Blitzpro 3LR LED Pod Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by tslewisz, Sep 1, 2013.

1. tslewisz

tslewisz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd been thinking of adding some auxiliary lighting to my 2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure. I'd upgraded the dismal OEM lighting w/ HID's and I felt like a bit of redundancy and fill-in might be a good idea. Before the HID retrofit haters start in, let me say that the GS low-beam housing is perfectly suited to such a conversion. The cutoff is fantastic and the beam is very well focused so it will NOT blind oncoming drivers. Now, moving on...

When blitzpro.com introduced himself on a Jeep forum I contacted him and asked his opinion on mounting the 3LR's on the crashbars of my GS. He thought it was a great idea (surprise!) so I ordered up two. They'd been sitting on the bench quite a while and since I had a trip coming up, I decided to mount them up. They come with very high quality connectors on the wiring, which I promptly cut off. I simply extended the wires (solder and heat shrink), wired in a switch, and fed it power via a supplemental fuse block and 5A fuse, wired direct to the battery. I like simple. I fabbed up the mounting brackets with home store aluminum strapping.

The ride consisted of the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail (T.W.A.T), a bit of the Upper Peninsula AdventureTrail (U.P.A.T.), and some Rails to Trails. Over the course of the week, I covered nearly 2000 miles of road, gravel, sand, whoops (great fun on a 650 pound bike - NOT), washboard, and one muddy tipover. Basically, about anything you can think of. Other than hitting a tree, I can't imagine a tougher test for them. The lights held up GREAT. I'm very pleased with them. Here's a couple of pics after I got back. They're off, but they're too damned bright for someone with my meager photog skills to get a decent picture.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aforementioned tipover on a WI ATV trail.
    [​IMG]

Cheers, Scott