Touring Bikes With Low Maintenance Costs

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MHaz01, Mar 15, 2013.

1. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    I'm going to have service work done on my BMW K1200LT this Spring. I don't have a facility or the time to do most of the work myself so I'm looking at a prety big bill for work done by the BMW dealer.

I don't understand why it costs more to buy, mount and balance two tires on my Beemer than it does for four tires on my car, and the car tires last six times more miles.

I don't understand why replacing the front and rear suspension costs twice as much as a set of fout top-quality shocks/struts for my car.

In short, I'm getting really sick of the costs to maintain my Beemer.

I ride mostly two-up and take long trips, sometimes longer than 10,000 miles. I need a good, comfortable bike for us, and one the has reduced maintenance costs. And I don't want to break the bank buying it.

What say you, panel of experts? Which bikes are worth testing with the criteria above in mind?
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle parts and tires cost more than their automotive counterparts, in great part due to the fact that there are so many more cars and trucks than motorcycles.

Obviously, there are also design differences, etc.

But the economies of scale favor the four-wheelers, at least where you live.

Go to SE Asia and buy a scooter; they're cheap, tires are cheap, etc., because there are so many of them.
  3. The Kurgan

The Kurgan Firing on one cylinder

Oddometer:
    North of 49, in a place called The Hammer
    Not sure if you would consider this a touring bike, but I got rid of my expensive-to-maintain '01 BMW K1200RS for an '01 Honda CB750 Nighthawk. They are worlds apart in terms of maintenance. Brutal vs Simple.

With a tall windscreen, a butt-buffer seat cover, and soft luggage and/or a sissy bar bag, you're good to go for light touring. Fun bikes to ride.
  4. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    Have you tried out a DL650?

The rear cylinder is kind of a bear to get to, but otherwise it is cheap to maintain and there are plenty of luggage and windscreen options. I'd suggest a 2012+ if the money isn't an issue.
  5. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Aren't the Guzzis cheaper to service/maintain than BMW?
  6. bobivey

bobivey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the past 10 years I have owned a BMW K1200LT, Honda GL1800 and a HD Electraglide. The maintenance costs on the BMW were twice the other two.

I won't mention which one still remains in my garage.
  7. The Kurgan

Oddometer:
    I suspect its the HD ;)
  8. The Kurgan

Oddometer:

I used to own an SV1000S. Great motorcycle, and a gem of a motor. But changing coolant and doing valve checks was a royal PIA.
  9. rider33

rider33 Traveler

Oddometer:
    I have an ST1300 with about 18,000 miles on it. In that time I've replaced the tires once, had the valves checked once (in spec) and changed the oil. I don't recall exactly what all that cost but I do remember it being a whole lot less than other touring bikes I've owned. I'd never really been a Honda fan, I am now. If you want a touring bike that doesn't break or cost a great deal to maintain, I'd take a look at either the ST or the Wing, depending upon your needs. They just sort of work with a minimum of drama. 'Quite capable too, who knew?
    [​IMG]
  10. glynb

glynb Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer:
    +1- What he said.

St's and Goldwings last forever if you do just the basic routine maintenance on them, so you don't necessarily have to buy a new one.

Find a one or two owner ST or Wing that has been cared for and it will carry you as far as you want to go without issues.
  11. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:

honda
  12. Scoobynut

Scoobynut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FJR1300, Concours14.
  13. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    Good advice, thanks.

A scooter is too small, and I'm pretty sure that the DL and Honda cruiser will be as well. I'm 200 lbs; my wife is 120. That's a bit much for the smaller bike.

The ST1300 is a sweet bike, from what I've read. Anyone doing long two-up rides on it? And by "long" I mean >5,000 miles.
  14. sraber

sraber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get a used 1800 Gold Wing. Buy regular gas and change oil every 8,000 miles. Bridgestone rears last 12-15 thousand mi. and fronts 18-20,000 or more. Be happy with your ride! :D
  15. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Nothing is cheap to maintain when you're paying a dealer to do everything.

:deal
  16. natez1

natez1 Gear Head Deluxe

Oddometer:
    What no one mentioned Harley yet? Cheapest bike to maintain has been my Evo powered glide, oil, tires, oil, tires, oil, tires, brakes. Maintenance can be done in a afternoon with a couple beers thrown in, dead easy to work on too.Granted I did do a top-end with a cam change at 70,000 but not because it needed it, I was bored during winter and had other bikes to ride.chicks dig them too!:wink: I almost thought about "upgrading" to a twin-cam but what the hell the evo runs to good and I would take it across the US in a heart beat.

p.s. you can put LOONG lasting tires on it too!! and NO valve adjustments
  17. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    But he said:

Yes, HD's are cheap and easy for do it yourselfers to change oil, etc.

If you take one to a dealer for oil, tires, brakes, they are expensive like every other brand.

But I agree, get something with hydraulic lifters and touring-type tires and it will reduce the $$$ outlay.
  18. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    A 20 grand HD might break your bank....but, here's my maintenance costs in 22,000 miles and two seasons:

One new back tire done at the dealer (22,000 miles) about 280 bucks.
    One tightened steering head bearing: about 250 bucks if I recall.

Maybe four oil changes, amsoil, all DIY. (if you can pick your nose, you can change the oil on a Harley). Total about 250 bucks.

That's it. So about 800 bucks for 22,000 miles, and that should set me fine for another six to eight thousand miles.

Front tire still good til 30,000.

No other issues. Brakes fine.

Cakeeater.
  19. ArmSC

ArmSC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out HD...street glide, road glide, electra glide...whatever floats your boat. Service is totally doable if you can turn a wrench. If you dont like the moco look at the metric tourers. Kawi nomads, vaqueros and connies would fit the bill. Yamaha fjr/ royal star or a honda st1300/goldwing would be good to. Dl1000 strom adventure would probably be a cheaper way to go. It depends on what type of bike you are looking for. Normally you pay for long distance comfort but this is no surprise. Depending on your area the used market should be a pretty good for certain models.
  20. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    FJR1300
    As maintenance free and inexpensive to run as a (big) bike can get.