KLR650 Dirt Modifications

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Byrd-Man, May 27, 2010.

1. Byrd-Man

Byrd-Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bellingham, Washington...ocean to old growth
    Hello,

I am looking to get into a bike that can bridge an adventure touring bike and a dirt bike (not a 200XC to a goldwing...). I am looking for a bike that with a larger aftermarket tank, pelican cases, and a few modifications to fairing/headlamp can be driven on longer adventure rides incorporating 200-400 mile days on dirt and tarmac. Or it can also be modified with a smaller fairing/tank/remove the racks and some other mods and be halfway decent on the trails (not super technical single track but not a gravel driveway either....)

Looking over several hundred threads I have come to the conclusion that the KLR 650 is the bike closest to the 50% road / 50% Dirt capabilities. The bike that does everything (or nothing) well. Gets the job done.

I have found several posts detailing how to make it more roadworthy but haven't been able to find any threads on how to make it more dirt worthy.

If you have modified your KLR650 for more dirt oriented riding please share your Mods. Please include any links to on-line resources and pictures please!

Thanks for looking.
  2. tofire409

tofire409 Geared up and ready.

Oddometer:
    Get knobby tires, crash guards, proper hand guards.

The bike comes with 25L, if you need more you can add a jerry-can and put the weight lower.

[​IMG]
  3. Fishyhead

Fishyhead Eremikophobic

Oddometer:
    Real knobbies help. I tried the Pirelli MT-21 and now use Dunlop D606.

Ricor fork valves also helped and I'm sure the Race Tech units would do the same thing.

I installed Enduro Engineering bar guards and a Renthal aluminum bar after the stock steel bar bent. I've dropped the bike a whole bunch of times and the bar has been fine.

IMS shifter. I bent it last weekend turning the bike around on a trail but it did not break.

Still to come are better pegs because the stock rubber ones get slick when it's wet and or muddy and a new shock. Folding mirrors are also on the list since I've managed to bust two left mirrors.

PS: I also ordered bar risers to help improve my stand-up ergonomics. IMHO, getting the bike to fit you is key to learning how to ride it.

[​IMG]
  4. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Byrd-man,
    Here's a link to my '08 KLR650 build thread. It's a bit wordy and I changed a few things as I went along. Ok a lot! My '08 went through a couple of different versions, until I decided what I wanted to build. What I wanted was one do everything dualsport motorcycle. The KLR came the closest to doing what I wanted. As always, life seems to get in the way of even the best laid plans, so it's taken a little longer than I had hoped. Overall, I think it's been worth the delay but I will be riding it next week. There is still much to do. The pictured rear rack is going away and I will be making my own custom rear rack in order to drop even more weight from it. At one time the bike did have a set of Pelican Cases and pannier racks on it. Since I'm more interested in dropping weight, I've decided against using those. Two waterproof Ortlieb bags will now be used on it. The next round of big mods include: new FMF header, FMF muffler, Excel 21/18" wheels, Nuetech TUbliss wheel system, Rekluse clutch, Moose Racing Flex bars, integraded front and rear turnsignals, lightweight Lithium Ion battery and probably a Schnitz Racing 685cc engine kit next Winter.

The bike has a complete 2008 KX450F USD frontend on it. This conversion is a bolt-on with an Emig Racing KLR/KX conversion stem. The only modification for that was a new forkstop and to change the mount for the KLR ignition switch. I'll be adding a new forklock shortly. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. There is really too much to list but here goes:

2008 KX450F USD forks rebuilt by MX-Tech Inc.
    RICOR IAS rear shock
    2007 KLR650 rear shock linkage and dogbones
    IMS fuel tank
    Renazco +2 Rally seat
    Moose Racing Flex bars
    Moose Racing handguards & air deflectors
    Moose Racing footpegs
    Moose Racing shifter
    Moose Racing front KX450F brakeline
    Moose Racing airfilter
    Moose Racing FB520 chain
    Moose Racing KX450F axle spacers
    Acerbis locking gas cap
    Trail Tech Stealth Vapor
    Trail Tech X2 headlight
    Galfer wave rotors and brakepads
    KTM military folding mirrors
    LED rear tail light
    JNS skiplate
    2008 KX450F 'Monster Energy' front fender
    2007 KLR650 radiator
    2007 KLR650 fan
    Superbike Gel grips

SamM

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464503&highlight=Building+worth

