Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you leave Real de 14 don't backtrack to Matehuala, rather take the road (Mex 63) which goes down to San Luis P. Its interesting and Mex 57 is not.
  2. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Trice, I forgot to mention that the headcovering is a doo- rag with flames and skulls on it and I clench the knife between my teeth when I go into a Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville franchise bar. I then clench my loins with the thought of paying a bar tab in one.
    $24 for 2 drinks, a la chingada...!
  3. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Goonie,

Bienvenidos! Trice has it right.

One thing I might change however is when you cross into Mexico. If you have your paperwork already done in advance and are lodging at the border the night before you cross, then I would cross at Laredo and not Colombia. Coming out I would cross back into the US at Colombia, but going in I cross at the Laredos. There is no line waiting to get in, and if you get your tourist card the evening before and have your TVIP mailed to you, then you just ride on through in the morning.

Here's the process I use.

1. TVIP in advance via internet.
    2. Day ride from Houston to Laredo. Check in at La Posada hotel (recommended by Trice).
    3. Walk across the bridge into Nuevo Laredo, get the tourist card at the end of the bridge and walk directly back to the US. This is the bridge that is to the right of the hotel as you are looking at Mexico and there is never a queue there for the tourist card. They will not issue you a TVIP from this bridge but will send you to the other bridge. So this only applies if you did the TVIP in advance.
    4. Have a steak at the steakhouse next door to La Posada when you walk back across the bridge. Nice bar and you can smoke a cigar on the patio.
    5. At dawn ride into Nuevo Laredo over the bridge that is to the left of the hotel as you are looking at Mexico.
    6. Once you cross that bridge you make one left turn and one right turn and then you are on the highway loop that will take you to Monterrey. Other than the left and right turn you completely bypass Nuevo Laredo via the highway loop. There is no queue to cross in.
    7. On the return I cross at Colombia to avoid any queues.

However, if you are not staying at the border but are staying in Austin or San Antonio, etc., then I would cross in at Colombia. You can do the tourist card and the TVIP there without a queue.

For Saltillo I always recommend El Morrillo. It is on the south side of town. This means when you check out in the morning you are already on the south side of town and won't have to find your way through the city to catch the south bound highways 54/57. After you check into El Morrillo, if you feel like going into town just call a taxi. Good restaurant in town called El Tapanco and it's safe to walk around the center of town. Same family that owns El Morrillo owns the restaurant. Nice bar in the restaurant, you can smoke a cigar on the patio. There's also an Irish pub next door (the Irish are everywhere when it comes to drinking).

Mike
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    I had a spare final drive and seal, plus the knowledge to replace it, but the bearing would not fit in the location for the Halls Sensor! :rofl A used unit from the US and about two weeks to get it wired up correctly and all is well! :D
  5. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few inches of chain and a couple of master links I always say :D
  6. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    Careful on those cobblestones to Real de Catorce. A truck blew coolant antifreeze onto the road maybe 2-3 or 4 KM before the tunnel entrance. Might stay greasy until the rain washes it off.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We brought a spare clutch cable to be on the "safe" side[​IMG]
  7. bingo43

bingo43 ¡Que Viva!

Oddometer:
    Casote is an even bigger upgrade. Your house is amazing
  8. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    That's some great info Mike. Really appreciate it. Dumb question, is the tourist card and TVIP the same thing? Couldn't figure out what TVIP stood for.
  9. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Transitory Very Important Person
  10. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Just a quiet corner of the suburbs

[​IMG]
  11. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    TVIP = Temporary Vehicle Import Permit. It's what lets you bring the motorcycle in. The tourist card is what lets you come in.
  12. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weazy Buddha: It was "Flight of the Whooping Crane" National Geographic Special aired in 1984. Should be available at any good video store that has good documentary section or directly from NGS, maybe even Netflix, I have never checked.
  13. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think of it this way: You are importing two things.

1. Your person
    2. Your motorcycle.
  14. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    :thumb Cool, I'll look into that and some of your others; sound interesting.
  15. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
  16. raceu2

raceu2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    short verision
    Looked on line to get TVIP, need to fill out forms, need PRE APROVED VISA to get TVIP and then fax or mail copy of title and passport WAIT 7 DAYS TO GET STICKER.
    Decided to go to Mexican consulate in Sacramento (100 miles) to avoide the fax email etc. and get it all done right there. Sneek away from work, drive down to Sac Get a number they give me a book all in spanish (ok) we are second in line, going good.
    The clerk tells use we need to go online get a PREAPROVED VISA PRINTED COPY TO GET THE TVIP. You can;t do that here?
    No you have to get done before you come, BUT you can go down to XYZ copy and they will do it for $8. :deal we drive down 3 miles get the copy come back give her the printout we get the TVIP all is good right? They tell me its $400 dollars charge my card for thousands of pesos I don;t calc. turns out to be $462, shame on me. Nowshe needs a copy of of my passport and title. While waiting I happen to notice that there is a copy windowwith a fairly long line.Got you! I have copies read it on ADV!, gave her the copies. I check to see that the vin is correct it is all is cool.
    Peel off the sticker tonight put it on the windshield looking and admiring my acomplshment, thats when i notice that it is only for 60 days not 6 months F)(*)(*)(. Call my buddy, his is the same :roflwe can't get out of CA. without a problem. All I can do is hope they will fix it with out my credit card because i'm not going for credit and recharge:nono. If thats the case I'll deal with it on the road. Moral of the story? Check EVERYTHING:deal even if you are still in the USA on Mexican territory AND BRING COPIES. saw it onADV.
    Its just a fire drill for things to come on the way to Panama nothing that another cerveza can't fix:freaky.
  17. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has been laid out here in such tiresome detail so many times. This stuff is not rocket science, you don't need to speak Spanish to do it, Banjercito has a phone # you can call at which there is english speaking assistance, I posted that number a few pages back, I am in Chile now and do not have it at my fingertips. This is so simple to do at the border that I really don't understand why people put themselves through the hassle at home. The TVIP runs congruently with and co-terminates with the tourist visa. The first thing you do at the border is to get the tourist visa and ask for 180 days because you plan to be traveling in Mexico for 180 days, say nothing more. With your fresh new visa in hand you go to the Banjercito counter or office and ask for your TVIP, you do not need to show the title, only the valid registration card. All of your paperwork: passport, vehicle registration, and credit card must have the same name on it. If your passport says John Paul Jones then your registration and credit card must say John Paul Jones, not John P Jones or you will have some 'splainin to do. Yes, for the umpeenth and forty two time, they charge your credit card... what they charge seems to be based on the value of the vehicle.... it is nearly $400 or more, it is refundable if you pay attention and close the TVIP when you leave Mexico. If you don't close the TVIP you don't get your money back and you can never bring another vehicle into Mexico as long as that TVIP is open, and you are fined for having an open TVIP after it and your tourist visa have expired. If all of your paperwork is in order you should have no trouble at the border. Why lay on an extra layer of bureaucracy at a consular office in the US. Yeah sure, it is possible to do it on line but it does take more time and things can go back and forth.
  18. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Out comes the ass whoopin' crane! :rofl
  19. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    I was still Googling Transitory Very Important Person :lol3
  20. Tricepilot

Oddometer: