch

Gooch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was there scrapple involved? Inquiring minds...