[​IMG]
  5. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    Foot pegs from a DR650, first off road mod I made to mine. Also good hand guards, the stock ones are useless IMO. A good skid plate (I still need to get one) and a rear master cylinder guard are recommended.
    Mount the rear plate higher up on the fender, one good bottom out off road with knobbies can catch the plate and mangle it up real nice. :wink:

[​IMG]
  6. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    KLR's can't handle the dirt:lol3
  7. Fishyhead

Fishyhead Eremikophobic

Oddometer:
    Says the guy who posts crazy videos on youtube!:eek1
  8. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:

:dunno

:hide
  9. z987k

z987k Long timer

Oddometer:
    look into the DR and XRL before you buy. IMO, they are much better bikes and do everything better.
    :amazon
  10. kojack

kojack Grenfell Country Farmhouse suite!

Oddometer:
    beg to differ...

however I wont start a pissing match here...
  11. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Mine has been modified for heavy dirt riding. It has been on the worst roads possible from Colorado to Guatamala and Baja.
    It has KDX front forks, brakes and wheel. Makes a huge difference. Increased travel and now you can actually stop.
    Aluminum paniards that are lockable, but narrow enough to fit through a standard door. Great for taking your bike into the room in Mexico or abroad.
    DRZ Foot pegs, sticky like dirt pegs should be.
    Pelican rear case.
    Tank paniards
    KTM Tank bag
    After market bars
    Bark busters
    Heated grips
    Aftermarket lights on a custom mount
    Rear shock shimmed to provide more support.
    all frame bolts upgraded and lock tighted
    LED signal lights and tail light
    Trail Tech Vapor computer
    Schnitz Racing 685 kit
    Thermobob
    12V outlet for charging phone etc.
    I know I am forgetting a lot of things, it is set up right.

Awsome bike and I have only bottomed it out a couple times.
    I was planning to keep this bike a long time and it is set up right, but my wife lost her job and I have to sell it.
    It is not pretty, but it is more than dirt worthy and will take you everywhere you described going.

Let me know if you are interested.
    I am posting from my phone but there is an add in the PNWet classifieds here on ADV.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. ohiodualsporter

ohiodualsporter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've done all the usual farkles like gaurds, skid plates, crashbars, etc... one small easy thing I've done is to add a mudflap to protect the shock. On the underside of the airbox there is a tab with two holes in it. (right behind the shock where all the trail garbage gets flung) I used a piece of old innertube (cut to fit) and bolted it to the two holes and let it dangle down inside the rear wheel opening in the swingarm. It flexes with the suspension and keeps all that crap from being thrown onto the shock. It took about 15 minutes sipping a beer to add. :1drink
  13. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    Only other consideration is lower gearing. 14 tooth countershaft sprocket gives you a bit better bottom end, and maybe add a 45 rear for a bit more. If you want to get silly, try a 13 up front. Any combo works with the standard 106 link chain.
  14. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didn't mention the Cycleracks rear rack in your list in the quoted post; leastwise I dodn't find it.

Looks mighty substantial and serviceable, to me; good product!

(Have one on my KLR250.)
  15. pringlecan

pringlecan Burly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    a 22 cent KLR with a skid plate and D606's will go anywhere.

even more dirt oriented than that:

side stand safety switch bypass
    bark busters
    14 tooth front sprocket
    Motech crash bars
    non-DOT tires
    custom tuned suspension

if you run an aftermarket skid, make sure to either cut your drain plug's head down or buy a low profile one. the stock one sticks out begging for problems.
  16. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    The cycleracks.com rear rack is great but it's just too heavy. Probably going to build my own aluminum rack and just use 2 Ortlieb drybags. The cyclerack is going on another project.

SamM
  17. GhostRiderFromHell

GhostRiderFromHell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Modding a KLR for the dirt? I think all you need is a set of nobbies and a full tank of gas :super

[​IMG]
  18. Byrd-Man

Byrd-Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies guys. Great info.

SAM M amazing build out. I lost a few hours going through your link.

How about lighting? Anyone use a dual light set up or one of the 8" trailtech or baja designs solutions?

How about an HID upgrade kit for stock light?
  19. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Byrd-man,
    Thanks! It has been fun. I'll admit that I got sidetrack pretty good a couple of times and the build has morphed into a second KLR project for me. The bike will be finished sometime this week.

SamM
  20. Byrd-Man

Byrd-Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. Great info.

Any comments on lighting set ups or a smaller tank (klr600 or klx650 fit?)