Comfortable rpm to change gears

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by therider, Jan 25, 2015.

1. kiwiGraham

kiwiGraham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Isn't the rev limiter the engines way of telling you to change gear :rofl:rofl
  2. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Keeping Mrs. def happy is the a top priority and she likes diamonds...nothing wrong with that..extra wives and GFs only run up the bill and deplete funds for stuff.
  3. nsx

nsx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can't get one without it, but like others have said, it's worse than useless. On the topic of V-twins, I have three, none of which like to be lugged. In fact, they hate it. Not all V-twins are Harleys.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, mine must be turned off then. I never saw it, or a reference to it.
  5. nsx

nsx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's in the owner's manual.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    See, that is the problem, who reads the manual? :shog
  7. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Who reads or needs the manual when you've got Adventure Rider watching your back.
  8. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what you read in those dark months before you get your get your bike...
  9. Scourge

Scourge Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quoted for truth. Sometimes I shift before redline just because I'm bored of waiting :lol3.
  10. pHudson

pHudson still riding

Oddometer:
    I don't find the manual to be very useful. I've read quite a bit of it, but still can't find instructions for activating the digital speedometer in the setup menu. Previous owner set the readouts to his liking (I assume) and I can't change them.
  11. Red Knight

Red Knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I never had any clue, so today on my travels I paid attention to the shift RPM.

Conservative riding, smelling the Roses-- 3000 to 3500 rpm changes.

Just moving with traffic, normal going-- 4200 to 4500

Moving- on a mission- 5000 to 5200 Rpm changes 1 thru 4 -- less at 5 and 6 because I just blew the speed limit..

Bike happily shifts butter smooth way past these rpm. I always shift by feel, and if / when I need to go, the machine has no trouble lifting the front wheel at shifts. Be warned, you will be well above most posted limits in 3rd gear :eek1 if you step on it. 15 GS Adventure .
  12. pHudson

pHudson still riding

Oddometer:
    That looks about right to me. I like to rev a bit higher in the twistys, but I'm normally running about 3800 to 4500. I've been consciously trying to run under 4000, but don't have a good reason.
  13. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Traffic? The light in a block is red? :dunno
  14. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the pro on board computer:
    go to the custom menu. There you scroll through what what info you can see, all items have (something along the lines : off, top, bottom). Do you want to turn them on or off and do you want them in the upper or lower screen? one of those items is the digital speed.
  15. calfroper

calfroper In it to win it.

Oddometer:
    What RPM when going with slow traffic, level ground. I see no harm at 2500rpm 2, 3 or 4 th gear, just steady throttle. Seems smoother and more relaxing to me. I always downshift to accelerate.
  16. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do the same. I often even let it drop to 2200rpm. If you let it go to low the engine will let you know, now worries.
    Due to this topic I started paying attention to it. Even in the car. And I sometimes let the car go below 1000rpm in 4th gear (and it doesn't complain, it is a bigger European diesel). The automatic shifts down if it gets below 1300rpm (smaller petrol engine).
  17. bonox

bonox Tryin Hard

Oddometer:
    I had a 4 cylinder 250 once. It produced 45hp at 18,000rpm and about a billion decibels.

The "powerful" GS, while actually pretty low powered for 1200cc, produces that same 45hp at 3500rpm or a third of its range.

Seems pretty reasonable to me - I doubt you use all 125-170hp of your bike in every gear all the time either!
  18. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    The digital speedo is pretty much worthless IMHO because it reads 3 -4 mph high. If I didn't have the NAV V I guess I would use it but I have it turned off.

To adjust the computer pro options the bike needs to be on and stopped (maybe in neutral). Scroll through the top or lower buttons on left controls (can't remember which). Find the custom setup menu press and hold either the top or bottom button I can't remember which (some trial and error will take place) When you get to the options setup what item you want on the top and bottom screens, what you want disabled or what you want on both screens. For example on the top screen I have the odometer, trip 1, trip 2, trip A, range, ride time, total time (and maybe something else I can't remember). On the bottom screen I have ambient temp, engine temp, average mpg 1, average mpg 2, mpg C, average speed, tire pressure, volts and engine oil level (and maybe something else I can't remember). Once it is all set to you liking you have to press and hold either the top or bottom button on the exit option. I leave the eco shift, the service date and miles to service all disabled.

It's a pretty nice setup but BMW should include this option on the base 18k bike since it's just software enabling the hardware that already exists.

Nickle and dime on BMWs part just like my $100 up charge Matte "Metallic" paint. Now how can matte paint be metallic?
  19. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's my point. If you only plan to use 45 hp, why buy a bike with 125 hp?

I ride bikes for fun. For me fun means whacking the throttle open and running it up to redline every chance I get. The engine sure doesn't mind. In fact there is a school of thought that says lugging the engine is the culprit in carbon buildup on the piston faces, which can lead to burnt exhaust valves. So, I have more fun, and my engine is healthier. Win-Win.
  20. mtbenson

mtbenson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The RPM at which you shift depends on the oil you use. :wink: