Hotrodding the GS - Pre-Order Sale!

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Poolside, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    Managed to get out yesterday on some quite tricky backroads by Loch Ness. Had enough time to try the IICE Air on both the -20 setting and the zero (bike as standard).

At first I thought yeah, the bike is running great (as it generally does!) but not feeling that different. I then swapped the jumper over to the zero setting and the difference was apparent immediately. Felt really jerky and rough in comparison. Swapped it back to -20 and the whole plot just felt so much more refined. Yeah, that's it, more refined. Tackled a bit of cut up farm track and standing up I felt I had much finer control on the throttle than before, where if I opened the throttle there was a distinct feeling of the bike jerking forward and throwing me back unless I was careful. Now I feel like I've got much better fine control of the throttle. I'm a happy 1100 owner.

[​IMG]
  2. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>You're right about that, Carlo. I'm not going to win any speed contest, but your bike will work better.

I'm working through a few board iterations to find the right orientation of the components on the Calibration board. I've tried a couple of board layouts, and one more layout is in the works.

The thing is, these small boards use very small surface mount parts. They will be hot air reflowed by hand using a hot air solder/rework station. Because of the size of the parts, and because hot air is the reflow method, the assembly process is sensitive to component orientation and trace width.

How small are these parts? The components are tiny rectangles 0.040in x 0.020in (1.0mm x 0.5mm). The circuit board is smaller than Roosevelt's head on the face of a dime.

The little white squares are not components, that's table salt! (And the size of a dime for reference.)

[​IMG]

Placed on the face of a dime, the component will cover just half of the letter E in LIBERTY.
    (The part shown is one of the thermistors on the Calibration plug-in.)

[​IMG]

<BR>
  3. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Nice pic. That is some truly beautiful country!

<BR>
  4. jadoca

jadoca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want the calibration plug in part and asked 4 or 5 days if you could ship now and if not, when. No response from Poolside whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised if this calibration part or digital device never came to fruition. Hope I'm wrong. I'm supposed to be "on the list" too from several months ago.
  5. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    It isn't that you didn't get a 'by when' response, it's that you know that we give 'status reports'. It has been that way from the start. The status of the Calibration part was posted yesterday morning at this time. You received the status report, and you've communicated your various issues. They have been noted.

<BR>
  6. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    I'm confused. Posted where? TIA
  7. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    That would be here. "Status update" in poolside parlance. To paraphrase: "working on it". I know that will frustrate many, but it is what it is. ;)
  8. sunlinden

sunlinden David

Oddometer:
    SlowOldGuy,

Yup, understood. I'm waiting for the re calibrated part so that I can experience what it's all about. It hasn't stopped me from riding, trust me. I've been waiting for the new and improved working edition for a couple of months now and would like to enjoy it before winter sets in again.

Dave
  9. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Me , too. Count me among the "not so patiently" waiting. But whether we are patient or not , we're still riding while we wait ...and we're still waiting. ;) But, yeah. Summer is gonna be on us. Texas Hell. Not much Spring left. Get hopping, PS. Chop, chop.
  10. BV BEEMER

BV BEEMER Can I see some ID?

Oddometer:
    So.... finely installed the air!

It felt noticably smoother and did not seam to threaten to stall like previous. It lifted the front wheel easier too.

Then I read that it doesn't work on my bike...

Jumped to -30... smoother and more authority while lifting the front tire off the ground with a full tank(2007 R1200GS Adventure).

I like it alot... don't know if I was suffering from placebo or not at the -20 setting... or maybe it does give you a little bit...

I'll trade up to the new digital combo when it's ready.

Thanks for your diligence in sorting all the issues that arise from such endeavors.

Your patience is also remarkable for handling all these folks with serious white people problems.

Thank you for all your work...

I will happily wait for the digital duallie!
  11. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    OK...I get the wheelie crap...not my cup of tea...and that you really dig -30 setting....but "serious white people problems" ..man you blew that one by me!:D If it indeed has any probative value :brow
  12. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    emphasis mine&#8230;
    HAHAHAHAHAHahahahahaha

That is such a straight to the point assessment, and so true! :thumb
    And some of my best friends are white folk&#8230; :lol3

JJ :evil
  13. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    You bet, BV, thanks.&#8194;Issues arise naturally when taking a chance at something.&#8194;And like the first-worlders, are not unusual. Heh heh.

<BR>
  14. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    I know, right? I just got ahold of two platform bikes. When the time comes to wrap up the Digital Smooth and Cool devices, I'll be able to write code and test it while riding. The Calibration plug-in part for the original Air is almost complete, and we'll pick up where we left off with the Digital devices directly.

<BR>
  15. sunlinden

sunlinden David

Oddometer:
    Poolside,

Can you provide a status on when I will be receiving the updated fix for the r1200gs? I've paid good money for a product that does not work as advertised.
    This should be a top priority over any of the newer products you are trying to engineer. If you want your reputation to go down hill, then continue to ignore your customers.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Dave
  16. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    As to your repeated question, it has been answered many times. I understand you are not happy. I'll put you on the Special Customer list, maybe that will help. And, of course. You spent money on the product, and I'm spending time and money fixing the issue that came up.

As to what design thoughts cross my mind during the day, well I can't help that can I. As I said in my post just before yours, and many other times, when the Calibration part is complete, we'll pick up where we left off with the Digital devices.

In the meantime, I pray this will soothe your breast.

"The weak may not be admired and hero-worshipped; but they are by no means disliked or shunned; and they never seem to have the least difficulty in marrying people who are too good for them. They may fail in emergencies; but life is not one long emergency: it is mostly a string of situations for which no exceptional strength is needed, and with which even rather weak people can cope if they have a stronger partner to help them out."
    -George Bernard Shaw, Pygmalion ​

<BR>
  17. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    That's no more true now than it was then. And I understand you have issues that still seem to have the better of you.

"The being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy."
    &#8194;-George Bernard Shaw​

<BR>
  18. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Funny how people keep saying that it does work. See above.

So saying "that your device doesn't work with the 1200" is misleading and incorrect.

So, many people read 'claims' such as yours and see as much of a problem with inaccurate statements, as the 'problem' (which is being corrected).

And this is the first and last comment I will make on this.

This is the Vendors forum where selling is the function, not technical discussions.
    Lets keep it on track, shall we?

JJ
  19. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Of your 62 posts, 33 of them have been in a Hotrod thread. This is not the place for your behavior.

<BR>
  20. sunlinden

sunlinden David

Oddometer:
    If you, the vendor, would simply provide a date when you will have the fix available, I would be content. Is it a week away, two, three? Do you even have a fix available or is it all on paper at this point? If you could just provide a date when the fix will be available I would be content for now.

(p.s. No need to bother with another George Shaw quote. I don't understand the point you're trying to make with them anyway).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.