Talk to me about the Klim Overland...

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by rally roo, Feb 19, 2013.

1. easy_rider_77

easy_rider_77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same question. Do the vents let in enough air to be bearable on hot summer days?
  2. Mr.Dabalina

Mr.Dabalina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If this jacket had a chest vent it would be the only jacket necessary. The side vents do vent if it is positioned just right but I can only find that about 10% of the time. It's not cool on a 85 degree day at speed, but its not hot either. Now if I was pushing hard offroad and getting the heart rate up it might get hot. Stop lights in 85 is pretty hot but most jackets are. I have found if I can unzip the main zipper 4 or 5 inches and get the collar right I could probably wear this jacket in low humidity 90 degree days. My plan though is to get a mesh jacket for the humid, dead of summer type days. I'm sure I could stand it at speed but I think it would be worth it. So IMO I would think this jacket would work for about nine or ten months out of the year in humid southern Indiana. And those other months I could probably wear it comfortably in the morning or late evening. Tested the water proofing for about two hours in a pretty descent rain and my top was dry as a bone. My legs and feet were completely soaked through(I don't have the matching pants). Hope this helps.
  3. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone bought the Overland Jacket and pants yet? Wondering if the jacket and pants zip together? Didn't see them talk about it on any reviews. This set looks promising if it does..
  4. prime

prime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No they dont. I have the jacket and traverse pant. No zipper or anything like that on the jacket.
  5. UberKul

UberKul UberNoob

Oddometer:
    Nor the pant.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  6. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    So for those of you that have purchased the Overland Jacket and pants how do you like them? Do they fit true to size? (Street Clothes). Would you buy again or upgrade to the Latitude or Badlands? Any real world opinions would be great...
  7. UberKul

UberKul UberNoob

Oddometer:
    I'm a little broken up right now so the gear sits hanging in the closet untested.:(:
    I would say the jacket fits a little big. I went with large when I usually go XL due to long torso and arms. The pant fit seems true to civies. Layering with long undies and medium weight fleece still gives plenty of movement without being too tight or loose. If you use puffy insulation you might want to go true to size on the jacket. The quality seems top notch and I wouldn't consider an upgrade unless I were doing a mutli-season run where I expected some warm weather. Bought this for a summer Alaska trip with mild temps and lots of water.
  8. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    As some others have asked on here but we haven't heard a reply from anyone that owns the gear and has used it yet how does it work in "HOT" weather. This would be my summer gear also. It's currently 110 degrees here in St. George and while I understand that no gear is comfortable in this heat I can still wear my Rev'it Cayenne with no liners and it flows enough air to not make me to uncomfortable. How does this Klim gear vent? Is it sufficient. I guess I am trying to justify this gear over cost and not having to jump up into the Latitude line. Or should I just pony up and buy the latitude. Or even the badlands.
  9. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    My question is whether or not it has the same weird back hump as the traverse that makes you look like you shit your pants because of the back pad? (I know the hump is for covering a fanny pack, but it feels terrible).
  10. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
    Judging by the video review at Revzilla, it doesn't look like it has too much of this "bulge" on their tester.
  11. BCJC

BCJC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm a slim 6' 175lbs, tried on the traverse M, and of course the sleeves were too short in a riding position. Now have the overland in a L, and the sleeve lengths is perfect, but the body of the jacket is way baggier than i would like. Definitely not "skinny little euro boy" sizing...

Not alot of faith that the elbow armour will stay put, and those dinky velcro straps are just for looks, cause they ain't gonna hold anything down under stress.

The heft and feel of the jacket is nice, fairly burly. Neck closure keeps wind out well, vents do ok, but i don't live in a hot weather zone.

As mentioned, the sleeve cuffs are tough to get over gauntlet gloves. I have Held Air n Dry's, and its a pita if you are doing town stuff, and having to put on/off often.

Overall, if the jacket is truly waterproof, and will keep some road rash away, i'll be happy. But, it's not quite the magic bullet jacket at $430. imo.
  12. Roux-80

Roux-80 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really like the overland jaclet/pants combo. I'm 5.11, 215 lbs, jacket XL and pants 38 for me. We ride in low temps here in the falls, like 41°F so I need some room under the jacket and pant to put some good "winter" mid layer when I need it.

It does not look good as the Latitude, but it 400$ less here in Canada for the set and it do the job very well. It's my first klim and I don't regret it.
  13. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Have you looked at the Olympia AST and XMoto, both are better IMO. Icon does not vent or fit well. Klim as very little abrasion protection due to lightweight material and loose box cut.
  14. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    Has anyone used the Overland pants with full mx boots? I wear SG-12's and wondered if the pants would get over them.

Thanks.
  15. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    Thanks for the info. My legs are not very big, so it sounds like it would work.
  16. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    The armor is perfectly-sized for my frame. The size M jacket fits me perfectly at 6' even, 150 lbs: arm length, torso length and torso width are all spot on. I can ride with just a jersey, a jersey plus wool or insulating layer or a jersey plus pressure suit. For my trip I use the integrated armor, not a pressure suit.

I just lived in the Overland jacket for 3+ weeks. I give it 9 of 10 stars and look forward to using it for a long time. Water-resistance was better than expected while riding through high mountain monsoons.

A few small complaints:
    - Water-resistant zippers on the pockets are very sticky and don't seem to be getting less sticky: in particular the breast-pocket can't be opened with one hand while sitting on the bike in the gear. The lower hand pockets also tend to eat the pocket liner, requiring you to take off the jacket and use two hands and a foot to open the zipper.
    - Cooling was adequate to 90 degrees and dry (I was in the desert); I think a great 2.0 version would include bicep-area zippered vents.

pic after hard use:
    http://instagram.com/p/cUNgMni4cV/
  17. atomizer

atomizer Be here now Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'4 and 195 lbs. Pretty darn tall and skinny. I had ordered the Traverse in an XL and it was massive on me. They were out of LG Traverses so I ordered a LG Overland (didn't need the pads, but only option I had).
    It just showed up and fits great. Just long enough in the arms and not as baggy around the waist and chest area as the XL Traverse.
    The pads feel fine and I'll use them when I'm just riding around town and for small trips.
    I took the pads out to see how my pressure suit would fit as I will be using that under the jacket most of the time.
    Fit great, even better than the jacket with pads.
    I'm leaving on a 3 week Western TAT trip soon and I'll chime back in with a full review when I get back.
    Big thanks to Atomic Moto for being very knowledgeable on the phone when I was asking a zillion questions. :freakyA
  18. tcall52

tcall52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently picked up a new Klim Overland jacket. Haven't worn it yet (too damn hot here in S GA), but was disappointed by how thin the D30 T5 EVO XT shoulder and elbow pads are. Since I really like the jacket, I picked up the 'PRO' version of the above pads. They are considerably thicker (maybe 50%?). Problem solved.

I use a Firstgear mesh jacket in the summer, so I have no intention of wearing the Overland until things cool off a bit. I can't tolerate summer heat in any non-mesh gear. But I really like the look and feel of the Overland. I had narrowed it down between the Overland or the Latitude. Since what I really want is a well-made, waterproof shell-type jacket with decent crash padding, and the biggest difference between the 2 seems to be simply that the Latitude has more pockets, I went with the Overland. Only time will tell if this pans out. If not, I still have the Darien. I usually wear a size L, but with the Klim I had to go with an XL. I am 6' tall and weigh 215.
  19. tcall52

tcall52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's one of many vendors for the D3O pads:

http://www.klim.com/Motorcycle/D3O-Replacement-Shoulder-Pads-T5-Evo-Pro-Xt-Set-Of-2.html

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16823579

I have upgraded the elbow and shoulder pads on the Overland, and will probably also get the PRO back protector as well.
  20. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    The old pads (st-standard temp) used to be certified ce level 2 to the newer version of en1621 in both hot and cold temperatures but they had this issue with stress cracking in the cold.

The new ones (xt) Are more flexible, but are rated to level 2 in the cold and level 1 in the hot.

Since cracked armor provides none, it's best to use the xt in the cold.