The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    You said it, not me. :D
  2. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It'll get blue if you let it idle for a few minutes. My Rallye was just chrome until it idled for 3 or 4 minutes then it got blue up at the heads.
  3. HalB

HalB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did a test ride on the new watercooled 1200GS. What everyone says, awesome, game changer bike. I ride a 2011 MTS and the beemer made me drool!!

this is a long thread, so apologies if this conversation has already occurred and I missed it

HOWEVER

As we all know Kevin Ash died in S. Africa test riding this bike on a straight stretch of dirt road. I read Bike magazine's report on the bike, that the reviewer had a serious tankslapper riding the bike and that 2 other reporters also had a problem. Because of these instability problems, Bike would not give it 5 stars. I don't want to cast dispersion on BMW, but it is hard not to suspect that the crash that killed Ash might be related to a serious fault with the bike.

If there are any answers or explanations, it would be good to have it out in the open. OR are we waiting for a lawsuit?

Other published comments on this issue:

BMW have tried to replicate the incidents but deny finding anything wrong with the bikes in thousands of miles of testing.

Read the following test rides, here is what Kevin Duke from Motorcycle.com wrote in his report http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/2013-bmw-r1200gs-review-91507.html
    "However, the GS did disappoint me during a casual ride down an open dirt road. I was standing up to get cool air through my riding gear, traveling about 45 mph, when I encountered a washboard section. In an instant and with seemingly no provocation, the bike went into a wild tankslapper that threatened to throw me from the bike. It was a very panicked second before the steering regained its composure.

We can’t yet say for certain this is a problem with the bike, but another journalist reported a similar experience when he was riding while standing. This is quite unexpected considering the chassis geometry is essentially unchanged from the previous model, plus there were no stability issues whatsoever during high-speed road riding. I wonder if perhaps the Dynamic ESA allowed the front suspension to pack down over the washboard surface, reducing its rake and trail to less stable geometry. Or perhaps the GS will end up with a steering damper when deliveries begin in March of this year."

and another one from COSTA MOUZOURIS of Canada Motoguide.com http://canadamotoguide.com/2013/01/28/launch-bmw-r1200gs/
    "The only hiccup in the bike’s handling is a possible tendency to shake its head while standing on the footpegs over rough terrain. On a couple of occasions while standing, hitting a succession of sharp bumps causes the fork to shake just a bit. It isn’t alarming; it’s just that I don’t remember the old bike having any tendency to do this. A couple of the U.S. journos also noted this."

In the meantime BMW issued two recalls one for oil pressure where transmission oil exceeding the specified limits and this could lead to the output shaft sealing ring to leak.http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2013-bmw-r1200gs-recalled-for-oil-pressure-issue-54935.html
    the other is the Automatic Stability Control (ASC) system may not reactivate following off-road use in the “Enduro-Pro” mode. As the ASC warning lamp is no longer illuminated, the rider may be unaware that the system is still currently deactivated. This could result in a crash causing property damage and/or personal injury.
    http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search/recalldetail.aspx?lang=eng&rn=2013060

In the meantime, I will keep my Multistrada and wait for a 2014 model before consideration.
  4. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The latest issue of BIKE magazine has a very extensive test of the new GS. They spent a lot of time and effort trying to induce a tank slapper and were unable to do it. I do not know why there were problems in South Africa and then later no problems.
  5. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much. That is right on a par with my 2010 Multistrada 1200, and is exactly what I wanted to know (and expected).

--Doc
  6. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really? Give it a rest already. This has been beaten to death. NOTHING has been released stating the bike was the cause of the accident. NOTHING. Its very possible it could have been rider error. Gasp.

As for the instability, there are boat loads of bikes out there now. Nobody is complaining about it. Nobody is even mentioning it. Could it have possibly been a few riders at the press launch riding way over their heads putting the bikes in very specific situations where it could happen? Gasp again. Press launches are known for guys riding ridiculous paces way over their abilities. They are known for dumb things happening. Also, EVERY bike ever made can get headshake in the right situation.

Go climb in your bubble where youll be safe and stop trolling, jackass.
  7. NLS

Oddometer:
    As you admited you haven't read this huge thread. This has been beaten to death.

Whether this was a problem and got fixed, or it never was a problem (can give you a number of explanations - given by experts, not me), newer reports (magazine or every-day riders) haven't mentioned about it again.

Actually exactly because of the early reports (and Kevin's death) MANY have tried to explicitly force this behavior. Failed (at least those that posted here). Some have quite a few thousand miles on GSW already (apparently didn't buy it for Starbucks only).

