The Suzuki PE thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by sidetrack one, Jan 18, 2013.

1. URNUTS

URNUTS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL! Looks awesome, Ara.
    Has a great mint/rider feel to it. There's a fine line to doing it and stopping just before the "I'll never ride it" point.
    Really, really nice job.
    My jug is on and will put the head on tonight- picked up some new nuts for the head and reed cage.
    I've specifically not done anything (else) until I know the thing won't explode on the first kick, which I fear it will due to a mistake I made somewhere.
    I'll put the new petcock in tonight, too, as I'll need that working..... god willing.
    Pray for me.
  2. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, buddy. I am sure your motor will be just fine, and kick ass. I definitely don't have the knowledge to tackle the motor like you're doing. I had to un-bind the rear brake cable today (soaked it with WD40), and worked the dirt or whatever was inside the cable loose. It's now working like brand new. The pads, however, are still the originals but seem to be working ok...for now. All that's left is to connect the new kill switch I had to buy, and clean/rewire the headlight and brake light. Hopefully the Lectron carb will work like I think it will...and if not, I will have to rebuild the original and be forced to mess with the jetting.
  3. URNUTS

URNUTS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://s206.photobucket.com/user/cmeal/library/bikes?sort=3&page=1

Worked on the tank at work this am.
    Tank was in nice shape, though pretty faded when I took the decals off.
    I ended up with a full piece that covers the whole side- super thick and perforated- so that meant that the fading was less of an issue, as I was covering the whole side.
    Panel wraps up onto the top of the tank.
    Motor is back together- I just don't have the balls to try to start it. Seriously.
    Will get the new petcock on tonight, get the tank and carb on and...... just stare at it because I still won't have the sack!
  4. URNUTS

URNUTS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike is all back together and I have to say.... looks really good. Much like Toro, I painted NOTHING (he did the frame), so the bike has a bit of wear to the cases, frame, etc but I'm good with that.
    No spark, though, and (I believe) we traced it back to a nick we put in the coil taking the flywheel off.
    Thought it was just a tiny nick but upon closer inspection noticed that we really got into the wires. :( New coil ordered and hopefully here soon.
    Had to pull the tank, seat, stator cover, etc off so no pics until all back.. again. Plug cap was crappy, too, (though not the problem as I had hoped) so a new one of them goes on, too.
  5. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:

Congrat, Jon. My PE is now alive and running...started her up yesterday. Third kick on the Lectron carb, but was pig rich on the bottom end and waytoo lean upstairs. But the Lectron is so easy to tune...pulled the slide out and went lean on th needle, and added a turn on the top end circuit...better....then a little more lean on needle....perfect, and starts first or second kick everytime.
    The front wheel I bought on Ebay has 2 bad flat spots which I had not noticed untill I went for a small ride, so need to address that issue and she'll be as good as she was back in 1980. The front wheel and the carb are the only 2 items not original on the bike. I have the original carb but definitely staying with the Lectron.
  6. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Other than sending one of the two oem wheels to Woody's Wheels to rebuild if possible (they have built some awesome Excel A60 rims for my BMW F800GS, and my WR165 2T), what other aftermarket off the shelf options are out there for my 1980 PE400? I don't want to take another chance buying off ebay....the one I bought has two bad flat spots. And the original rim has a crack.

Thanks in advance
  7. URNUTS

URNUTS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and take it, Ara; Send them to Woody.
    The only other thing I can think of is one of the bike boneyards where you may have better luck verifying the condition of the wheels prior to purchase?
  8. URNUTS

URNUTS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back to my issues! :)
    The difficulty of identifying the part I need..... getting the right PN, and then trying to find the part is beyond belief. What a PITA!
    BikeBandit emailed me and said that one of the coils- apparently the Pulser (the one I need) is no longer available.
    I did manage to find the last one (apparently) in the US at a Suzuki dealer in Utah- been on their shelf for 30+ years.
    It's on the way, as is the other coil from BB, which I may/may not need. KILL ME, please!

http://s206.photobucket.com/user/cmeal/media/bikes/HParty002_zps02932570.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I believe I'll have the right parts when the boxes get here. If the damaged front (pulser coil, I believe) is not what I end up with, I will have it re-wound.
  9. URNUTS

URNUTS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    arrived and, amazingly enough, I received the correct parts.
    Hope to get this thing running!
  10. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice. Mine has been parked on the stand since I got her running 2 weeks ago, so still have to take her out for a good ride, but after I replace the bent front wheel.
  11. Kevin K

Kevin K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You did an amazing job Frank
    I'm real sure you shocks are mounted upside down.
    And they won't damp correctly. And lesser reason is there us more unsprung weight
    I have never seen those shocks. They look really nice.what are they?
  12. URNUTS

URNUTS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen shocks like that but they do look upside down.
    I don't really know enough about that, I guess.
    Very nice.
  13. URNUTS

URNUTS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://s206.photobucket.com/user/cmeal/library/bikes?sort=3&page=1

Not done so I didn't want to post any pics but- here's where I am at.
    Friend is coming over tonight and we will install the new coils in the 400.
    Parts just got here so that bike has been at a standstill.
    You can see the new coils on the floor by the 400.
    I put those Cycra shields on both bikes- kind of kills that retro feel but I like them- easily removable, too, and they are mounted on vintage barkbusters that actually came on the bikes. Found the yellow shields on-line for next to nothing.
    Been tinkering with the 175 while the 400 has become a tool stand- finally got the old barkbusters mounted on new bars, shorty levers installed, etc. Seems like a struggle to get old and new parts to mesh in many ways. You can't use new bars because the bolt-on crossbars interfere with the way the old barkbusters mount. Ended up going back to retro steel (oem type) bars which look better, anyway.
    Still need to get the 175 outside for a good degreasing.
    Bunch of parts on their way from the UK so hopefully will make some progress in the next week or two... or 10.
    In one pic you can see my funny attempt to make my version of the enduro tool that I'm NOT paying $100 bucks for!!
  14. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:

Looking good. I really like the tank decal. I replaced my decals with OEM style, but the right side is not sticking well....maybe did not clean it well enough before applying the sticker.

You're going with an aftermarket silencer?
  15. URNUTS

URNUTS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. The Flyin Hawaiian

The Flyin Hawaiian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heres my 81 PE400 I bought from Urnuts a while ago.

[​IMG]

My all original survivor 80 PE400

[​IMG]
    rhino_adv likes this.
  17. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
  18. zetabird

zetabird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks like i have a no spark condition on my 78 damn things gonna be the death of me lol, so anyone got pointers on how to test the cdi box and magneto? i dont know crap about these bikes but really wanna get it up and runnin correctly i just ordered crank seals for it
  19. zetabird

zetabird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    oh and i almost forgot i need a kickstart lever aswell or really just the pivot part that clamps to the splined shaft mines really messed up anyone have a spare?
  20. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lent my bike to a friend,went on holidays for two weeks, go to see him
    and he reckoned it had a noise in it!:eek1 So its been reduced to this:deal No worries, I was planning on a rebuild anyway. All bits available, although I was told that I got the last gasket kit in Australia!:evil so I'd better not have to pull it apart again:lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]