The left turn lane

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 390beretta, Jan 28, 2014.

1. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to tell you all: Not only is the "left turn lane" being hugely abused in Phx, but the number of cagers doing U turns has increased a helluva lot....although I must admit, they are usually more cautious that the damned left turn lane users.
  2. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    It's there to facilitate making left turns without holding traffic up. The proper procedure is to signal, pull into the center lane, and wait until oncoming traffic clears, then complete the turn.

I've never seen anyone around here execute a U turn using the center lane.
  3. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, good for you man! It happens with regularity around here. However, in their defense; I have to say that Phx. drivers are (for the most part) real assholes.
  4. jmq3rd

jmq3rd .

Oddometer:
    What's the problem with a u-turn from the center lane? It's legal here, and if you wait for an opportunity (just like you would to make a regular left), it shouldn't be any worse than a left turn...
  5. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy But a moment's sunshine fading in the grass.

Oddometer:
    It's my understanding that in PA the center lane is for turns only, not for merging into traffic when you pull out. Of course it's used both ways all the time. How do I deal with it? I let them have their way. The clueless will remain clueless no matter how many horns they hear or fingers they see. I have never seen an LEO enforce this law.
  6. ttpete

Oddometer:
    Linky??
  7. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy But a moment's sunshine fading in the grass.

Oddometer:
    Are you asking if I'm "Linky"? I'm not.

I sometimes "drinky" though.
  8. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what the problem is here guys. I thought my original post was pretty clear. "Assholes using the left turn lane as a way of "merging" into on-coming traffic" OR, using the left turn lane to make a U-turn. WTF is so hard about that to understand? Now granted, if they're sitting there waiting to make a U-turn and are cautious....who cares? My original issue is with the assholes who "dart" across two lanes of traffic, take refuge, almost always moving (with blinker on or not) waiting to merge into traffic. IT'S F'ING ILLEGAL! WHY THE HELL ISN'T IT ENFORCED
  9. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experience is that most people here use the center lane responsibly as a merge lane. Legal or not... It's never bothered me.

I'm glad it's not enforced because I do it too.

I guess your post isn't so clear to me.

Jamie
  10. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Whoa.

[​IMG]

--Bill
  11. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jamie, sorry but what part of my post isn't clear? I object to the practice for a number of reasons. 1. It clogs up the left turn lane for those who want to use it for its intended purpose. 2. When drivers continue moving in the left turn lane while waiting to merge, it compounds the problem. 3. It creates a genuine hazard for motorcyclists beyond just a potential fender-bender. 4. Frequently, drivers "dart" across on-coming traffic just to make it to the left turn lane really without adequate clearance, which potentially causes a dangerous situation because the rest of us on the road can't read their mind regarding their intention.
  12. Idle

Idle Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is legal in California and Arizona, and likely always has been legal.

Source; http://www.arizonadriver.com/course_sample.html

Many major surface streets have center lanes that can be used by traffic in either direction to make left turns. A two-way left turn center lane is marked by double parallel yellow lines, with the exterior lines solid and the interior dashed on each side. If a street has a center left turn lane, you may enter and use it to enter or exit a driveway or private road, when preparing for or making a left turn, or when preparing for or making a U-turn if permitted. If exiting a driveway or private road, you may use this lane to merge. You may not drive more than 200 feet in the center left turn lane. You may drive across a center left turn lane if needed.
  13. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, thanks for the information. You may have seen my earlier post where a police officer I spoke with said it wasn't legal to use the turn lane for merging. Now that I've read your post, I guess I'll just have to shut the hell up and live with the situation:D I will say however that almost everyone violates the 200 ft. rule, at least around here. Thanks again.
  14. ttpete

Oddometer:
    Exactly. That's the way we do it here as well. I'm a bit surprised that it seems to be difficult to understand.
  15. ttpete

Oddometer:
    A long time ago, I learned to always take a cop's opinion with a grain of salt. They're not always right.
  16. PT Rider

PT Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Washington State law RCW46.61.290
    "(c) Upon a roadway where a center lane has been provided by distinctive pavement markings for the use of vehicles turning left from either direction, no vehicles may turn left from any other lane. A vehicle shall not be driven in this center lane for the purpose of overtaking or passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction. No vehicle may travel further than three hundred feet within the lane. A signal, either electric or manual, for indicating a left turn movement, shall be made at least one hundred feet before the actual left turn movement is made."

I use the center lane as a get-on waiting spot to merge into traffic going left. A problem here locally is with the dimwits who turn left and wait in the oncoming traffic's left turn lane! Man---if the double yellow line is on your left, you are on the wrong side of the road!!
  17. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know guys, I'm not sure I "get all of this shit"; my original post had to do with "assholes" who abuse the center lane (left turn lane). Now, thanks to a previous poster; I understand that I was wrong. (except for the MF'rs who abuse how long they can "travel" in that lane without merging. IMO, it's still a problem for moto riders! And one that "y'all (I learned that when I briefly lived in NC) need to be aware of and exercise caution. No hard feelings to anyone but I still think it stinks that cagers can use that lane to merge.:D
  18. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    It's an imperfect world and some just will never march lockstep with the nannystate. Deal with it. Else, you could always go Postal and pop 'em with your Glock... :lol3:rofl:lol3

--Bill
  19. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Bill, I'm not a gun nut; although I'm usually armed. My name "390beretta" refers to a shotgun I shot winning the '93 and '05 AZ state sporting clays championship. Please don't confuse me, my post name, with asshole gun nuts. By the way; I shoot 1911's, can't stand Glocks. Thanks.
  20. ZoSo15

ZoSo15 n00b

Oddometer:
    When I went to traffic school here in phoenix a while back this came up. And the previous poster is right, you can drive up to 200 ft.

But the general consensus is you shouldn't try to get up to speed in it. If you are using the center lane to merge you should come to a stop until you see an opening.

It works pefectly fine that way. When people actually drive in that lane it makes things way too dangerous because someone from the other side could be trying to take a left.

It pisses me off when people drive in it. Yeah, sometimes there's heavy traffic and you really need to use it if you don't want to wait all day, but it's not that hard to come to a stop. I don't understand why anyone would want to drive in it when it's a fucking two way.