About Kevin. Apparently his family didn't say anything against BMW. We haven't heard of any legal issues between them and BMW (that, would never stay hidden). There was no public official report that I know of (by BMW, S.A. police or 3rd party that specialize in these things) that blames the bike. There IS a single comment from BMW official during an interview, that the investigation did finish and didn't find anything about the bike being at fault. Yes this "politely" hints that it might have been user error.
    Actually about the accident itself there are quite a few (even contradicting reports). It may have not even been Kevin's fault but someone else's. One witness (?) report says that front rider fell, then Kevin struck him. Other says that Kevin did fall, didn't get any serious injury but next rider hit him.
    You do know that in many all (and I can tell you, in almost all that involve off-road) journalist launches someone falls (98% without issue). Kevin himself has dropped before. It's not that he was a bad rider, everybody that rides (let alone for a living) knows that falling IS inevitable.

In any case, everybody has to make his own excuse (I don't say valid or not) to justify against a major expense. Nothing wrong with that. ;)
    You have a bike with strong character, be happy with it.

BTW this is one of my fav. videos (repost but never wears down)...
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MImBGeTJ7OI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. HalB

HalB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NLS: Thank you for your informative and courteous update. this is new to me and I have been searching for more information on the subject since riding the bike and reading the latest Bike magazine article. Your response is very helpful in clarifying the matter. Although I may "live in a bubble" not all of us receive all news as it is posted.

I believe the purpose of these forums is to share information, and even though a subject may have been "beaten to death", I see no need to receive insulting and rude responses as from oz97tj.
  9. NLS

Oddometer:
    As it is normal to make excuses to not make a huge expense (or to justify a bad decision sometimes), it is also normal (or better, "human") to get in defense mode when someone "attacks" (although your point was not to actually attack) something that someone else likes.

Did you like the video?
    It was full of "front end vibrations" wasn't it? :D
    None seemed weird to me though. Pretty normal wouldn't you say?
    I think people that ride on dirt (esp. professionally) will tell you that steering dumpers are like the norm. So... maybe some people pushed the bike (because this bike wants you to push it) a bit more than their confidence level.
  10. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:

oz97tj is probably just a bit grumpy as he had a new engine installed in his LC due to some type of starter clutch failure.
  11. Racegun

Racegun Single Track Mind!

Oddometer:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conquistadors

I Don't know how many know this, but the R1100 & R1150GS's are already known as the "Conquistadors" by several of the popular bike magazines of the day. I remember distinctly Mark Tuttle ( i think that was his name) of Rider saying that the R1100GS has no peer in crossing continents. That the R1100GS is a true "Conquistadors". No reason for that to change, Just because an engine is water cooled and fancy electronics are added. Exact opposite, the complexity of the WGS, means it is more vulnerable. Will it break, who knows. ( how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop ?) But I am willing to bet that when they get to be 20 + years old, the new WGS will not be as reliable or as trustworthy as its progenitors! Simpler is always more reliable. To be a world ruler, I would think that you would want your ride to not break down if you are being chased by the "Mongol hordes"

with that said the WGS is a fun bike. It will take a dealer to support the electronics. We won't know for another 20 years if it is any better than previous models. To rule the earth, I am thinking that Gaston Rahier bike is the true Ruler!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaston_Rahier
  12. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm I thought this or at least part of it had been put to bed. Maybe the thread I read on ukgser was bull don't know but. Kevin was killed because of a collision with another bike. The bike journalist that had the huge tank slapper was riding hands free on cruise control while standing up I.E being a total twat and it should never have been published. I will try and locate the thread and link to it later so you can all decide for yourself if it's bull or not but it explains a few things to my mind why nobody outside the SA tests have managed to replicate a lock snapping slapper.
  13. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe I was a bit grumpy at the time of response and maybe I was a little harsh. Frankly I took the post as more trolling which is irritating and pointless. If you truky werr asking an honest question I apologize.

With that said, I stand by my statement about their being tons of bikes out there with no issues that would indicate it being a death machine any more than any other bike ever made.
  14. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:

That's OK, I'm a bit grumpy because I'm not able to get new LC right now.:deal

Here's to yours going over 100K miles like my 2007:1drink
  15. NLS

Oddometer:
    I am curious, please do find those posts.
  16. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. Hambonee

Hambonee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a test ride g this bike scheduled sat and all ready pre-approved on it. Only bump if I like it will be my trade in which I have a couple K equity in according to bluebook.

Afraid I am really gonna like this thing..cripes!

Newbie question though..I really dont care about the options other than the dang LED headlight(I liek seeign at night..go figure)...

Do I have to buy all the farkles to get it or is someone aware of a dealership doing that seperate from a 2K option package?

Fudge I am scared of Saturday:lol3
  18. nwpa

nwpa Generally amused

Oddometer:
    LCD is part of a package. Probably intentional to drive people to the package versus standalone.
  19. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the only thing you want is the LED for brightness and none of the other options, you can buy some pretty amazing aux lights for far.
  20. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Aux maybe but not really when you consider on-road suitability (DOT), no for main LED low-beam. I'd go with the full LED package, it's only money :D