GS 1200 ADV - quick question FD.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by oldtrout, May 2, 2015.

1. oldtrout

oldtrout Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    G'day all.

Sorry for lack of prior post search.

I'm finishing up my FD oil change/ spline lube.

Is it possible to over fill the FD ? If memory serves, when it is full oil will reach the top of the sensor hole and start to leak back. Or is it 180 - 200 ml and no more ?

I am using a different filling method from my last change (steel xclel old style oiler) and no graduation marks to reference. Seems I am putting a lot more than 200 ml in, or just a nervous Nellie.

2010 GS adv.
  2. oldtrout

Oddometer:
    OK, filled up the final drive to leak-back, then drained.

400 ml. !!

Will put only 180 ml back in.

Need to get a better filler upper thingy. Don't want to be blowing seals :rofl

OT.
  3. BMWRich

BMWRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess....."Live N Learn"...!
  4. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    180ml is the correct amount.

JR356
  5. One MO Rider

One MO Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried something different than what I had read before. I have 2006 GSA with the non-vented "lifetime" FD, so have the swing down to drain FD. I did the initial oil fill from the drain hole. This saved a lot of time over the speed sensor hole fill as it is not restrictive and the oil goes in much faster with no "run back". Once it was full enough to start dripping, I put the drain plug back in and then filled the rest from the sensor hole. I got around 170ml into the drain hole fill, so very little to add into the more restricted flow rate sensor hole. I only lost one drop from the drain hole while putting the plug in, so accuracy was good.

This is going to be my new fill method. :clap

Additionally, I will add that while not 180ml, 170ml is pretty darn close, and if someone needed to do an emergency fill for any reason without a way to accurately measure the amount, this would get a lot closer to the needed 180ml fill than guessing how much you were putting into to the sensor hole. Based on the reasons behind BMW reducing the amount in the FD, too much oil seems to be more dangerous than too little, to a degree that would matter here, so seems like a safer option in this situation. I am betting that if someone were to put a board under the center stand and increase the angle of the FD drain hole, you could get the full 180ml in without the need to put any in the sensor hole. What that thickness of board would be to do that would be good to know. Maybe I will find out and post back in another 6k miles.
  6. oldtrout

Oddometer:
    Thanks MO, but on the 2010 onwards, the drain plug is on the bottom of the drive. (What a great idea ! )

How hard would it be to put a filler hole on the TOP of the drive ?

Anyway, I like to fiddle and work around some strange Tutonic thinking. Like the two sizes of nuts on the skid plate. Or the fuel strip. Or the .......

OT
  7. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:

I use the Sally Beauty supply bottle shown in this post: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423851

Has measurement marks in ml which makes filling the final drive super easy. I put in 190ml as 10ml usually stays in the bottle. I heat the oil in the microwave for 30 seconds which makes it flow easier. I never spill a drop.
  8. Import

Import Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heatmy oil too.....then use a syringe.....quick and clean.
  9. oldtrout

Oddometer:
    Yes, Jim VB also recommended the beauty supply bottle, but for the life of me, I have never tracked down one. As we are so naturally good looking here, the supply stores are non existent. :evil

Anyhows, I like the mega syringe idea. Will keep an eye out for next time.

Re the oil pre-heat ... Good thinking !

This thread can now go to bed. Cheers, :freaky

Logan