Touratech Comfort Seats,

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by meatwagon1, Mar 11, 2014.

1. meatwagon1

meatwagon1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it has been spoken about before, I did a search but didn't find anything useful.

I have a BMW rally seat which on the pro side I like the added 1.5" height than the standard seat. Has a bit of a more dirt bike feel to it which is great when in the trails. But the cons are when riding highway miles it is very uncomfortable.

Have read threads on other seats but was curious if any one has input on the touratech seat. I would be interested in the high seat breathable version.

I know it is only .8" higher than standard, a little smaller than the 1.5" the rally has to offer, but i would love the added comfort if the touratech offers it.
  2. Angryrican

Angryrican Beer lover

Oddometer:
    I had the standard height breathable and it was definitely comfortable when seated for long periods of time but the cover is a bit abrasive making it hard to slide around on it if seated off road and trying to shift your weight a bit
  3. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    I know this doesn't answer your question directly.

Don't discount the Seatconcepts.com seat. I got the "tall" version and kept the height of the rally, but can now slab it for hours at a time, while still being able to stand in the rough stuff.

For the price, you can't beat it. This is my second seat, my previous XR650R had one, and it lasted a long time.
  4. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the touratech breathable standard seat and am completely satisfied with it for now. Haven't used it in super hot weather so don't know if I like the breath ability. But I slide around on it fine. I tried an airhawk, then the BMW comfort seat before getting the touratech from another inmate.

IMHO, the best thing about the touratech is the shape of the foam. Wider and more level than the stock seat.

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/beairmo/embed/slideshow/Touratech Seat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  5. BillACK

BillACK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the tall foam and cover from Seat Concepts too. While it's a HUGE improvement over the stock seat, for me, it's certainly not an all day seat. I'm thinking of having Rick Mayer build me a custom (next time he has a sale).
  6. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a Touratech seat and didn't like it. It was better than stock, but not by a lot. I bought a Sargent and am happy with it.

One I sat on that impressed me was a Baldwin. He custom makes them and is reasonable. Nice guy too.
  7. OrcasKen

OrcasKen Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went from the stock seat to a Renazco to a Touratech and now have a Seat Concepts kit sitting here waiting for me to retrofit a stocker with. I'm 185, 5'10, 32" inseam for reference. My experience:

• Stock=good for ~45 mins before wanting a break. With an Airhawk added, it's an all-day seat.
    • Renazco=good for ~30 mins. Lots of folks love their Renazco, just wasn't good for me.
    • Touratech standard non-breathable=good for ~2 hours, but the extra height isn't well suited for adding an Airhawk at my inseam.
    • Seat concepts=no experience, other than one on my KLX250--love it on there. With similar height to stock, I'm hoping for improvement, but expecting to use the Airhawk for distance rides.
    FWIW, the Airhawk is the best thing I've found for long-distance riding--used it on a trip to Alaska and never took it off for that trip. For me, it's not good for more active riding, but then again, my butt doesn't hurt on the short/active stuff when moving around constantly. Hope that helps.
  8. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    I would try it before committing. I was ready to buy based on all the reviews here, but after the Touratech salesman insisted I try it, I absolutely hated it in 5 minutes. I didn't like Corbin seats on other bikes either though. I find the best cure to a sore butt is riding more twisty and less highway.
  9. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the Touratech breathable as well as a seat concepts.

Touratech was a little taller and a little more comfortable than the stock seat.

Seat Concepts was definitely better than the stock seat but didn't make the difference I was hoping for. I loved it on my old DRZ though.

Now I'm back to a stock seat and for some reason this one seems so much better than the one that came with my bike. I used an airhawk with my stock seat in the past and still have it if I know I'm making an all day trip and not just commuting.
  10. Pinozul

Pinozul Miles to Go Before....

Oddometer:
    Can't directly comment on the Touratech although I was also considering it when I opted for the BMW Rallye seat. My F650 came with a BMW low seat which was very uncomfortable for me at 6'2". I considered the Touratech and BMW Rallye seats to get some more height; ended up with the Rallye mostly because I could buy it local in Denver.

Unfortunately, that was a $400 mistake. Like you, I like the extra height it added and it was great for trails and short rides but just too hard for long-distance, multi-day rides.

I ended up getting a new BMW comfort seat off Craigslist for $160 instead of over $400 retail. I just couldn't stomach paying retail again for a seat when I had no idea whether it would work. Really no way to know without riding them for hours. So far, I like the comfort seat quite a bit although I had to sacrifice the height that the Rallye seat provided.

If you aren't in a hurry, maybe Craigslist, eBay, or the ADV flea market would be worth considering. Last summer I saw at least three of the BMW comfort seats available on our local Craigslist. Didn't see any Touratech seats though. Since so many of us buy a seat, try it and then don't like it, there is some amount of turnover of essentially brand new seats.
  11. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    My path too, mainly pavement, but the Sargent is great, sole the TT breathable
  12. gleyfman

gleyfman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on a BMW Comfort seat.
    I can easily do few hours in it without a sore behind :D

13. puckinet

puckinet Safety third

Oddometer:
    Had the touratech seat and was very disappointed, for the money they want the seat was awful. Spend your money on a custom seat, less than the touratech and a better seat.