Hey Chopperman

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by choirboy, Aug 1, 2004.

1. choirboy

choirboy Yankee Racers - Founder

Oddometer:
    A still from the movie "Garden State."

[​IMG]
  2. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
    That's a Dnepr. The fenders give it away. Cool bikes. The Ural importer missed the boat on getting a bike in the movie. But it is easy to get a Dnepr for a flick. They cost way less. And in a movie it doesnt have to be street legal, nor does it actually have to run all the time.
  3. choirboy

choirboy Yankee Racers - Founder

Oddometer:
    Oh...I can't tell the difference. :dunno
  4. Chopperman

Oddometer:
    :D No sweat. I only learned the difference recently. IMO, the Dnepr fenders are very pretty. Nice and round, deco lookng. But the Dnepr isnt DOT/EPA certified. No dealers. You can get kits from Ebay. But you get a pile of parts, a bill of sale and a "good luck". I know a guy here who got a Dnepr kit on the road and legal. But it cost him about double the initial price and a bit of luck in that there is a guy here who is very into Dneprs. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. DMZ

DMZ Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer:
    Interesting, more history on that bike if you don't mind. E. German make? Soviet? It's got that look............
  6. Chopperman

Oddometer:
    I'm still waiting on my definitive book on russian bikes. But the Dnepr is a very similar bike made in Kiev rather than Irbit where the Ural is made. Cool bike, but doesnt have the QC updates that Ural does. The argument goes about the same as an Oil thread with adherents to both sides. I ran into several folk at the beemer rally who were of the opinion that the Dnepr is better. :dunno
    I think the fenders are sexier. But having to pull the seat to get into the trunk is a pain. As far as I know the Dnepr all come with dual wheel drive with a 70/30 split differential like the earlier Ural "Sportsman" did.

if you can stand the Italglish some interesting info here http://digilander.libero.it/cuoccimix/ENGLISH-automotorusse9-Moto(Dnepr).htm

more info here:
    http://molotovmotors.com/history.html

and you can deal with the russians directly: http://arbalet.net/

and it doesnt end there. Similar bikes are/were made by Jupiter, Zundapp, Chiang Jiang. I think Red Menace has owned one of each.
  7. DMZ

DMZ Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chop for the info and the links!!!
  8. Possu

Possu de-nOObed!

Oddometer:
    Where do Cossacks fit in to the picture re: Soviet BMW copies?

I've seen Cossacks, Urals & Dneprs in the UK but am unsure as to the differences.
  9. DMZ

DMZ Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer:
    Really like this prototype. Very cool.[​IMG]

By the way the molotovmotors website has a avatar ready animated graphic.
  10. Chopperman

Oddometer:
    near as I can tell cossacks are rebadged Urals, probably for some legalese reason or other.
  11. Chopperman

Oddometer:
    Yep very cool

one of the locals wants to build a Ural solo scrambler. That could be fun.
  12. DMZ

DMZ Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer:
    Recommend you take an overland/ferry trip to Russia and Kiev to research your up coming book. You would probably need a photographer.........
  13. Pete Rock

Pete Rock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wondering why those bikes aren´t sold without the sidecar. Seems that every Ural or Dnepr i see, even those with normal forks, are ridden with the sidecar, isn´t it easily detachable?
  14. Chopperman

Oddometer:
    There already is a definitive book on russian bikes.

http://molotovmotors.com/books.html

Wat I really want to do is to snag a brand new Patrol or GU and take it on the OBDR or Trans-Am trails and prove the durability of the new machines.
  15. Chopperman

Oddometer:
    Should prolly move this to Road Warriors or something. Not enough cussing going on...

The sidecar setup is normal. Solos are abnormal for the Ural. Why? well 3 wheels are better than 2 in the rough weather in Russia. Swingarm/Earles type forks are easier to make and more tolerant of fault. At least that is my theory.Also that is the niche they fill

There are 2 models sold as solos currently. The Wolf and The Retro Solo. The Troyka comes with a car, but has telescopic forks, so the car can be removed. But converting frequently is a PITA. Tires get worn into a solo-incompatible profile. And you have to reset the Toe-in and Lean out each time. Only takes minutes....but isnt like throwing a tankbag on or anything.
  16. Chopperman

Oddometer:
    Should prolly move this to Road Warriors or something. Not enough cussing going on...

The sidecar setup is normal. Solos are abnormal for the Ural. Why? well 3 wheels are better than 2 in the rough weather in Russia. Swingarm/Earles type forks are easier to make and more tolerant of fault. At least that is my theory.Also that is the niche they fill

There are 2 models sold as solos currently. The Wolf and The Retro Solo. The Troyka comes with a car, but has telescopic forks, so the car can be removed. But converting frequently is a PITA. Tires get worn into a solo-incompatible profile. And you have to reset the Toe-in and Lean out each time. Only takes minutes....but isnt like throwing a tankbag on or anything.
  17. Pete Rock

Pete Rock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got it.

Cool bikes.
  18. DMZ

DMZ Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer:
  19. Chopperman

Oddometer:
  20. kevbo

kevbo Rubbery-Lip Flappin' PHI

Oddometer:
    The Ural has a low pressure oil system, essentially splash lubrication

As I understand it, the Dneper engine uses pressure oiled journal bearings, vs. the roller bearings of the Ural. This allows the use of a one piece crank vs. the 3 (750) or 5 (650) piece crank of the Urals. Crank failures were commonplace on the 650s, seems like the issue probably is cleared up on 750s.

Dneprs were made for the USSR military. Once the Kiev (Dnepr, after the river) plant got into operation, The Irbit plant (Ural) served only the civilian market. This happened at some point after WW-II.

Cossaks are (were?) the same as Urals, a UK branding thing.

Dneper transmissions are said to be a bit stouter, and are recommended if fitting a BMW engine. (BMW transmission output turns the wrong way)

The bikes with leading link (Earls) front suspension have poor steering geometry as a solo. The telescopic forks do fine solo but suffer a little heavier steering as a hack rig.

Chop, I don't have Weav's book, so I look forward to being corrected when you get your copy of the Bible.