New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    This. I vent through the cap and have no pressure issues. Also don't have a problem with filling the canister with fuel when you're topped up.
  2. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    The red dot is simply a decoration, although in some places, it's a religious symbol. Link

Seriously, IMO, the yellow dot / red dot shit is nothing to worry for a dual sport bike. I wouldn't worry about it. If you're really losing sleep, then line it up with the valve stem.

3. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks

Has anyone with a '14 done a partial canisterectomy yet?
  4. Louie_Doggs

Louie_Doggs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Resolved both probs:
    Injector was leaking, new one fixed it. Also it came with a little filter which I never had
    LCD screen dropping out was pin connector vibrating loose, fixed by making bigger pads with silicone that secure the LCD panel better
  5. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done a complete.
  6. MrHix

MrHix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try this thread, post #1521: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568324&page=102

Cheers,

MrHix
  7. TexaNate

TexaNate Fortune Favors the Bald

Oddometer:
    In search of the perfect tank bag - can anybody tell me which one is cheapest, mounts securely to the 690 (can be used offroad without rolling off), carries a lot and can be disconnected quickly and easily? (I know, I'm an easy man to please) ATM I'm considering the Giant Loop and KTM offerings.

Close to $200 for a tank bag just doesn't sit well with me but I'm willing to put up with it if it's a very versatile and refined product.

At the moment I use a $30 MotoClassic tank bag to carry some water, tools, maps, waterproof inserts etc. around on everything from 300mi road days to single-track and it's just a little flimsy because it relies partially on a magnetic tank to keep from rolling around. Yesterday I had to stop on the trails a lot to adjust it, cinch it down more or hold it with my knees...
  8. NickW909

NickW909 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wolfman Expedition Small.

http://wolfmanluggage.com/products/small-expedition-tank-bag

[​IMG]

Nick.

Sent from a little keyboard using fat fingers......
  9. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any issues?

Are there any advantages of the complete or is it just neater / getting rid of stuff that isn't being used?
  10. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    I went with the Giant Loop Diablo (Fandango looked too big for my taste).

I wanted something that is waterproof. While not inexpensive, there is no doubt in the quality of the product. It also unzips quickly from the base. Speaking of which, the base straps onto the frame of the bike very easily.

I was already a fan of Giant Loop products before I bought this one because I have the Mojavi and Coyotoe rear bags.

[​IMG]

11. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just getting rid of shit I don't need. And I hear with the "can" if it is saturated it drips on your foot. I ran a long vent hose from the fitting on the tank neck all the way down below the swingarm pivot. Two fold, one it's long enough that it if drips it's off/below the bike, and two, it's long enough to use for a siphon hose if I run out of fuel.
    BTW, I did not put a hose check valve in the hose, that did not make sense to me. Stock with the "can" it is vented to atmosphere via the "can", it can't build pressure or vacuum. With a vent hose check valve like on a dirt bike gas cap it could only vent to prevent a vacuum, but could build pressure. I see why you would want this if the end of the hose is between your legs, but if the hose ends below the bike I see no point. YRMV:D
  12. MrPDiddy

MrPDiddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Out today on the 690 when it started to cough / splutter when under power (although still ridable at this point) and would stall when stationary or when rolling the throttle off. This went on for the most of the morning as I took the view that I would take a look to try and fix it at lunch ... After lunch I swapped out both the plug (which looked OK) and the plug resister (have had one fail in the past), start the bike hoping all will be good but the cough, splutter and stalling are now worse to point were I had to trailer the bike home. Any ideas chaps??
  13. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    Fuel pump failing
    clogged injector
    clogged fuel filter
  14. MrHix

MrHix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Easy to check for loose wires to the coil, too.

Good luck,

MrHix
  15. fluff34567

fluff34567 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dont forget can also be a plug cap. After that experience I always carry a spare tyraped to the frame
  16. Tbone675

Tbone675 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My short little super plush suspension review.

I'm 215 with gear. I'm a average fast rider. My local riding terrain is lowish speed sharp impact which is not in the 690s wheelhouse in stock form.

For my 09 690 they recommended a respring/revalve on the shock and a revalve on forks. Quoted $730.

Out of the box the front is amazing. The old valving was way to stiff. The front deflected off every rock and root. The SPS mod is very compliant. It absorbs rather than deflects. It's so good I can now change direction in the middle of a rough washed out rock section. The front never breaks contact with the ground. It's excellent.

The rear is also very soft and now has a progressive feel. It was under sprung and over preloaded from the factory. The SPS heavier spring and softer valving gives it a more progressive feel. After I set the sag I had to make a small adjustment to the rebound. The back kicked up a little so I slowed the rebound 4 clicks. After that it is perfect.

I was worried that there wasn't going to be a huge difference and that it would have been a waste of money. My worries were unfounded. It is such a nice bike now. I feel faster and more comfortable in the rough sections. It's no longer a white knuckle death ride.

I'M A REALLY HAPPY SUPER PLUSH SUSPENSION CUSTOMER!

[​IMG]
  17. MrHix

MrHix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK,

I used the brute force method (torch, hacksaw, and file) and it worked great.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks!

MrHix
  18. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    So glad you got it sorted----ain't that a holy bunch of crap that a rider had to spend all that money to get it right !!!

BigDog
  19. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really. You'd think that race ready also meant ADV rider adjustment ready.
  20. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those that have done this what gauge wire did you use to put the resistor inline? Is 18AWG sufficient?

Also can anyone explain in Bartron's writeup on the wiki how using quick disconnects makes going back to stock easier? Don't you have to re-solder the wires to the original plug?