Boots tucked into pants

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Timber2wolf, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Timber2wolf

Timber2wolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am still a noob when it comes to dirt riding so this question is probably going to seem a bit noobish. I'm seeing a lot of pics with pants tucked into peoples off road boots. What is the reason for this? I would think if riding off road the pants over the boots would make more sense. It keeps the dust and dirt from getting inside the boots. Also in the rain, it does not allow the water in. Hopefuly you guys take it a bit easy on me when answering this noob. Thanks.
  2. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    pants in a chain sux :thumb
  3. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely a pants-in-boots guy, but aren't they making some riding pants now that are designed to be worn over the boots? The Moose and 661 pants I use can't be expanded to wear over most real riding boots anyway. I go a different route and wear boot gaiters over my MX boots...or whatever. You can see 'em in this pic because they're a screaming red...LOL!...but you can get them in different colors if you're a more subtle style maven.:lol3 BTW, the gaiters in this pic are at least 20 years old. The freaking things last forever. Mine are Malcolm Smith versions.
  4. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    I prefer in-the-boot pants as well. One less thing to get caught on stuff riding by, and I don't have to worry about the pants catching on the pegs when I put my foot down off-road. I usually carry rain pants with me since most off-road pants (especially the mesh stuff I wear in summer) isn't waterproof, and having the pants tucked in makes it a lot easier to get the rain pants on. Haven't had an issue with dust and sand getting into my boots, and most MX boots leak in rain anyways.
    docjekyll2002 likes this.
  5. ibafran

ibafran villagidiot

Oddometer:
    I am a pants-over-boots rider. Mostly because its easier and my pants fit over the boots. Pants that fit over the boots may give sore spots if folded and stuck inside the boots. Pants that don't fit over the boots real well usually get tucked in rather than left bunched up above the boots. Thus, wear your pants in a way that works for you. If you are riding handlebar-to-handlebar with others, having gear that doesn't snag on stuff is probably a good idea. I have yet to snag my pants cuffs in ways that would make me change my preferences. My pants do not flow much air and having the cuffs open to some airflow works for me. Some pants will have a way to close the cuff if you decide that you need to cinch the cuff down.

Occasionally, a rider prefers one style over the other and it comes down to just that.
  6. BentAero

BentAero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most traditional motocross oriented pants are made very small in the calf area with the intent to fit inside the boot.

Some of the newer style pants from companies like Klim are made to fit over the boot.

I've always had the "innies", but just ordered two pairs of Klim "outies" that haven't arrived yet. Sure hope I like 'em...
  7. flak

flak Long timer

Oddometer:
    that's basically been my experience, they're already snug at the calf so it was natural to have them inside the boot - plus the boot would surely hold up better vs. heat near the header pipes, so inside the boots they go - dirt and dust in the boot is a non-issue, splash up from big puddles however pretty much sucks - can feel the water drain down your leg til it settles around your feet, kind of a bummer in cooler weather
  8. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Motorsickle enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Pants tucked into boots virtually eliminate that embarrassing "kickstarter up the pant-leg" phenomenon.
  9. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    It's also cheaper for the manufacturer to offer only tuck in pants. I am 6'3", pretty sure that all the OTB pants on the market would too short.
  10. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    What's a kickstarter?:lol3

Seriously though, I can see that happening. Any good stories floating around where this happened?
  11. Joshter

Joshter Just a rider....

Oddometer:
    Rode off-road with a pair of new mesh pants with armor this summer. I tend to wear pants over the boot - but wish that time I had ridden with them tucked. On a single track I managed to get a small sapling woven under the clutch and front brake cables, so I let off the throttle and of course tipped over since I now had a tree woven into my MC.

After getting the shiny side back up, I found the exhaust pipe had melted the mesh on my pants. Had it been my boots it touched, or even a pair of Draggin' Jeans - melting would not have been a problem.:freaky

I think the probability of getting gear torn, melted, scratched etc. -increases with how new the gear is.... something to keep in mind!:lol3
  12. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Motorsickle enthusiast

Oddometer:
  13. Twentyniner

Twentyniner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It depends on how much $$$ you spent on your boots! :deal Sidi Crossfires = pants in the boots, cheap bargain bin boots = pants outside the boots. :D
  14. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've never undertood the rationale with the over the boot pants. Why? Over the boot pants are just risking too much when riding difficult off road. That loose fold of fabric is just asking to get caught on branches, bushes, pegs (yours and other riders) etc. I was told the AMA motocross ruling even banned them at one time but have not confirmed this.

Look. dirt biking is hazardous enough without worring about your pants getting caught up in things you could avoid with in yer boots pants. I understand that it looks a little bit less "Transformerman" with over the boots to the public but if it saves me a caught, sprained, twisted, or busted ankle or knee I'll take it anyday. Hell even if it saves me from tipping over due to snagged pants I'll take it. I crash often enough without any needed assistance from my pant legs:evil .

Another reason is cost. Most bikes are fourstroke now days and the thought of ruining a pair of pants on a hot header is ludicrous.

I see no benefit to over the boot pants. Venting - The additional amount of venting OTB pants offer due to the fit arounbd the boot is minimal compared to proper vented pants. I've worn ITB pants for 25 years and never had anything uncomfortable about them. They fit over my socks and knee/shin guards so their is no contact or pressure points from the material that I've ever experienced onto my skin. I tried one pair of OTB pants on a vacation and caught my bloody leg on the footpeg two times.

I reckon the only reason for OTB pants is a bit of vanity. The owners like they way they look. Thats fine with me but from a pragmatic standpoint I've yet to see the benefits of OTB pants only the downsides.

Your mileage may vary.
  15. 5th-Elefant

5th-Elefant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happens all the time. Very funny on the road.
  16. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    So true! I like to show off my crossies! :rofl
  17. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If someone "tips over" because there pants got caught on a the pegs..:huh welll I think there are going to be a lot of crashes anyway.

Like the op mentioned there are advantages...one thing is water with good boots and over the boot pants I NEVER get wet feet anymore...If you ride all year this is a big deal..!!!!!

Like most products made they improve a lot..When these pants first came out they were baggie style..now you can get a tight fit but still have them over your boots..

I use both but I find the over the boot style are the ones I choose most of the time..
  18. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes thats what this thread is about..!!
  19. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet you will..!!
  20. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    The amount of "if you wear your boots over your boots, they will be caught in the (insert item here) and you will die!" is pretty interesting. From day one, I rode with pants over boots. Why?

1. I don't like dirt/mud/water down my boots.
    2. I don't like the look of pants inside the boots.
    3. I don't like messing with putting pants down my boots.

Now, I wear monster knee guards designed for serious off road riding. So I already have stuff, stuffed down my boots.

The downside?

The bottoms of my pants get smashed, ripped etc in wrecks. I pay the tailor $5 to fix them. Done.

The boots-from the ankle up look nice and new-protected. Boots-$450. Pants $100. Pants can be easily repaired and aren't a ride killer if they get ripped.

The whole "pants could get caught in X" is sort of far fetch at least in my experience. It has never happened.

I wear the Klim over pant.