Official Nighthawk thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by eteller, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Yakima

Yakima Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    where did you mount the 12 volt receptacle?
  2. Green427

Green427 Comfortably Dumb

Oddometer:
    There are a few locations you can choose from. The black part of the side fairing is one. Mounting one on the bars can be a pain.

I have a temporary location for mine that is held with tie-wraps. It has been a temporary solution for 2 years now....:shog

[​IMG]
  3. FocusPlayer

FocusPlayer Minstrel on a Cycle

Oddometer:
    I ( ok, WE...no wait, StrayDog my friend did most of the real work...anyway) brought the 12 line up inder the seat and tank and up into the right hand pocket of my fairing. In there I have about 6" of slack and a marine quality socket. - I will likely not need the slack - most everything I would plug in has ample cord to make it inside the snap-down pocket in there and have the extra length zip-tied out of the way.
  4. genespleen

genespleen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I've written Race Tech on this, but they're not talking to me. So I ask the forum: has anyone installed valve emulators in their forks?

I believe that a set is available for the post-91 750, and for the 700s, but do not know if Race Tech makes a set for the mid-80s 650.

best,
    David
  5. truck6driver

truck6driver Proud Navy dad!

Oddometer:
    :clapWell the parts bike has arrived and I stripped it down to this point.

[​IMG]

All I have to do is pull the carbs and figure out how to disconnect the driveshaft. So for you experts here, do I pull the entire swing arm or is there a trick to it? Winging this one without a manual. I have 5 motorcycle repair books and none of them are for bikes I own now. :huh

Ray
  6. genespleen

Oddometer:
    This might be a helpful thread:
    http://nighthawk-forums.com/index.php/topic,7350.0.html

Seems to indicate that as you remove the engine, the universal joint will simply slide off the end of the driveshaft. But I've not done this, so...
  7. truck6driver

Oddometer:
    OK thanks.

Looked at that web site but you have to be a member to see it so maybe later when I'm not at work.

Ray
  8. Green427

Oddometer:
    It is a better site if you are looking for technical help. Just sign up and look around, you might get your answers.
  9. Louisiana Rider

Louisiana Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dude....press the button half way and the camera focuses,then press it all the way down!
    That's a terrible pic!!
  10. truck6driver

Oddometer:

No shit really?? :lol3

No it's the camera. It is an older one that has been through the mill. I need a new one but it is not in the budget. I can take 4 pics of the same thing and it will do that on 3 out of them.

I did get the engine out today. I had to call a friend over to pull it out of the frame but it is sitting on the bench now. Changing out a few seals and gaskets, then a light coat of paint for the looks. I'm dreading doing it all over again to my bike. :cry

Ray
  11. Louisiana Rider

Louisiana Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry....a bad camera is a bad camera,but the bike takes priority on funds!
  12. genespleen

Oddometer:
    There is a really interesting review of the 1990s Nighthawk 750 posted at another forum. Rather than copy it here, I'll just post a very short excerpt, and a link:

http://nighthawk-forums.com/index.php/topic,8634.0.html
  13. Lesswheelsmorefun

Lesswheelsmorefun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    what are your guys thoughts on an 80-90s nighthawk 600-750 as a first bike? Not a supersport but enough power for highway travel and still has some decent handling?
  14. ExTex

ExTex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an '83 650 Nighthawk and think it is perfect. Still lots of Ebay parts availavle as well as new Corbin seats.
    The 1982 was the last of the old style engines, so I stayed away from it.
    Of the 1983+ Nighthawks, both the 650 and the 700 are very capable motorcycles.
    With shaft drives and hydraulic valve lifters, get a AGM battery, and you will have only tire maintenance to do.

Ride safely,
  15. Shawn595

Shawn595 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first motorcycle is my 93 Nighthawk 750. I rode bicycles a lot in my 20's (10 years ago) but the NH is the first motorcycle. That said, I did take a MSF class before I started riding the NH, and that class helped me out a LOT. I can't recommend the MSF class enough. I gained a lot of basic skills, and a lot of confidence too.

Good luck!

-Shawn
  16. Green427

Oddometer:
    The Nighthawk 250 is more forgiving for beginner riders. The bigger NH's are decent beginner bikes, but will hurt you a lot more if you become complacent.

The new Suzuki Tu250 is an excellent beginner bike, it handles well, lightweight, and will do freeway speeds. I am thinking about getting one for commuting and selling my Rebel.
  17. CL77

CL77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great article. Many thanks for posting it.
  18. njpaddler

njpaddler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ghettoburbia, N.J., U.S.A., near Philadelphia
    My first bike, a 1985 650 Nighthawk, is still my ride to work. It's a great beginner bike, a fun weekender, too. It's reliable, the only negative is that I don't ever want to shut it down and get off it.

I bought another one, a 1983 650 with minor repairs needed, here in town at a get it out of my yard price I couldn't resist. Does that anwer your question ?:wink:
  19. RABBIT170

RABBIT170 CB750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done a before and after dyno run of a Nighthawk with the washer mod and tim H. exhust mod?

it would be neat to see what kind of gains you can get.
  20. MKorn

MKorn 2whl Addict

Oddometer:

i found my 02 750 NH to be the easiest bike i have ridden. I regularly scoot up and down the E-way at 70-80mph with no complaints.