The BEST Continental Divide ride report EVER!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NCD, Aug 31, 2011.

1. dogmoon

dogmoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im gonna watch this.:clap
  2. Dave Bell

Dave Bell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm stealing some of your pictures to make my ride report look better. Thanks, dude. Hope I remember to give you credit, but I probably won't.
  3. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yo .... don't quote entire posts with all of the pictures! That's a nOOb move. And, no you may not use my pictures, take your own. Now I'm going to have to make fun of Texas because of you.
  4. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too easy, but yell if you need any help. Fun report by the way. Please continue:clap
  5. pinocono

pinocono Fucking Pirate

Oddometer:
    Hey! I love Texas! Texas would be perfect if it weren't for all the f*cking Texans!
  6. odendaal56

odendaal56 n00b

Oddometer:
    :nortonthink u should stop by in africa to realy appreciate the f word , u live in overdeveloped world-hope to see u on this continent too:pierce
  7. MaxEpr

MaxEpr where'd who go???

Oddometer:
    I'm a worshiper at the Cannonshot alter and made the "journey to meca following his trax" Sign me up this thread looks interesting. Is your BMW jacket actually lined with whale foreskin or is that a myth? :D
  8. NCD

Oddometer:
    Not a myth. That's true. In fact, the whale foreskin was actually taken from my own penis.
  9. NCD

Oddometer:
    Day 5
    Seeley Lake to Wise River, MT
    275 Miles

After waking up and sighing with relief at not getting eaten by bears, I noticed it was cold. Real frigging cold:

[​IMG]

The roads today varied from flat out haulin' ass gravel domination, to slow 1st gear crawls over some pretty beat up routes. A local confirmed that the roads are bad in spots this year, due to the extra heavy snowfall and subsequent melt and flooding runoff. But bad in ADV terms means good, and the rough sections were a blast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That said, you notice how there are never pics of the rough stuff? It's cause they creep up on you, and you are too busy keeping piggy upright.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rode on and off today with a married couple from Ontario, and we exchanged some short conversations surrounding the trail. We were all having a blast. Although there was one section that I was cooking along just fine until a rock shot into my helmet near my ear (had my shield up with sunglasses on.) Damn that hurt. Damn, that REALLY hurts. Fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkk thats a bee stinging the beejeezus out of my right ear!!!!!! That said, there were a LOT of bees along the route for some reason. If you are allergic, I would suggest that you bring those pen things or whatever you weaklings use. Actually, if a bee can take you out, there is no way you are manly enough for this ride. Stay home. I just happen to be genetically perfect, and take my place right on top of the food chain were I belong. Bees schmees.

[​IMG]

For you city folks: This is what a cheeseburger looks like before it hatches:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later in the day, I came across these 3 guys from B.C. (the Canadian province, not the time period you dummy.)

[​IMG]

Talk about desperate measures. They were zip-tying the right footpeg back on the bike. Zip tie + footpeg = not a long term solution. I hope all worked out for the best, as I don't think we were too far from real help and tools at this point on the trail:

[​IMG]

Mile after mile today of blissful, scenery rich, traffic free riding. You should try it someday soon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

North of Butte, you pass old decaying structures from money making days long forgotten. Very cool stuff:

[​IMG]

Also north of Butte, you get to rock the old frontage road/railroad bed, while all the schleps in cars are stuck on I15:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After heading south from Wise River, stop at Little Joe Campground. Only 5 sites, alongside a burbling creek and river. Peaceful.

[​IMG]

Except for one thing. There was only one other camper in the campground, and he was a very nice ex-government type, and we chatted it up a bit abould all sorts of different topics. He had been coming to this area for over 30 years, and assured me that there would be no bear problems tonight. He thought it was all just hype. But then he proceeded to tell me how he had himself shot and killed 2 of the oldest bears in Montana because of the harm they were causing. Ummm, I thought the bears weren't a problem? He reassured me about the bears. I would be fine tonight. "Its the wolves that kill stuff. Oh, and really watch out for the rattlesnakes. They are everywhere." Damn you! (Did I mention yet that this is a solo ride - as in by myself?)

Disclaimer: I meant no offense to people with allergies. I'm sure that allergies make life a bitch for you. You should kick your parents for giving you bad genes. I will wait here a minute while you go do that...............) But really, there were a lot of bees when I stopped, so be (bee) prepared if you need to.

Almost forgot. At one of my gas stops, there were retro-looking signs for sale, with snarky sayings on them. I found them delightful. Here's one:

[​IMG]
  10. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    You sir, are Hilarious! :rofl

love the pictures, love the comments.
  11. HalfFast

HalfFast Double Secret Pit Ninja

Oddometer:
    lol, I actually snorted my Monster on this one! That hurt! oh and subscribed. :lurk
  12. caretaker

caretaker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hooked and waiting:evil
  13. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    You suck!
    Well, then again, maybe not. I was about to start writing up my own CDT ride report (plus some stuff in the Bitteroot mountains), but now I don't feel like it anymore. Rode it a couple of weeks form Steamboat Springs (Colorado) to that dangerous border shared with our North American "Aboot" brothers and sisters.

I would have probably called it the north american micro-brew discovery tour -- so many beers, so little time. :slurp
  14. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:

+ 1 :lol3:lol3:lol3
  15. NCD

Oddometer:
    I suck? You suck for not doing a ride report!
  16. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    Ok, now that we have the introductions out of the way, will you get on with it please.
    Looking forward to it.
  17. MaxEpr

MaxEpr where'd who go???

Oddometer:
    Totally can relate to the bee issue. Riding with the Killamanjaro open (our Outside Air Temperatures were higher because we left at the perfect time to go through New Mexico during the monsoon) I had a bee strike X3. Hit the chest just inside the left nipple. again above the belli button then the left love handle. I pulled over and stripped off the helmet, jacket and shook the offender out and my faithful friend looked at me like .... I don't see anything. I saw the beestard and crushed his little stinging a$$. It's amazing something 5/54ths of an inch ( a couple milimeters for the Canadians) can hurt a hee man like me. I would have used my foreskin to line the Kilamanjaro but I couldn't find anything that could cut it. I'm savig all my diamonds to by a KTM990.

Keep up the great report! I hope it's still raining when you get to the calitche. Now that would be some "Funny $hit" for the map.
  18. NCD

Oddometer:
    Kinda busy this weekend, but here's this to tide ya over:

[​IMG]
  19. chelo5sur

chelo5sur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, from Chile (southamerica) subscribed and following you ....:ricky
  20. dancogan

dancogan n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm allergic to bees so I'll have to live vicariously through your ride report.

Dan
    p.s. Great writing!